News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Pete_Pittock

PGA Caddie Duplantis Hit by Car, Killed
« on: January 23, 2008, 02:35:23 PM »
Steve Duplantis, a longtime tour caddie who looped for Tommy Armour III, Rich Beem and Jim Furyk and others died Wednesday in Delmar, CA. He was to caddie for Eric Axley at this week's tour stop. Condolences to his family and friends.

http://www.pgatour.com/2008/r/01/23/caddie.killed/index.html
« Last Edit: January 23, 2008, 07:16:45 PM by Pete_Pittock »

Bill Shamleffer

Re:Caddie Hit by Car, Killed
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2008, 03:22:16 PM »
I remember when I read Bud, Sweat and Tees that I felt very sorry for what his daughter was being put through while he tried to continue to caddie and raise this little child, and while a variety of people become temporary surrogate parents in this little girl's life.

When I came across this news today the first thing I thought of was his daughter.  I guess it is the father instinct in me.  The whole thing is very sad.
“The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but that's the way to bet.”  Damon Runyon

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2008, 04:41:35 PM »
I didn't know Steve, but I was shocked to hear this today. He's a fellow Canadian, who actually wrote a back page column for an Ontario golf magazine.

What a terrible tragedy. My condolences to his family and friends as well.  
jeffmingay.com

Sam Morrow

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2008, 04:50:28 PM »
Very sad, I pray for the best for his daughter.

Jeffrey Prest

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2008, 05:31:30 PM »
Horrified by this news because I read 'Bud, Sweat and Tees' last year, expecting it to be a glorified comic and found it to be one of the best golf books I've ever read.

While neither of the principal characters - Duplantis and Rich Beem - are saints, author Alan Shipnuck drew you into their lives so skilfully that it was impossible not to develop a real empathy for them.

Golf has so much less of the social baggage in America than it has in the UK and the simple, uncluttered love that Beem and DuPlantis have for their game was a breath of fresh air.

My thoughts, too, go out to the Duplantis family. RIP.

Jeremy Rivando

Re:PGA Caddie Duplantis Hit by Car, Killed
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2008, 11:49:59 PM »
Terribly sad, the loss of a fun loving guy and caddy.  Hopefully his young daughter is in good hands.

I went to school with Rich Beem for a brief time and I still remember how exciting it was watching that first win for him at the Kemper.  Steve was clearly a huge part of that and he'll be missed.

Condolences to his family and friends.

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2008, 06:07:00 PM »
jeffmingay.com

Jason McNamara

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2008, 06:36:28 PM »

eamon

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2008, 09:26:41 PM »
ahh the golfing casualties, you guys live a hard life..

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back