News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

JMorgan

All or Nothing at All
« on: January 29, 2008, 08:12:52 PM »
A few days ago, as I was playing around with Google Earth, I discovered an interesting artifact amid the golf courses of the Hempstead Plain.  Just off the LIE, and just north of Deepdale and North Hills, surrounded by a housing development that was built during the mid-90s, I found this:

Zooming in, notice the oval pool within the cul-de-sac:

This is all that remains of canonical garden designer Russell Page's first US project, Kiluna Farms.  Kiluna Farms was the name of the North Hills/Manhasset estate of the late William and Babe Paley, founder of CBS and socialite extraordinare, respectively.  

When Mr. Paley died in 1990, the estate was sold to developers, who as a concession to town officials agreed to preserve part of Page's original design:

The above slide from the Smithsonian is a view of a small part of the original garden and the only portion of the garden that was salvaged when the estate was sold.  

So then I got to thinking ...

Say in fifty years, because of some lapse in succession planning, one of the historic courses discussed on this site -- The Old Course, Pine Valley, Hoylake, NGLA, Royal County Down, Merion, Royal Melbourne, Cypress Point -- succumbed to development.

To gain approval for their plan, site developers agree to build a new course at another site chosen by the membership, preserve a single hole of the existing course -- to be chosen by golf historians, members, and gca's -- or shall provide replacement costs to members for the course.  

Which option would you choose and why?

« Last Edit: January 30, 2008, 08:14:49 AM by JMorgan »

James Bennett

Re:All or Nothing at All
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2008, 09:45:17 PM »
Sounds like "Sophie's Choice" to me.  Obviously not as extreme as choosing between two children, but not a decision I would want to contemplate all the same.
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

Terry Thornton

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2008, 08:08:35 AM »
james,

here's an easier one for you; when the Crows fold due lack of interest which player would you take with you when you move on and support Essendon.

JMorgan,

I'd take the new course, at the end of the day I still want to play golf

James Bennett

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2008, 03:47:47 PM »
Terry

I used to be an avid Sturt fan.  Still am, but they are in the little league now (a bit like Leeds United).

In Melbourne there have been some clubs selling up to developers and moving further out onto new premises, but they haven't been Royal Melbourne (or NSW).

I will continue to play golf, and will continue to watch football, including games where the Crows are not playing.  I will barrack for Essendon in a few games (when they play the Pies, and the Power) just as I will enjoy my golf on a low Doak score, and the occasional game on a high Doak score.  And even playing on a very low Doak score course with people I appreciate.

At your course, at least the third hole is untouched!

James B
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back