News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark Bourgeois

Re:Royal Adelaide Golf Club
« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2007, 09:55:26 PM »
James,

Now there's a rankings system: "the Grange test." A bottle of The Grange or a round at X.  Sounds like both of us would end up with the world's shortest list of ranked courses!

Lloyd,

Have you considered returning during the Adelaide Festival?

Ed,

How'd you make out w/o a 60 degree?  Did the rain help out or did you win the "champion skuller's" medal?

ed_getka

« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2007, 10:01:39 PM »
Mark,
   It was looking iffy without the 60 degree wedge that everyone in Australia seems to use out of the sand. One lesson from Richard Macafee at KH sorted that all out in about 2 minutes and my 56 degree worked fine.
   There were actually only a few courses in my whole trip that had the really firm bases that are so problematic.
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2007, 10:57:17 PM »
Mark,
   It was looking iffy without the 60 degree wedge that everyone in Australia seems to use out of the sand. One lesson from Richard Macafee at KH sorted that all out in about 2 minutes and my 56 degree worked fine.
   There were actually only a few courses in my whole trip that had the really firm bases that are so problematic.

What is the bounce of that 56* wedge?  Most 60* wedges have low bounce which works great in hard packed sand.  55-56* wedges can be all over the board depending on what kind of sand you play from.  Maybe you got lucky and were packing an 8* bounce 56* wedge!   A 14* bounce sand wedge like the one I'm carrying these days for our new soft sand might have been a  disaster!

Lloyd_Cole

« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2007, 11:47:57 PM »
Lloyd,

Have you considered returning during the Adelaide Festival?

I would if I knew anything about it. When is it?

Tyler Kearns

« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2007, 11:48:27 PM »
Ed,

I look forward to hearing about your experience 'Down Under'. I am jealous, as I did not head over to New Zealand while there.

Royal Adelaide has some really good holes, #3, #4 (tee shot), #6, #7, #11 (except the green) and #14, however, the greens are too plain for my taste, and for really exciting golf. Granted, I have only played the golf course once, but it seems like the chance for multiple options on recovery strokes around the greens are lacking due to the absence of real contour. I do wonder why the golf course is so highly ranked, it is good, but not compelling or cerebral.

I am glad you made it to the Cleeland Reserve and fed the kangaroos. One of the great joys of visiting Australia was seeing the unique wildlife. Thinking back, I could have persuaded my wife to let me play even more golf after she got to hold a koala ;D.

TK

Mark_F

« Reply #30 on: May 11, 2007, 04:51:45 AM »
It's better than anything in Melbourne outside RM and KH imo, hence its a must visit.

Feel like expanding on your thoughts here a little bit Thommo?

A friend of mine played it a while back, and said that whilst it does have several excellent holes, half or close to half of the course was ordinary at best - 1,2,7,9,10,11,15,16,17 and 18.

Andrew Summerell

« Reply #31 on: May 11, 2007, 05:17:33 AM »
It's better than anything in Melbourne outside RM and KH imo, hence its a must visit.

Feel like expanding on your thoughts here a little bit Thommo?

A friend of mine played it a while back, and said that whilst it does have several excellent holes, half or close to half of the course was ordinary at best - 1,2,7,9,10,11,15,16,17 and 18.

When did you play it last, Mark, & what were your thoughts ?

Mark_F

« Reply #32 on: May 11, 2007, 06:41:30 AM »
Andrew,

Alas I have not played RA, only walked it a few years back when I was visiting my Godmother's son. As I didn't have my camera with me, and it was the middle of the day, I am unable to offer a definitive opinion.  :)

I hope to play there later this year, complete with my lovely new Pentax 67, some Fujichrome Velvia, and Tiffen warming polariser to help me understand the architecture.

I thought it appeared to be a mix of obviously very good holes - 3,4,6,11,and 14 -but with a few pretty ordinary ones too - 1,10,17,18.

I know more than a few people think the par threes are pretty average, too.  :) It's strength appeared to be in the par fours, not the par threes or fives.

It wasn't as dramatic as I thought it might have been.

Andrew Summerell

« Reply #33 on: May 11, 2007, 09:09:47 AM »
It wasn't as dramatic as I thought it might have been.

I'm not sure it is meant to be dramatic.

At what point is it worth adding to an overseas trip ? One week trip? No, not worth it. Two week trip? Probably.

Terry Thornton

« Reply #34 on: May 13, 2007, 02:47:07 AM »
Greetings readers, first post, pleased to be on board.

As a new member of Royal Adelaide (RA) this would seem an ideal topic for me to begin ‘g c atlasing’. I’m the person referred to by Ed Getka in his post who is a member both of RA and NSW golf clubs.
Probably best to explain my 8 – 2 observation between those two courses before I go any further. This was a reference to which course I enjoyed more. Having been a member of NSW for 22 years and RA for a little over 22 hours I’m not expecting my ‘old love’ to be usurped by another course anytime soon. I then replied that if indeed the courses were somehow both equally available then I’d not hesitate on a 50/50 split.

