News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

JMorgan

Re:"The Single Best Green Built in America in the Past 60 Years"
« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2008, 09:32:43 AM »
Hmm ... last 60 years puts it just post-WWII ...

#14 Garden City

;D

(Philippe, I just looked down at your post.  Pure coincidence from both angles.)

J Sadowsky

« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2008, 09:35:59 AM »
if it somebody's quote, it's probably the 14th green at some course we'll never hear from in 5 years...

if it's for a personal call, forget it, you gotta be a weirdo to make a call like that

It's a quote.

Dean Stokes

« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2008, 10:00:00 AM »
TE,

If you spent half an hour on #7 and #14 at Friar's, tell me, how many times did you have to use your wedge????
Living The Dream in The Palm Beaches....golfing, yoga-ing, horsing around and working damn it!!!!!!!

Doug Wright

« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2008, 10:23:10 AM »
Doug, has someone of definitive authority actually declared the single best green in America?   ::) ;D

Dick,

Yes this is a quote from a definitive authority.
Twitter: @Deneuchre

tlavin

« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2008, 10:26:46 AM »
Hyperbole will get you nowhere.  I'm guessing that the source of this plaudit might give a different answer today or might have some reservations about the statement today.  Perhaps he will weigh in...

And I would second Shivas's guess of #3 at Lost Dunes.  It's the best of the best set of 18 greens that I've ever played.  And yes, that includes Cypress Point.  See, I'm pretty good at hyperbole, too!

Dean Stokes

« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2008, 10:28:45 AM »
#6 at Seminole - maybe not the last 60 years though!!!!???
« Last Edit: January 31, 2008, 10:33:40 AM by Dean Stokes »
Living The Dream in The Palm Beaches....golfing, yoga-ing, horsing around and working damn it!!!!!!!

Philippe Binette

« Reply #31 on: January 31, 2008, 10:44:13 AM »
if it's an architect saying that on a course opening, my question would be:

does that means that the other 17 greens on the course are crap?

Adam Clayman

« Reply #32 on: January 31, 2008, 10:48:54 AM »
In researching this, Ran's comment on Inniscrone was about the set of greens. Not the single best.

C'mon Doug, spill the beans or provide some clues? Was it hype?

"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Doug Wright

« Reply #33 on: January 31, 2008, 10:54:44 AM »
I'm guessing that the source of this plaudit might give a different answer today or might have some reservations about the statement today.

This comment by Terry reflects my reason for starting this thread. The quote in question isn't a quote from an architect extolling his own work, but rather part of a sober (I think) analysis by a learned source of golf course architecture.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #34 on: January 31, 2008, 11:17:09 AM »
Knowing now when the review was written, Terry's point is germane as I believe the architect has been quite busy since.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #35 on: January 31, 2008, 12:29:36 PM »
Interesting, but my head went to Sand Hills right away.  I love the first green and the 17th greens complex.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2008, 12:29:49 PM by Tommy Williamsen »
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

TEPaul

« Reply #36 on: January 31, 2008, 01:15:22 PM »
"TE,
If you spent half an hour on #7 and #14 at Friar's, tell me, how many times did you have to use your wedge????"

Dean:

Never. All I had was my putter and about three balls. If I'm not playing any course and just looking at it for some reason I always take a putter and three balls.

ANTHONYPIOPPI

« Reply #37 on: January 31, 2008, 02:09:19 PM »
Three-Ball Paul:

Is it just me or is verging on becoming the Single Dumbest Thread of the Last 60 Years?

Is there a point to all this?

Anthony

J Sadowsky

« Reply #38 on: January 31, 2008, 03:00:55 PM »
Three-Ball Paul:

Is it just me or is verging on becoming the Single Dumbest Thread of the Last 60 Years?

Is there a point to all this?

Anthony

I don't think there's really a point in continuing guessing, I think the thread's point (to the degree its an important one) is going to be based on its identification.  I just don't think its right of me to identify it without Doug giving the say so.  If you want, I can message you the source.

