News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Paul Richards

Miami golf
« on: December 28, 2007, 05:00:10 PM »
Besides Doral, what else is around Miami that is really good?

I have TPC at Eagle Trace and CC of Miami (West) off of some older Golf Digest lists.

Thanks in advance!

"Something has to change, otherwise the never-ending arms race that benefits only a few manufacturers will continue to lead to longer courses, narrower fairways, smaller greens, more rough, more expensive rounds, and other mechanisms that will leave golf's future in doubt." -  TFOG

wsmorrison

Re:Miami golf
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2007, 05:09:16 PM »
Normandy Shores is a late Flynn (1936) that has recently been renovated.  It was pretty bland when Tom and I were there a few years ago.  Much of it was due to benign neglect.  It might be worth checking out.

The only other course I know in the area is very private and a marvelous design and engineering feat...Indian Creek.  If you have connections, it is a course worth seeing.

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2007, 05:50:36 PM »
I have never played or heard of anything besides Doral and Indian Creek.

Southern Florida public courses are pretty bland.
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2007, 06:08:36 PM »
The Biltmore in Coral Gables(Ross) might be worth a try as it was recently renovated by Brian Silva(5M) and reopened in November.

www.travelandleisure.com/tlgolf/articles/golf-globalgolf-fabled-floridian

« Last Edit: December 28, 2007, 06:15:57 PM by Steve_ Shaffer »
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Pete Stankevich

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2007, 09:40:54 PM »
Fisher Island is a private 9 hole course just a short ferry ride from the causeway going out to South Beach.  If you have a connection to get on, it's a very different and fun experience.  The course is always in tremendous shape, has amazing views, and you'll often see more iguanas than golfers.

Michael Robin

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2007, 12:17:34 AM »
Crandon Park is well worth the trip out to Key Biscayne. Used to play it when I was at UM from '80-'84. In fact it was pretty much our home course when it used to be called The Key Biscayne Golf Links or The Links at Key Biscayne.

Very tough from all the way back. Always thought of as the best public course in South Florida back when. Played in a qualifying round one day with our number one player, Woody Austin. In the days of persimmon drivers and no graphite, I played my ass off and shot 76. Woody missed 5 putts inside of seven feet and shot 64, 8 under. He also hit 3 drives 100 yards past me. The 14th hole is a par 5 of about 565 yards at the time. I hit Driver, 3-wood, full SW to about 10 ft and missed. Woody hit Driver, 8 iron half of a revolution from going in the jar for a 2. It was after this eye-opening day that I concentrated much harder on my studies and let the PGA Tour dream become someone else's reality.

Seem to remember a good set of par 3s and a couple of other worthwhile holes.

Paul Richards

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2008, 07:48:47 PM »
So which of the following are within 60 mins of Miami International?

Thanks!

Admiral's Cove
Jupiter, FLM
Bear Lakes CC- The Lakes Course
West Palm Beach, FLM
Biltmore GC
Coral Gables, FLC
Boca Raton Resort & Club - Country Club Course
Boca Raton, FLM
Boca Raton Resort & Club - Resort GC
Boca Raton, FLM
Boca Rio GC
Boca Raton, FLM
Bridgewater, Club at
Lakeland, FLM
Broken Sound - Club Course
Boca Raton, FLM
Broken Sound - Old Course
Boca Raton, FLM
CC of Florida
Village of Golf, FLC
Club de Bonmont at Plantation Bay
Ormond Beach, FL
Conservatory at Hammock Beach
Palm Coast, FL
Coral Creek Club
Placida, FL
Coral Ridge CC
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Crandon Park Golf Course
Key Biscayne, FL
Deering Bay Yacht & CC
Coral Gables, FL
Doral CC - White
Miami, FL
Dunes at Seville
Homosassa, FL
Dye Preserve
Jupiter, FL
Emerald Dunes
West Palm Beach, FL
Fleming Island Plantation, GC at
Orange Park, FL
Floridian
Stuart, FL
Frenchmans Creek - South Course
Palm Beach Gardens, FL
Glen Lake CC
Weeki Wachee, FL
Grand Haven
Palm Coast, FL
Grandezza CC
Estero, FL
Gulf Stream GC
Delray Beach, FL
Hammock Dunes
Palm Coast, FL
Harmony Golf Preserve
Harmony, FL
Heron G&CC
Northport, FL
High Ridge CC
Boynton Beach, FL
Hunters Run CC - South Course
Boynton Beach, FL
Ibis G&CC - Tradition Course
West Palm Beach, FL
Indian Creek GC
Miami Beach, FL
Jacaranda GC - East
Plantation, FL
Jacaranda GC - West
Plantation, FL
Jonathan's Landing - Old Trail Course
Palm Beach Gardens, FL
Juliette Falls GC
Dunnellon, FL
Jupiter Hills Club - Village Course
Tequesta, FL
La Gorce CC
Miami Beach, FL
Legacy Course at Alaqua
Alaqua Lake, FL
Links at Madison Green
Royal Palm Beach, FL
Lost Tree
North Palm Beach, FL
Loxahatchee Club
Jupiter, FL
McArthur
Hobe Sound, FL
Mirasol - Sunset Course
Palm Beach Gardens, FL
Miromar Lakes Beach and GC - Signature Course
Estero, FL
Mission Inn - El Campeon
Howey-in-the Hills, FL
North Palm Beach CC
Ocean Course at Hammock Beach
Palm Coast, FL
Old Corkscrew GC
Estero, FL
Old Palm Golf Club
Palm Beach Gardens, FL
Parkland G&CC
Parkland, FL
Ravines
Middleburgh, FL
Ritz-Carlton Golf Club and Spa - Jupiter
Jupiter, FL
River Hall CC
Alva, FL
River Wilderness Golf & CC
Parrish, FL
Royal St Cloud Golf Links
St Cloud, FL
Shalimar Pointe G.C
Shalimar, FL
Shark's Tooth GC
Lake Powell, FL
Stoneybrook West GC
Winter Garden, FL
Sugarloaf Mountain Golf & Town Club
Minneola, FL
Tesoro Club
Port St. Lucie, FL
Turnberry Isle Resort & Club - North
Aventura, FL
Turnberry Isle Resort & Club - South
Aventura, FL
West Bay Club
Estero, FL
Weston Hills CC
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Windswept Dunes Club
Freeport, FL
"Something has to change, otherwise the never-ending arms race that benefits only a few manufacturers will continue to lead to longer courses, narrower fairways, smaller greens, more rough, more expensive rounds, and other mechanisms that will leave golf's future in doubt." -  TFOG