On to some personal thoughts about the course; Andrew’s reply post #3 and Tyler’s #8 encapsulate RA exceptionally, though I do find more merit in the greens than Tyler ascribes. I particularly can understand Tyler’s comment of wondering what all the fuss is about. On first inspection underwhelming is a word that may come to mind. My first game here was approximately 12 months ago when I moved over from Sydney. Having heard and read many great things about RA my expectations were high. Coming from a visually stunning course like NSW it was a bit of a shock to drive along the entrance road, which affords a view across at least half the course, and get an eyeful of what looked like a very ‘plain jane’ affair.
A few rounds under the belt later and my initial hesitations were well forgotten. RA is a course that reveals herself slowly, (to my amateur understanding at least) and many of my early judgements have been altered considerably. Most notably my derision to Matt Mollica and David Elvins of the pokey little green site of hole #8 which is now the green I most look forward to challenging each round. (unfortunately it was out of play when Ed and David visited)

3 of the par 5’s are as solid a set of long holes as you’ll play. While they don’t ask a lot of your tee shot the staggered bunker placement for your second provides you with ample opportunity to be perfectly placed after 2 shots, or even on the green, or being bunkered well back from the green or facing an approach shot from an unfavoured angle, the latter particularly the case on #2. The other par 5 (#17) doesn’t have as much interest for your first 2 shots but its green probably asks more of your approach shot than the other 3.

The par 4’s are the course’s strength, great variety in length ,266m to 445m, those of similar length having differing directions and terrain. Something which I’m particularly fond of are those greens close to the level of their surrounds, notably No.’s 1, 3, 4, 8, 10, 11 and 18. Ally these with some crowned numbers (8 & 10) and you have a test of golf that I find most enjoyable. These green complex types are not a feature of NSW so it has been a delight to be presented with the challenge of acquiring a new shot skill after so many years.

Par 3’s #7 and #12 are challenging without achieving greatness judged by the standards of many of the better Australian courses. Even prior to holing my 4 iron tee shot at #16 yesterday I considered it a very fine hole. Par 3’s with the green at a similar level to their teeing ground as this one has have always appealed to my eye and now of course I’ll not tolerate a bad word said against it. ;D

Cary, I can understand what your non gca buddy says. I have family visiting from the east coast in a fortnight, non gca types who love their golf. They’re going to play Kooyonga twice and RA not at all because I know that is what will appeal to them and please them most. For a gca’er there is lots to see and study, particularly if you have enough time to go round more than once.

Mark_F

« Reply #35 on: May 13, 2007, 03:06:42 AM »
Fantastic first post Terry.

You are off to quite a start.  Nice post here, and a classic one liner regarding Matt Mollica's sartorial splendour and the havoc it wreaks in the other one.  

James Bennett

« Reply #36 on: May 13, 2007, 04:07:50 AM »
Greetings readers, first post, pleased to be on board.

Even prior to holing my 4 iron tee shot at #16 yesterday I considered it a very fine hole. Par 3’s with the green at a similar level to their teeing ground as this one has have always appealed to my eye and now of course I’ll not tolerate a bad word said against it. ;D

Terry

welcome to GCA - you already have many friends on this site.  A 4-iron huh - how did you get home?  Did Lisa collect you?  Were there many in the clubhouse (silly question I know).  Well done, and elcome again.

James B

ps  Terry is another of those damn sinister, gauche golfers who stand on the wrong side of the ball.

Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

Terry Thornton

« Reply #37 on: May 13, 2007, 08:07:50 AM »

A 4-iron huh - how did you get home?  Did Lisa collect you?  

James B

James, unfortunately the ball disappeared into the hole approx 75 minutes before I was due at work. Just had time to buy the bottle of scotch for the members, no drinkies for me alas.

ed_getka

« Reply #38 on: May 14, 2007, 01:30:19 PM »
Terry,
   Welcome to the site. Thanks for clarifying your stance on the 10 round breakdown. Too much information for my brain to hold onto after 2 weeks on the go. :) I look forward to reading more of your insightful posts. Particularly after I post about NSWGC.
    Congratulations on the ace. I am very jealous.
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

ed_getka

« Reply #39 on: January 26, 2008, 11:54:43 AM »
bump

Anthony Butler

« Reply #40 on: January 26, 2008, 12:13:16 PM »
bump

Ed. The 60 degree wedge is a must have at many Australian courses. At NSW, you need it to elevate out of the revetted bunkers. Also, some of the greens get so firm you have to stop the shot with trajectory moreso than spin.

Lloyd, the Adelaide Festival is like the Edinburgh Festival except less funny. Unlikely you would see Flight of the Conchords. But you would definitely be inline to catch an Aboriginal dance troup.

i believe it was started by former premier Don Dunston back in the 70s. He was a true visionary. Back when everyone thought a good night out involved a 12 beers, a fist fight and chunder behind the pub, he was getting a Japanese Flute ensemble to come to Adelaide for a week of sold-out performances.
Next!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back