George Pazin

« Reply #39 on: January 31, 2008, 03:25:47 PM »
I'd like to learn the answer - as well as how you found it on Google; I didn't.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Matthew Hunt

« Reply #40 on: January 31, 2008, 03:44:20 PM »
I know the Answer but will not say it to let someone else have a chance.

tlavin

« Reply #41 on: January 31, 2008, 04:28:17 PM »
I got the answer in about 2.2 seconds on Google, so the suspense isn't killing me anymore.

I'd tell everybody, but I'm leaving the office in a minute because we have a blizzard going on here in chicago so I have to run...

Kalen Braley

« Reply #42 on: January 31, 2008, 04:34:36 PM »
I hate to admit this, but my google skills are off on this one.  I've tried every variation of that phrase and coming up with nothing on Google...

ANTHONYPIOPPI

« Reply #43 on: January 31, 2008, 05:01:24 PM »
This is idiotic. Someone drop me a line at Apioppi@earthlink.net.

Anthony

Doug Wright

« Reply #44 on: January 31, 2008, 05:06:10 PM »
My my you all are an impatient lot.

Here is the quote from Ran Morrisett's 1999 review of High Pointe, which you can find in the Courses by Country section:

"13th hole, 430 yards: The single best green built in America in the past sixty years. A tremendous amount of thought and work went into the design of this green. The creative player can use the bold contours to help with the recovery shots around the green. Sometimes, the best way to get the ball close to the hole is to play almost 90 degrees away from the hole. If the green is firm, the back bunker is in play. Like a lot of Doak's greens, it warrants being played on numerous occasions to gain a full appreciation of the options available to the golfer."

As I replied to Terry, my point in this was (a) to see what some of you might say in response, (b) to see from the responses if there were more recent greens that might be candidates (there are), and after revealing the answer (c)  to ask you if you agree with Ran's comment at all. I, like Terry, also wonder if Ran would replace High Pointe #13 green--which admittedly is a terrific green--with something else now that it's 9 years later.

Sorry Anthony if you find this dumb. I found this strong statement from our Fearless Leader to be quite striking and it provoked my curiosity. The simple answer is don't read this or any other threads that you find dumb.

Ed Oden

« Reply #45 on: January 31, 2008, 05:07:25 PM »
I hate to admit this, but my google skills are off on this one.  I've tried every variation of that phrase and coming up with nothing on Google...

Kalen:

Spell "sixty" rather than using the number "60" and you will find the answer quickly.

Pat Howard

« Reply #46 on: January 31, 2008, 05:23:18 PM »
Anyone have a pic of this green?

John Kirk

« Reply #47 on: January 31, 2008, 05:47:16 PM »
I feel a much better barometer for excellence is an entire set of greens, and whether they offer a complete test of one's ability.  We recently had a thread about which are the best greens, and most people gave very severe greens, like Augusta National #14, as their answer.  Generally, greens like that tend to yield lots of short (5-20 feet) putts, and very few manageable longer putts.

Just like complete golf courses, wouldn't "the greatest green ever built" yield lots of "half-par" putts, where one has a 50% chance of two putting?
« Last Edit: January 31, 2008, 05:49:27 PM by John Kirk »

Garland Bayley

« Reply #48 on: January 31, 2008, 08:47:38 PM »
Just like complete golf courses, wouldn't "the greatest green ever built" yield lots of "half-par" putts, where one has a 50% chance of two putting?

The plus handicappers are thinking, as opposed to 1 putting. While us high handicappers are thinking, as opposed to 3 putting.

Personally, I have to put JK in the "as opposed to 1 putting" group.
 :)
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

John Kirk

« Reply #49 on: January 31, 2008, 09:41:51 PM »
My career average is 26.9 putts per round.

I'm kidding.  Where's the straight face emoticon?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back