J_ Crisham

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2008, 08:03:45 PM »
Paul,  a bunch of the courses you listed are all the way over on the gulfside in the area of Naples, Ft. Myers, Estero. You would be hard pressed to get to these places in less than 1.5- 2hrs depending on traffic. you can take alligator alley to get over there. The traffic can be brutal in this area this time of year. If you decide to head over Old Corkscrew, Tiburon, and the courses at Lely are well regarded. Good Luck!

Peter Nomm

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2008, 08:07:49 PM »
I just had a good referral for the Miami Beach Golf Club.  No idea myself, but a former assistant there said it was worth the trip.

Paul Richards

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2008, 08:12:07 PM »
Jack or anyone:

please do me the great favor of crossing off those courses that don't meet the '1-hour ' requirement, so that we know what courses are within our reach.

thanks
Paul
« Last Edit: January 27, 2008, 08:33:58 PM by Paul Richards »

J_ Crisham

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2008, 08:44:53 PM »
Paul, I'm hardly an expert in this area of FL. I spend time over in Naples. My guess is Boynton Beach to the North, 60miles is about your limit. I would suggest you search clubs in Dade and Broward counties. Some of the courses were up near St. Augustine-Palm Coast, Flagler Beach, Ormond Beach 5hrs without heavy traffic. Also some of the courses I have never heard of so not quite sure what county in which they reside-Have fun!

Paul Richards

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2008, 11:14:13 PM »
Jack

Thanks for your help.

Anyone from the Miami area that can help us out here?

???

Andy Troeger

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2008, 11:19:45 PM »
So which of the following are within 60 mins of Miami International?

Thanks!

