News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Daryl David

Re:The Dukes Course - St. Andrews
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2008, 05:08:43 PM »
How about a comparison to Bandon Crossings.  Perhaps a better match?

Philippe Binette

« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2008, 05:16:43 PM »
 To Slag:

Whooooaahh. Well I'll be. I was utterly fooled by the Hole 12  pictures. It seems that the fronting bunker is really several yards (maybe 20ish) from the green, and not on it's green slope.  Was I the only one hornswoggled?

The bunker is about 30 paces from the front edge, we worked hard on it to create that exact illusion of no room to run onto the green, making the hole look shorter and harder than it really is. From the back tee the illusion is better

By the way, the front of the green was reshaped to make the contours a little more subtle and use a natural drainage instead of a catch bassin so the tie-in is better

Philippe Binette

« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2008, 05:19:18 PM »
To RJ Daley who said: But, I also wonder if the more Aussie approach to bunker design, and maintenance would work in this terrain.  How far off is this terrain from that found at Kingston Heath, or RM?

The grounds is millions of mile away from Kingston Heath and RM. This is red clay not perfect sand, there's also 150 feet of elevation change

Norbert P

« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2008, 08:19:07 PM »
Mike, I find James Finegan to be a master of tact. He will rarely say anything negative about a course, but if he isn't comfortable praising a course about a certain aspect, he'll let other's make a statement. E.g., in his report about Bundoran GC in Ireland, he lets Christy O'Conner proclaim (paraphrased) "A man needs no more golf than Bundoran". Unless he's riding in back of somebody's BMW and has been told the cost of the vehicle. (That is a very esoteric old GCA post - can't remember who said it - that comes up the synaptic melting pot.)

How about a comparison to Bandon Crossings.  Perhaps a better match?

I wish I could do that for you Daryl, but I haven't played The Dukes. I will state that Bandon Crossings has complex greens, no tree corridors, is built on sandy soil, and is affordable, but I can't compare it to Dukes except that, visually, the bunkers at BXings are not as extravagant.  Oh, and I can play BX  without jet lag.

As far as the soils of Dukes, I found only in Robert Price's book, that it is built on "Undulating Terrain". I found nothing on the composition.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2008, 08:32:51 PM by Slag Bandoon »
"Golf is only meant to be a small part of one’s life, centering around health, relaxation and having fun with friends/family." R"C"M

Norbert P

« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2008, 08:29:54 PM »
The bunker is about 30 paces from the front edge, we worked hard on it to create that exact illusion of no room to run onto the green, making the hole look shorter and harder than it really is. From the back tee the illusion is better

By the way, the front of the green was reshaped to make the contours a little more subtle and use a natural drainage instead of a catch basin so the tie-in is better

A project well conceived and executed to a fabulous result.

From the angle of the picture, the shot looks to have been taken from the back tee, unless the tee is hidden in the trees.  And kudos on eliminating catch basin, the subliminal irk of anybody reading the naturalness of a course.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2008, 08:30:36 PM by Slag Bandoon »
"Golf is only meant to be a small part of one’s life, centering around health, relaxation and having fun with friends/family." R"C"M

Adam Clayman

« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2008, 02:50:01 PM »
As is Mr. Proctor's nature, after Doug Petersen informed him about me mentioning his involvelment within this thread, Dan wanted to make sure those who really did the work, received proper credit.  The 3rd hole (first pictured) alot of the work was done by Kyle Franz. Other guys who have done the work are; (hope the spellings are correct) Michael Neil, Brian Ceasar, Kye Goaby, and some by James Duncan. If I understood Dan correctly all of this work was done under Tim Liddy, who had the idea to do that style.

Great work guys!
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2008, 02:59:49 PM »
My father and I will be there in June.  Is it worth playing the Dukes?  Should we book a tee time now or would it probably be doable to just call up and get out to play one afternoon?

Thanks.
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Gary Slatter

« Reply #32 on: January 30, 2008, 04:02:11 PM »
Since moving to St Andrews in July I have played the Dukes 3 times, and enjoyed every round.  It has the best Philly 1937 style bunkering ever.  The greens are a little boring but overall I enjoy the Dukes as much as Kingsbarns, two completely different golfing experiences but both great fun. The Dukes niche is they have buggies which makes it the perfect afternoon course.  On a windy day on the links, the Dukes is also a good choice.

Sir Michael Bonallack can play anywhere, he plays the Dukes.  Andy Campbell and team have done a great job.

The 12th is a fine par three, and they have just redone the 13th and 14th.
Gary Slatter
gary.slatter@raffles.com

Bart Bradley

« Reply #33 on: January 30, 2008, 04:10:45 PM »
Gary:

As I posted above, I liked The Dukes course.  It was fun.  However, for anyone travelling to St. Andrews and having to select from the numerous good choices, it does not compare to the experience of Kingsbarns.  If you have unlimited time and play, I could understand your feelings...but, if you are in St. Andrews for a limited time make sure you play Kingsbarns and if you can add Dukes great.  Dukes is a course where the buggies do make sense...do they even have caddies?  They didn't offer us any last August.

Bart

Philippe Binette

« Reply #34 on: January 30, 2008, 08:07:48 PM »
If you're able to move around, don't forget Elie, great fun.

Playing the Dukes:
If it's your first trip to Scotland and you have 2 days in Fife, you have the spend time on the links first:Old, the New, Kingsbarns, Elie, Crail, Lundin and Leven then it's hard to fit in the Dukes, if you have more time then go ahead

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #35 on: January 30, 2008, 10:55:58 PM »
On a windy day on the links, the Dukes is also a good choice.

So you havent settled in yet Gary ?

::)

Gary Slatter

« Reply #36 on: January 31, 2008, 12:06:58 PM »
On a windy day on the links, the Dukes is also a good choice.

So you havent settled in yet Gary ?

::)
Aye - just finished playing the Old Course for the second time in a week. Today, 30-40 mph winds, 3-5 degrees, sleet or snow for 16 holes, PERFECT!  Really enjoyed it, was invited to play with the Thursday Club from St Andrews Club. Apparently they (11 others) were about to call it a day and I showed up, so the locals had to play! First hole, a cracking drive and a firm 1 iron utility club from 159.  George Peper won with 36 points!   I think if the Tour played here today someone would have had a chance to beat Tiger, maybe not.
The Castle Course would have been unplayable today.
Gary Slatter
gary.slatter@raffles.com

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #37 on: January 31, 2008, 10:56:09 PM »
Gary
Good to hear !

I am bunkered in Thailand at present  ;)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back