News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

dsilk

Gator Creek- Sarasota.... any comments?
« on: January 24, 2008, 01:48:17 PM »
I have heard a number of varying opinions on Gator Creek- virtually all of them second hand and dated... is anyone in the treehouse familiar with it?

michael_j_fay

Re:Gator Creek- Sarasota.... any comments?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2008, 02:08:27 PM »
Played there Monday. The course is ok. Small greens that are surrounded by numerous bunkers. You need a very good sand game to survive. Wind is a big factor.

I've played Gator Creek multiple times each year for 12 years. The yardage is not horrific and the course is right out in front of you but it is a hard place to make a good number

Tees, fairways and bunkers were reasonably kept. Greens are a mess about 30% green dirt. They roll them often so they are actually fast. I was once told that Fuzzy Zoeller said after coming up short on a patchy green, "brown dirt is slow". Apparently, green dirt is not.

The course was originally a Joe Lee reworked internally and then altered by McCumber. I never played the course before the McCumber redo. The course is pleasant enough, it is an all mens's club and play moves exceedingly well.

Given my drothers in Sarasota I would play the Concession Club, Sara Bay Country Club and the Bobby Jones muni. I have played many of the housing development courses (The Oaks, Misty Creek, Founders Club, Lakewood Ranch, etc. and although all were pleasant they left little impression.

The Bobby Jones Muni has two Ross nines (the back side of both the American and the British Courses). I played there last weekend and marveled at the conditions for a course that sees 700 players a day. Sara Bay and Concession are private and I know at Concession you must play with a member. Concession is a special Nicklaus course with the best set of greens that Jack has built. The bunkering is excellent and the course has no housing in sight. It is certainly top 5 in Florida.

Sara Bay is a wonderful club with a very good Ross layout. Some of the toughest greens found south of the #2 course can be found there.

Andy Hughes

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2008, 05:53:26 PM »
Dsilk, I would echo Michael's comments.  The course is pleasant enough, but the nicest things about the place used to be pace of play, conditioning (not familiar with the greens issue mentioned) and mostly the fact that it was men-only and some 'odd' antics have been known to go on. I have not been there in at least 10 years.

Michael, have you been to the Oaks since the recently completed work?
"Perhaps I'm incorrect..."--P. Mucci 6/7/2007

michael_j_fay

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2008, 07:59:49 PM »
No, but the reviews I heard were positive.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back