Admiral's Cove
Jupiter, FLM
Bear Lakes CC- The Lakes Course
West Palm Beach, FLM
Biltmore GC
Coral Gables, FLC
Boca Raton Resort & Club - Country Club Course
Boca Raton, FLM
Boca Raton Resort & Club - Resort GC
Boca Raton, FLM
Boca Rio GC
Boca Raton, FLM
Bridgewater, Club at
Lakeland, FLM
Broken Sound - Club Course
Boca Raton, FLM
Broken Sound - Old Course
Boca Raton, FLM
CC of Florida
Village of Golf, FLC
Club de Bonmont at Plantation Bay
Ormond Beach, FL
Coral Creek Club
Placida, FL
Coral Ridge CC
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Crandon Park Golf Course
Key Biscayne, FL
Deering Bay Yacht & CC
Coral Gables, FL
Doral CC - White
Miami, FL
Dye Preserve
Jupiter, FL
Emerald Dunes
West Palm Beach, FL
Fleming Island Plantation, GC at
Orange Park, FL
Floridian
Stuart, FL
Frenchmans Creek - South Course
Palm Beach Gardens, FL
Gulf Stream GC
Delray Beach, FL
Harmony Golf Preserve
Harmony, FL
Heron G&CC
Northport, FL
High Ridge CC
Boynton Beach, FL
Hunters Run CC - South Course
Boynton Beach, FL
Ibis G&CC - Tradition Course
West Palm Beach, FL
Indian Creek GC
Miami Beach, FL
Jacaranda GC - East
Plantation, FL
Jacaranda GC - West
Plantation, FL
Jonathan's Landing - Old Trail Course
Palm Beach Gardens, FL
Juliette Falls GC
Dunnellon, FL
Jupiter Hills Club - Village Course
Tequesta, FL
La Gorce CC
Miami Beach, FL
Legacy Course at Alaqua
Alaqua Lake, FL
Links at Madison Green
Royal Palm Beach, FL
Lost Tree
North Palm Beach, FL
Loxahatchee Club
Jupiter, FL
McArthur
Hobe Sound, FL
Mirasol - Sunset Course
Palm Beach Gardens, FL
Mission Inn - El Campeon
Howey-in-the Hills, FL
North Palm Beach CC
Old Palm Golf Club
Palm Beach Gardens, FL
Parkland G&CC
Parkland, FL
Ravines
Middleburgh, FL
Ritz-Carlton Golf Club and Spa - Jupiter
Jupiter, FL
River Hall CC
Alva, FL
River Wilderness Golf & CC
Parrish, FL
Royal St Cloud Golf Links
St Cloud, FL
Shalimar Pointe G.C
Shalimar, FL
Shark's Tooth GC
Lake Powell, FL
Stoneybrook West GC
Winter Garden, FL
Sugarloaf Mountain Golf & Town Club
Minneola, FL
Tesoro Club
Port St. Lucie, FL
Aventura, FL
Aventura, FL
Weston Hills CC
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Windswept Dunes Club
Freeport, FL

Paul,
I took out the ones I know aren't close to Miami. I usually get the trusty atlas out and use their key after that or look some of the cities on mapquest and it'll tell you where they are. Its a little tedious but can be an interesting geography lesson!  ;D
« Last Edit: January 27, 2008, 11:21:55 PM by Andy Troeger »

Paul Richards

« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2008, 11:28:01 PM »
Andy

Thanks.

Short of spending 5 hours searching thru the list and on the internet, I thought it more prudent to find someone with 'local knowledge' of the Miami area.

I appreciate the effort!

;)

Mark Arata

« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2008, 07:00:40 AM »
it has been awhile, but I was just down in Florida for last year' superbowl and went to see my aunt and uncle in WPB, nothing north of Ft Lauderdale limits is close to being 1 hour from Miami international with traffic.

From what I know that is within that range. the best left on this this list that I have played would be Crandon Park (first regulation golf course I ever played, played it last year, still a lot of fun and a good challenge with the wind up), the two courses at Turnberry Isle, and Weston Hills. I had heard that the Biltmore had some work done to it, but I dont know that for sure.

Anyway, Key Biscayne is about 15 minutes from the airport, it is public, and it is a fun course with absolutly huge runway tee boxes that can add up to 70 - 100 yards on some holes, #'s 1, 4, 10, and 18 in particular. Has some nice views of Miami on the back nine off the water. That would be my suggestion. Used to play Weston Hills when I lived there, been at least 10 years, but it was a good course back then. They used to hold the Honda Classic there for awhile, then moved it for the flavor of the month every year after that.

Off to AZ for this year's game, see ya.

Biltmore GC
Coral Gables, FLC
Coral Creek Club
Placida, FL?
Coral Ridge CC?
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Crandon Park Golf Course
Key Biscayne, FL
Deering Bay Yacht & CC
Coral Gables, FL
Doral CC - White
Miami, FL
Gulf Stream GC
Delray Beach, FL
Indian Creek GC
Miami Beach, FL
Jacaranda GC - East
Plantation, FL
Jacaranda GC - West
Plantation, FL
La Gorce CC
Miami Beach, FL
Aventura, FL
Aventura, FL
Weston Hills CC
Fort Lauderdale, FL
New Orleans, proud to swim home...........

David Federman

« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2008, 09:42:02 AM »
Deerfield is a challenging, well-maintained public (semi-private) course about 30 minnutes north of Miami; Polo Trace is a fine lay-out right up 95N - but is just about at the 1 hour limit (dependingon where in Miami you are staying). Emerald Dunes is a fine Fazio, but it is about 90 minutes North of Miami and was taken private about a year ago.
Stay away from Heron Bay TPC - very boring tract, not worth the money charged. As far as Doral is concerned, the Gold course is the best value, IMHO. It is not worth shelling out the $$$$ for the Blue Monster and Norman's course is mediocre.

