News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tom Huckaby

Re:O/T Huckaby distraught
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2008, 11:58:41 AM »
Peter my friend, as you well know POINTS wins this and that other stuff matters only if such remain tied at the end.  I would have thought it below a ManU supporter to stoop for such things, but then again you've been looking up at us all season so I am not surprised.  But well said re all the rest.

;D

And Michael, this is indeed a fine time for football.  We are fortunate indeed.  Well said.

I still hate Ronaldo though.  Interestingly also, I am Gooner through and through... but I like Rooney.  I honestly do hate Ronaldo.  Pretty boy.

TH
« Last Edit: January 23, 2008, 12:00:34 PM by Tom Huckaby »

Kalen Braley

« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2008, 12:03:49 PM »
I too think the Spurs got a great shot this year.

With Duncan, Parker, and Ginobbli all playing well they should take down the Western Conference again.   ;D  ;)

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2008, 12:09:29 PM »
I too think the Spurs got a great shot this year.

With Duncan, Parker, and Ginobbli all playing well they should take down the Western Conference again.   ;D  ;)

LOL!
Love it.  Mention "Spurs" to any friend around here and 49 would likely respond just as you did.

Rare is the American that follows English football.

Just understand that you hate the English version of them, Kalen.  Trust me.  Equate them to a nagging neighborhood brat who thinks he's great but needs to be squashed.

Michael Wharton-Palmer

« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2008, 12:14:10 PM »
Tom
I understand as a gooner hating the guy...but what a talent..this is the best player since Best at United, and in my opinion the first player ever in the Premiership that we can claim as being the best in the world...something that la liga or serie a has always been able to claim.

I dont care if he was wearing that silly shirt that you guys wear, he would still be the most exciting player for decades.

I only hope that he remains content to stay in the rain and mist of Manchester

Kalen Braley

« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2008, 12:18:02 PM »
I think Jim Rome said it best:

"Soccer is not a sport, its a way to die!!"   :P  :D

I'm guessing he was referring to the massive brawls and "crushes" that have occured over the years killing hundreds.

One thing sure seems true about Soccer fans, they sure seem to really be passionate about thier sport.  I guess Americans are just into scoring more...I mean come on, what other game can you score a goal in the first 10 minutes and have it be virtually over.  Just play everyone back, pack the box and its ballgame baby!!!

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2008, 12:22:19 PM »
Michael:

That all makes sense to me.  I should appreciate him, no matter what team he plays for.  He is truly great.  Just remember that I wrote something that no Gooner ever ought to write:  I like Rooney!  So this has nothing to do with the shirt, although of course by donning the awful one each has each has become inherently evil.   ;)

No, it really does make no sense, outside of this:  Ronaldo to me is all flash and zero grit.  I really feel like I could beat the crap out of him if I wanted to, and I am 5-9, 200 pounds, completely out of shape and 44 years old.  Now I don't need all footballers to be tough, and of course the god of all gods Thierry Henry wasn't exactly a scrapper...

I just don't like these flashy players who get pushed over by a fingertip touch and cry like babies every time it happens.  On top of that, Ronaldo is a better diver than Greg Louganis ever was.

Sad thing is they ALL dive now, it's become part of the game... but Ronaldo is an artist.

This ought to get my friend Peter rolling....

But man, give me Rooney any day.  He has exquisite skill AND could hold his own against Tyson.

TH

Michael Wharton-Palmer

« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2008, 12:45:21 PM »
Rooney wakes up every morning thanking his lucky stars for football..otherwise he would ne in the nick...but I agree what a player.
His partnership with tevez has been great to watch, long may it continue.
Much like your comments on Rooney..remember I also sais that I admire the way Arsenal are playing...not what a true Red should openly admit...but I feel safe saying it on this site :)

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2008, 12:48:38 PM »
Michael:  I feel the same way, safe discussion here... painful elsewhere.

;D

Thus... Tevez is one hell of a player also.  And shame of all shames I also like and respect damn near all other ManU players.

It's just Ronaldo who rouses my ire.

And you are a good man to respect the beautiful game played at Arsenal.... even allowing for our players to head-butt each other from time to time.

