News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike_Cirba

Woodland Golf Club - Massachusetts
« on: January 25, 2008, 09:57:30 PM »
Speaking of old, historic clubs...for all you Rossophiles out there;

Some research info I've run across states that Woodland Golf Club in Massachusetts had both Alex Findlay and Donald Ross out to work on the building of a new 18-hole course in 1904. (incidentally, the club's website "history" seems quite different from the historical record I'm seeing in old periodicals)   This specific article was written by Arthur Lockwood, who went on to design a number of courses in his own right, including one very close to me in Pottstown, PA, at the Hill School, which today is nine of the holes at Brookside CC.

In any case, the original pics of the Woodland course look very intriguing, and I'm guessing this course may have been covered before and maybe I missed it, but I guess I didn't realize that The Donald had been involved in designs in New England this early on.

Another one mentioned that he worked with in tandem with Alex Findlay is Belmont Spring CC near Boston around 1909.

I hope this isn't old news, but I thought I'd throw it out there because I had never been aware of any connection between Ross and Findlay previously.

« Last Edit: January 25, 2008, 10:13:00 PM by MPCirba »

Ray Richard

Re:Woodland Golf Club - Massachusetts
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2008, 06:58:13 AM »
Woodland has been renovated recently by Stephen Kay and most of the bunkering has been changed to a modern style with flashed up faces and white sand. I don’t think much Ross etc. influences remain, although it is a fine golf course within a bustling urban location.

Michael Moore

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2008, 08:33:20 AM »
Mike -

This course has always been of interest, as it is squeezed into an interesting and very urban location three minutes from my mother-in-law's house.

The Wayne Stiles people have always corrected me when I have mentioned Ross in connection with this course.

This is interesting, I will get with Mendik and Labbance and report back.
Metaphor is social and shares the table with the objects it intertwines and the attitudes it reconciles. Opinion, like the Michelin inspector, dines alone. - Adam Gopnik, The Table Comes First

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2008, 09:43:45 AM »
Mike -

This course has always been of interest, as it is squeezed into an interesting and very urban location three minutes from my mother-in-law's house.

The Wayne Stiles people have always corrected me when I have mentioned Ross in connection with this course.

This is interesting, I will get with Mendik and Labbance and report back.

Michael,

If you need any further info, let me know.

THanks

Brad Tufts

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2008, 10:46:26 AM »
Timeline-wise, DR is credited with Oakley's design, the course he was hired from Scotland by, to be the pro and designer in 1900.  His design was a "renovation" from a rudimentary course.

Perhaps Findlay and Ross we on the case at Woodland together originally?  Because Ross was not yet established as an architect, at least in a National sense?
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back