Adam_Messix

« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2008, 11:35:25 AM »
Wayne--

I was just down at Normandy Shores and it is still being renovated and will reopen in September.  The architect involved in the renovation is Arthur Hills.  What I saw of it looks interesting.....

wsmorrison

« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2008, 12:00:46 PM »
Adam,

I hope you took some pictures.  If not, after you're done playing its big brother a bit further north, get back there and get photos!  I guess Art Hills is fashioning his own course on the grounds and the Flynn will be lost.  Is that a correct assumption?

Adam_Messix

« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2008, 12:15:02 PM »
Wayne--

I'm not so sure....  I did not have the Flynn plans in front of me so it's difficult to tell.  But, I am going back there in March when the shaping work should be completed and there should be a better idea of what is going on.  Unfortunately, my visit to Normandy was on very short notice (based on a comment I made during post round beverages) after a round at IC.  

Michael Powers

« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2008, 05:28:05 PM »
Normandy Shores was one of the courses we had privileges on when I played college golf down there in the late 80's and early 90's.  I always found it a challenge, especially off the tee, where several water hazards were in play.  Made my first ace there on the front, maybe #8.  I had no idea it was a Flynn.
HP

wsmorrison

« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2008, 05:54:47 PM »
Adam,

You aren't carrying around your Flynn manuscript and drawings with you everywhere you go?  For shame!

Michael,

It was a long-neglected Flynn that you played, probably hit by more than a few big storms since Flynn built it in 1936.  I guess it will be more Hills than Flynn.  Here's a copy of the plans.  Pretty tight squeeze.  They should have built the island a bit bigger ;)

« Last Edit: January 28, 2008, 05:55:33 PM by Wayne Morrison »

Evan Fleisher

« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2008, 06:57:55 PM »
it has been awhile, but I was just down in Florida for last year' superbowl and went to see my aunt and uncle in WPB, nothing north of Ft Lauderdale limits is close to being 1 hour from Miami international with traffic.

From what I know that is within that range. the best left on this this list that I have played would be Crandon Park (first regulation golf course I ever played, played it last year, still a lot of fun and a good challenge with the wind up), the two courses at Turnberry Isle, and Weston Hills. I had heard that the Biltmore had some work done to it, but I dont know that for sure.

Anyway, Key Biscayne is about 15 minutes from the airport, it is public, and it is a fun course with absolutly huge runway tee boxes that can add up to 70 - 100 yards on some holes, #'s 1, 4, 10, and 18 in particular. Has some nice views of Miami on the back nine off the water. That would be my suggestion. Used to play Weston Hills when I lived there, been at least 10 years, but it was a good course back then. They used to hold the Honda Classic there for awhile, then moved it for the flavor of the month every year after that.

Off to AZ for this year's game, see ya.

Biltmore GC
Coral Gables, FLC
Coral Creek Club
Placida, FL?
Coral Ridge CC?
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Crandon Park Golf Course
Key Biscayne, FL
Deering Bay Yacht & CC
Coral Gables, FL
Doral CC - White
Miami, FL
Gulf Stream GC
Delray Beach, FL
Indian Creek GC
Miami Beach, FL
Jacaranda GC - East
Plantation, FL
Jacaranda GC - West
Plantation, FL
La Gorce CC
Miami Beach, FL
Aventura, FL
Aventura, FL
Weston Hills CC
Fort Lauderdale, FL

Paul,

Mark has pretty much nailed it here.  As a former Miami-an myself, his list is fairly comprehensive if what is available.  If you have any specific questions about a course, Email or IM me.
Born Rochester, MN. Grew up Miami, FL. Live Cleveland, OH. Handicap 12.2. Have 24 & 21 year old girls and wife of 27 years. I'm a Senior Supply Chain Business Analyst for Vitamix. Diehard walker, but tolerate cart riders! Love to travel, always have my sticks with me. Mollydooker for life!

Michael Powers

« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2008, 02:35:24 PM »
Thanks for a look at the plans Wayne.  Not alot of acreage there for sure.  The action at Normandy in 40's and 50's was unreal I guess.  I used to play quite a bit with Al Besselink and Dan Topping in the early 90's and they had some great stories.

"Back then, he says, he lived “to gamble and to bet, on anything, absolutely anything.” Living in Miami, the tall, blond, blue-eyed, and fair-skinned Besselink was known as “the Viking.” “We used to go over to Normandy Shores Golf Club on Miami Beach and sit around all morning trying to make a game. There’d be all kinds of games, $50 games, $100 games, $500 games, $1,000 games, you name it. You sit around long enough, you’d find what you’d want.”

Amrerican Heritage Magazine, by Tom Lecompte

HP

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back