News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike Sweeney

Be Irish For a Day and play Newport CC
« on: January 28, 2008, 10:02:22 AM »
Strickly a public service announcement. I have no affiliation other than being on their mailing list.

June 16  Rhode Island Newport C.C. Golf Outing $625

For more info:

http://www.irishap.org/golf.html

I will not be able to attend.

John Mayhugh

Re:Be Irish For a Day and play Newport CC
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2008, 12:07:25 PM »
Thanks for posting this.

It's more expensive than the Oakmont outing, but may be worth doing just to check out that clubhouse.  I love the bunkering from watching the Women's US Open, but otherwise don't know that much about the course.  The Golfweek ranking has always seemed to underrate it.

For those that have played Newport, is it one of those courses that you must play if given an opportunity?

michael_j_fay

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2008, 01:27:23 PM »
I am a New Englander and have played everything pre-1930 of note in New England.

Newport CC is one of my favorites. The best bunkered golf course on either side of the pond, marvelous vexing greens, twisty hard (no irrigation system for the fairways) corridors. Mishit shots are eaten by the ground. The wind playing havoc with your game. Back to back three pars on the back (13 & 14) will test not only your physical but also your mental acuity. The game is played near the ground. You cannot play your game at Newport, you must play the game the course and conditions allow.

The clubhouse restoration is one of the finset I have seen anywhere. The detail on the old woodwork is phenominal.
There are an awful lot of great venues in New England, Newport is one of them. The overall experience of Newport CC is one of the special ones in golf.

Anthony Butler

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2008, 01:55:36 PM »
I am a New Englander and have played everything pre-1930 of note in New England.

Newport CC is one of my favorites. The best bunkered golf course on either side of the pond, marvelous vexing greens, twisty hard (no irrigation system for the fairways) corridors. Mishit shots are eaten by the ground. The wind playing havoc with your game. Back to back three pars on the back (13 & 14) will test not only your physical but also your mental acuity. The game is played near the ground. You cannot play your game at Newport, you must play the game the course and conditions allow.

The clubhouse restoration is one of the finset I have seen anywhere. The detail on the old woodwork is phenominal.
There are an awful lot of great venues in New England, Newport is one of them. The overall experience of Newport CC is one of the special ones in golf.

Thanks, Michael. You just saved me $625!  :)
Next!

RJ_Daley

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2008, 02:06:54 PM »
Well, it certainly looks like a fine event, even at the other 4 tournament venues.

But, I was wondering about the event purpose.  
The Irish American Partnership invites American men and women to participate in an extraordinary golfing experience conducted on behalf of education and job creation in Ireland, North and South.

Have our Irish brothers and sisters not heard of the plight of the decline from their middle class American cousins?  Ireland is reportedly experiencing the economic boom, whilst our traditional Irish american manufacturing jobs are going abroad and our currency is falling rapidly against theirs.  Don't the Irish have a greater social safety net (national health care) and a better educational system in terms of actually 'educating' their youth measured by outcome and competence, than ours?  I haven't come across an Irish kid yet who wasn't far ahead of our youth in terms of the quality of their education, writing and literary skills and knowledge.  

When will they hold a toon-a-mint to help us American Irish with a leg up?
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

J_ Crisham

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2008, 09:01:31 PM »
RJ, My thoughts exactly. Invite us poor Irish Americans over for a day at Royal Co. Down and Portrush on the house given the plight of the dollar-not quite the potato famine but hey who knows where the subprime mess will leave us. I wasn't even aware we were hosting a day at Beverly-should be fun.

Gerry B

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2008, 09:42:51 PM »
Newport is a gem. The renovated clubhouse is a beauty. The back tees - around 6900 yds are plenty of golf for anyone. Not a lot of roll - when i played there last summer. Some great par 3's and a nice mix of short and long par 4's - the finishing hole is a beauty. One can only lament the loss  of Raynor's 9 hole NLE  course - Ocean Links which was adjacent to the 3rd hole if i remember correctly. I heard that the club had the opportunity to purchase the course from T. Suffern Taylor's widow after his death - but declined.- i does anyone know if this is the case?

Eric Morrison

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2008, 01:26:19 PM »
I think someone around here wrote a book on 9 hole courses that covers Ocean Links in depth??? :)
It is what it is.

John Mayhugh

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2008, 02:48:39 PM »
Unfortunately unlike last year at Oakmont this event at Newport gives preference to foursomes.

Any on GCA putting together a foursome that comes up one guy short, let me know.  

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2008, 10:42:06 PM »
According to the CIA factbook the GDP per capita for Ireland in 2006 was US$44,500 and GDP per capita for the US was US$44,000.  In 2007 the Euro gained 11% vs. the US$ Ireland is forecast to have had real GDP growth of 4.7% vs. 1.7% for the US so the Irish are now more than 15% more wealthy than Americans.

PCCraig

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2008, 10:08:12 PM »
I was able to make it down there this past summer through a contact at TCC. All I can say is WOW. Just a fantastic place.
H.P.S.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back