News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve Kline

Re:What CAN'T you relate to about the pro game?
« Reply #75 on: February 01, 2008, 06:31:04 AM »
Tom - I must have misread your post. In hindsight I certainly knew what the right shot was. But during the tournament it didn't even cross my mind to play a little left of the pin. I didn't think it was an option and decide screw it I'm going for it. I guess that was the subtle difference to me. It does cross the mind of the pros but it didn't mine in that situation.

Jim Nugent

« Reply #76 on: February 01, 2008, 07:13:47 AM »
Tom:

You have to understand that many of the things Jack has said about certain things over the years are probably things he did not really mean to say if he just stepped back and thought about it a bit more.

Only thing is, he backs up that statement with his actions.  He hardly ever plays golf any more.  And even those few times, I believe, are connected with his business.  

Andy Hughes

« Reply #77 on: February 01, 2008, 09:17:23 AM »
So, when there's no pressure I can do it, the first time I was under the gun I just didn't think through all the possibilities correctly.

Steve, how much of that do you ascribe to your very infrequent tournament play vs a touring pro's constant play and maybe equally importantly, the fact that you don't have Steve Williams or Bones (leave driver on 18 at WF aside!) or any other tour caddy on your bag to discuss and confer ad nauseum?
"Perhaps I'm incorrect..."--P. Mucci 6/7/2007

TEPaul

« Reply #78 on: February 01, 2008, 11:02:49 AM »
TomH:

You've been using terms like "the right choice".

What's that?

I hope you realize that can be pretty different even for players of totally equal skill and talent.

That kind of thing is what just amazes me about some courses that produce things like little booklets explaining how to play the holes on the course. Who the hell is that for but either the guy who wrote the book or some prototypical golfer? It's not reality---not even close.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #79 on: February 01, 2008, 11:12:35 AM »
TEP:

The right choice for each player to minimize his score given his skill level, temperament, weather, conditions, status of hole/tournament/match, barometric pressure in east Mongolia, etc.

So yes, I understand it's different for each player.

My point is, while I do believe the pros are far better at acting on this choice, I don't think it's rocket science to ascertain what the choice is.  And I do still believe the weekend warriors have a lot of aims and goals on the golf course that go far beyond minimizing their score.

Those little guides crack me up also!  "A drive down the center leaves a real shot at birdie."  Gee, I couldn't have figured that out!

;D

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #80 on: February 01, 2008, 11:26:33 AM »
Shivas:  well said, I can live with that.  I do believe there are plenty of golfers who have never bothered to try to learn course management, and could certainly learn from the pros, particularly the more subtle things.  It is isn't completely innate. I do believe that and should have explained it before.

TH

« Last Edit: February 01, 2008, 11:26:55 AM by Tom Huckaby »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back