News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Russell Lo

Blackwolf and Whistling Straits in June
« on: January 31, 2008, 04:03:30 PM »
Just got an offer to join a group to play in June. I have to fly from Hawaii so it is a quandry. Can anyone share their opinions on the courses, experience and lodging.

Thanks

Phil McDade

Re:Blackwolf and Whistling Straits in June
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2008, 04:36:58 PM »
Russell:

For accomodations, the American Club at Kohler is first-rate, a very nice place to stay, but also pricey. There are a few other options in the area, but they are clearly a step or two below the American Club.

Lots of folks have played the four Kohler courses who regularly post on the GCA board -- the River Course is generally viewed as the better of the two Blackwolf Run courses (over the Meadow Valleys). Most who have played both prefer the Straits over the next-door Irish course. The Straits course has the views of the big lake and the pedigree of having hosted the PGA and Senior Open; good friends of mine rate the Irish as just as tough of a test as the Straits, although not as scenic.

This site:

http://www.destinationkohler.com/

has details on most everything there is to see and do in Kohler. Don't miss the bathroom museum (no joke)!

Ed Oden

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2008, 05:03:29 PM »
If you want save a few bucks on your accomodations, stay at the Inn at Woodlake.  Not as lavish as the American Club, but perfectly fine for a guys golf trip and, most impoprtantly, still gets you access to all the courses.

Christopher Klingenstein

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2008, 06:11:24 PM »
Russell, the whole town of Kohler and its surroundings is top notch. I generally go up there a few times a year being so close from Chicago,

Inn at woodlake is just fine for a nice sized room, close to a few restaurants, has a putting green in the back... and there is a shuttle that runs between there and the american club where I urge you ro spend some time in the horse and plow

all of the courses are fantastic although I am biased to the Straights and River. the Irish course as previously noted is equally as challenging as the straights just not as scenic. I actually belive the course record on the Irish is still higher than the straights.The back 9 of the meadows is a terrific layout , it is the front 9 that i think lacks a bit.

You will have a wonderful time, I have no doubt about that,

Best Regards,

Mark Smolens

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2008, 06:57:24 PM »
Do not pass this trip up.  Depending upon the size of your group, some of the guys wouldn't have to stay on the Kohler property -- there's a Baymont Inn in Sheboygan which is clean and signficantly less expensive than the Inn at Woodlake.  On the other hand, you don't have access to the spa (great cold plunge pool and steam rooms) if you're off property.  The American Club is a wonderful hotel, but unless you have your wife or significant other along, not in my view worth the extra cash -- and it will be plenty.

The Horse and Plow is a great place for post-golf dinner with a group, but there is also the "5 Star" Immigrant Room if you want to hurt your credit card a little (the breakfast buffet in the Wisconsin Room is the way to start your day).

After the 1st four holes on the River Course, you'll be looking around wondering why everyone has been raving about the place, but hang on. . .  the next nine holes are among Mr. Dye's best ever, anywhere.  Start on the 5th tee and enjoy the ride.  You'd better be hitting your irons well, though, because if you miss these greens, or even hit them in the wrong places, you're in a heap of trouble.

J_ Crisham

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2008, 08:05:27 PM »
You are in for a treat-great Midwest golf. My advice would be to pass on the meadows course and replace it with the nearby Bull at Pinehurst Farms. One of Nicklaus's better  efforts. Just a little less expensive but not by much. Also if time allows Lawsonia is a fun day . From O'Hare 2.5 hrs will get you to the village of Kohler. The American Club is a great place with your spouse but an unnecessary expense on a guys golf trip. Especially in peak season. I get up there periodically from Chicago and always enjoy it .Oops I forgot to plug Erin Hills -a good but not great new course 30 minutes NW of Milwaukee- worth a round if time permits.

Andy Troeger

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2008, 09:24:47 PM »
Russell,
The courses at Kohler are definitely worth doing once, if nothing else the Straits and River make the trip. I'm partial to the River myself, its in my personal top five and even with a goofy hole or two I'd go back anytime other than the 1500 miles away part.

I like Meadow Valleys better than the Irish, which is the only one of the bunch I definitely wouldn't pay the going rate to play again. The front nine at MV is relatively ordinary (although I think the 2nd is a fine hole and there are a couple other pretty good ones too). The course shines starting on #12 tee and that stretch is about as good as anything at the resort (save #16 which I didn't care for). The Irish was just hard to me without the benefits of some of the other courses, but others like it and I would still try it once to judge for yourself.

Mark Smolens

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2008, 10:24:28 AM »
Andy, assuming they still have the replay rates, wouldn't you agree that the Irish and MV are worth the effort?  In our Memorial Day excursions (up until two years ago they had great specials), we paid the rack rate for the Irish, and they played Straits as our replay.

Jack, I haven't been to Erin Hills yet, but people who have say that it still needed some time for growing in.  Your thoughts on that topic?  There's a Shivas Irons Society outing there in July that I'm thinking about attending. . .

Andy Troeger

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2008, 01:55:06 PM »
Mark,
We went a couple years ago on one of those specials as well, although on ours we could only play Irish or Meadow Valleys as a replay for the price of the cart (whether you took it or not I assume). Still compared to their normal prices it was a good deal.

The Meadow Valley to me is worth one try even at the rack rate if you're willing to pay to go there in the first place. The Irish is borderline, but being that its pretty different from anything I've seen I'd still recommend it. If you can get the deals or as a replay then its a no-brainer to include them.

K. Krahenbuhl

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2008, 02:10:27 PM »
Mark,

RE Erin Hills you should definitely visit as it is really unlike any other course I have played.  The conditioning wasn't perfect when I was there with Jack last year, but a lot of that had to do with the heavy rains they had the week before we played.  I would think the course should be pretty well grown in by this July.

Russell Lo

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2008, 03:13:15 PM »
Thanks for all you insights. We're playing Straits and River on days 1 and 3 and MV and Irish on Day 2. (un)Fortunately we're staying at the American Club and it's guys only.

Hotel and property sound great (better be for the tariff), but you guys have convinced me that the River course and Whistling Straits are a must.

Unfortuntely for us the WAPL is being played at Erin Hills during our stay. Does anyone know if they allow public access after the matches on Wed.? Might be worth catching twilight there.

Thanks

Phil McDade

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2008, 03:25:41 PM »
You'll have lots of daylight that time of year -- you can probably golf until 830-9 pm, depending on how willing you are to take on a course in low light with several blind shots.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back