News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Marty Bonnar

Hickory Buda (reclining)
« on: January 22, 2008, 06:18:35 PM »
Couple of (once again, crapo phone) shots from today. This time from the almost ready 9-Hole Hill of Tarvit Mansionhouse HICKORY(!) Course.

I suggest a BUDA sub-trip would be well in order.

Still not much info on Web to be found. I'll keep looking (and try to get a decent pic or two in next few months)

FBD.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Norbert P

Re:Hickory Buda (reclining)
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2008, 02:37:50 PM »
In Dundee.  Does Alfie Ward happen to be involved with this project?   Sounds like a great idea, and in an area conducive to be reached by the golfing public. Arbory Brae, though magnanimously and ambitiously recreated, was unfortunately quite a bit off the beaten path for repeated play.
"Golf is only meant to be a small part of one’s life, centering around health, relaxation and having fun with friends/family." R"C"M

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2008, 02:47:54 PM »
Not Dundee, but Fife!
Just outside Cupar (maybe 12-ish miles from St A).

(not much up to date info)

http://www.golfandthistle.com/

This'tle be a must play! Oy!

FBD.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Norbert P

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2008, 03:18:56 PM »
 Nice website, and terrific for golf.

I love the idea of the cafe going into the old stables.  Mmmmm.

One thing though, the site says they'll have 4 1/2 inch golf holes.    ? ? ?  

According to the R&A rules : The hole shall be 4¼ inches in diameter, and at least 4 inches deep.

« Last Edit: January 29, 2008, 03:20:44 PM by Slag Bandoon »
"Golf is only meant to be a small part of one’s life, centering around health, relaxation and having fun with friends/family." R"C"M

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2008, 05:58:19 PM »
No Alfie is sadly nothing to do with this. I'm hoping that if enough people show some interest, he might show up at the Sunday night at Anstruther event with his Hickories.  IM me if you'd be interested and I'll put it to him. (Hint "interest" translates as cash - he's a business man after all.).  I believe the people driving the golf side of this have tapped him for his knowledge and experiences in running a Hickory club.

If anyone here has some chance to talk to National Trust bigwigs about this you might point out they already own one of the most famous courses from the days of Hickory and gutta percha.  Reading their website wouldnot make you aware of this fact.  As far as I know I am one of only two people to have knowinghly hit a ball there in half a century and they threw the other one off, even though he was using all the correct gear and being very careful.  The ground is still there and it's not asking too much for them to keep the dog walkers off one day a year and invite the real golfers back.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2008, 05:59:21 PM by Tony_Muldoon »
Let's make GCA grate again!

Alfie

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2008, 05:41:38 AM »
Martin / Slag / Tony,

Melvyn tipped me off about this thread and I'll get back asap (tonight after work !) Meantime - sorry, no time !

Alfie.

Andrew Mitchell

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2008, 08:32:16 AM »
Tony/Alfie

I'd be more than happy to have another go with the hickories at Anstruther, particular if its that nice well balanced set I used at Musselburgh ;D
2014 to date: not actually played anywhere yet!
Still to come: Hollins Hall; Ripon City; Shipley; Perranporth; St Enodoc

Alfie

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2008, 05:06:13 PM »
Better late than never - I suppose ?

Tony's right on both counts. I was approached by Scottish Enterprise Fife, asking my opinions of the feasibility of Hickory Golf as a business concept. Of course, I told them that it was perfectly feasible  ;) Never heard another word after that !
Peter McEvoy is / was involved with the Hill O' Tarvit project but nobody came knocking on my door for any reason  :P Their perogative of course, and I still wish them better luck (and funding) than I had ! I just hope they run the place in such a way as to yield a profit, and also to pay tribute to the history of golf as a sport ?

Andrew,

The lefties are always available for you any time you're in the area. I had considered, before Xmas, selling off my 13 sets of hickory replicas in a bid to let the hickory dream go. Thought better of it - so I suppose I'm still in business ?

Hope all of you are hale and hearty ! Don't have much time for gca at the moment  :'(

Alfie.

RSLivingston_III

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2008, 07:22:08 PM »
This is exciting news. I am going to shoot out some e-mails to some of the top BGCS (British Golf Collector Society) members and see what is up.
I think the people currently involved must be in the BGCS as newbie's to Hickorygolf would not have defined the golf they are trying to achieve as being within a two decade period (1910-1930).
« Last Edit: January 30, 2008, 07:24:19 PM by Ralph_Livingston »
"You need to start with the hickories as I truly believe it is hard to get inside the mind of the great architects from days gone by if one doesn't have any sense of how the equipment played way back when!"  
       Our Fearless Leader

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back