;)

Mark Pearce

« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2008, 12:51:03 PM »
Peter McKnight,

I expect Spurs will play on Sunday just like they played last night.  Two banks of four defending deep, harrying and chasing and closing down in midfield and from the front.  Break quickly with the ball.

According to Sky TV Arsenal had 61% of the possession last night and yet Cerny only made one save.  Spurs are almost as dangerous on the counter as Arsenal and United and their defensive record when King plays,as he will on Sunday bears no relation to that when he doesn't.

A United supporting colleague of mine has this game as a 60/40 shot because it's at Old Trafford.  Remember that Spurs only lost at Highbury in the league because they missed a penalty and only lost 1-0 at Old Trafford this season in the league.

Oh, by the way, we'll also qualify for next year's UEFA Cup if we win the FA Cup or this year's UEFA Cup,  both of which we are still in, the latter the bookies have us second favourites after Bayern Munich.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Bruce Katona

« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2008, 12:59:45 PM »
As someone else should have said earlier...."When United win the treble this year".....

As previously stated on this subject, our family loyalties lie with:

NY Yankees (not a big Red Sox fan but not a hatred either)
Man Utd
NY Giants
Lions (not gladiators)
Hurricaines (not land)
Chicago Cubs

My 10 year old loves to watch Rooney, Ronaldo, Tevez and Giggs and knows each of their skills.....thank goodness for Fox Soccer Chaneel live games on Saturday and Sunday mornings here on the East Coast.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #35 on: January 23, 2008, 01:06:11 PM »
Bruce:

Please tell me you also subscribe to Setanta - do that and you will be able to see EVERY ManU game, as I see each and every Arsenal game - and those early morning games are three hours earlier here on the west coast!.  My 9 year old loves to watch Cesc Fabregas, Emanuel Abedayor, Kolo Toure, Gael Clichy, Tomas Rosicky, Alexander Hleb, and knows their skills as well as those of each and every other Arsenal player... as I'm sure your son knows those of the rest of the ManU squad.  What's also fun is my son has developed a very healthy dislike for the players you mention.   ;D

Tom Huckaby
« Last Edit: January 23, 2008, 01:10:49 PM by Tom Huckaby »

peter_mcknight

« Reply #36 on: January 23, 2008, 01:10:54 PM »
Mr Pearce...

You won't get into the UEFA Cup by winning the FA Cup, that's for sure.  OT is a fortress this season and Rio and Vidic aren't your middle of the table type defenders.  We'd be even stronger if we had the captain in the side at all this season.

The 1-0 result in the prem in September only occurred because Ronaldo was out due to suspension, Rooney and Saha out due to knocks.  We now have 2 of them back.

Huck...

Yes, both Roo and Twinkle Toes have to stop the diving, going to ground in a sily attempt to win free kicks, etc.  Frankly, I think their constant complaints are significantly reducing the amount of free kicks from inside 30 yards of goal we have had this season.  Ronaldo, though, when he gets going, only hacking can stop the boy.

Just remember that Roo grew up boxing in South Liverpool.  Well, frankly, what else would one do if growing up in Liverpool.  Can't make up my mind if Liverpool or Middlesbrough is the Bakersfield of England.

MWP does have it right--hopefully Ronaldo (and Tev) have an extended stay in dreary old Manchester.  The lack of sun (or the WAGs) may cause both to leave.

Arsenal still frighten me from a pace of play point of view.  But, in the Ashburton Grove match-up earlier, I think we basically bottled that up pretty well.  Am VERY curious to see what Ancelotti will do in February to counter that.

Mr Braley...the Celtics will win it this year.  Thanks for asking.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #37 on: January 23, 2008, 01:13:18 PM »
Peter:

Understood, that works for me.  

I still hate Ronaldo.

;D

Jim Thompson

« Reply #38 on: January 23, 2008, 11:05:28 PM »
Huck,

Just do what I do, look at the bright side, this is gonna be a great year!  For the first time in what seems like forever, the year hasn't started off with my team losing a bowl game. ::)

Cheers!

JT

BTW - Always been a fan of the boys up in Derby...
Jim Thompson

mike_beene

« Reply #39 on: January 24, 2008, 01:13:53 AM »
Hammers

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back