News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Voytek Wilczak

Modern Clubhouses
« on: January 21, 2008, 10:44:18 AM »
During a recent walk I snapped a few pics of the new Liberty National clubhouse currently under construction and was wondering - are there any other clubhouses out there built in modern style?

For your consideration, a couple of LN clubhouse pics:

JMorgan

Re:Modern Clubhouses
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2008, 10:55:32 AM »
The Bridge:

JSlonis

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2008, 10:56:52 AM »
Huntsville GC (Rees Jones)  Near Wilkes Barre, PA has a odd modern looking clubhouse.  When I first arrived there, I thought I took the wrong street.  Upon driving in, the front of the building looks like an Elementary School. It sits upon higher land overlooking the course.  I found it strange, because you just don't see this type of structure around this area of PA.

« Last Edit: January 21, 2008, 04:05:16 PM by JSlonis »

Lloyd_Cole

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2008, 11:05:11 AM »

This one was in the news recently as the NZ Open was held at the club.
Cape Schanck National Clubhouse is fantastic, in my opinion, but can't find an image of it online. Help, Melbourne contingent?

tlavin

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2008, 11:09:48 AM »
This thread should be fused with the Geometric Architecture thread.

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2008, 11:17:13 AM »
Galloway National in NJ.  It's like a modern office building inside:

The huge clubhouse of Ko'olau on Oahu also looks like an office building inside:

Rivermont near Atlanta, GA has a 70's-'modern' clubhouse, too (sorry, Chris! :) ):
« Last Edit: January 21, 2008, 11:24:09 AM by Scott_Burroughs »

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2008, 11:19:09 AM »
Both Huntsville and The Bridge were mentioned in an article on clubhouse design in the latest issue of Travel& Leisure Golf:

www.travelandleisure.com/tlgolf/articles/golf-the-clubhouse-reimagined

For another example of a modern clubhouse- King Kamehameha CC in Hawaii:

It's based  on a Frank Lloyd Wright design:

www.kamehamehagolf.com/clubhouse/flwright.asp
« Last Edit: January 21, 2008, 11:27:14 AM by Steve_ Shaffer »
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2008, 11:31:47 AM »
Here is the proposed clubhouse at Quintero in AZ:

"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson

Lloyd_Cole

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2008, 11:35:27 AM »
Galloway National in NJ.  It's like a modern office building inside:

These bunkers juxtaposed with that clubhouse makes one of the funniest pictures I've seen in some time. It's an atrocity.

It reminds me of the Bandon Dunes Marriott hotel style clubhouse. What were they thinking?

Craig Sweet

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2008, 11:49:19 AM »
Boy, that's some ugly stuff....
LOCK HIM UP!!!

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2008, 11:50:18 AM »
Here's The Gallery GC in Tucson:

« Last Edit: January 21, 2008, 11:52:49 AM by Steve_ Shaffer »

Bart Bradley

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2008, 03:17:04 PM »
Interesting photos.. :P

I'm going to have to admit that I am glad my clubs have traditional clubhouses...

What kind of golf course matches these babies?  Talk about the need for "naturalist" design...they just don't blend in with the surroundings.

Bart
« Last Edit: January 21, 2008, 08:06:02 PM by Bart Bradley »

John Moore II

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2008, 03:35:14 PM »
I like to see interesting clubhouses, not just the same old bland type most places have. The clubhouse should be unique to the area. Arizona can have the Adobe style houses. Montana and Wyoming can have log cabin style clubhouses. But I think a modern style clubhouse is fine as well, as long as the course is modern I suppose.

Craig Sweet

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2008, 04:49:23 PM »
Some of those "modern" club houses look like airport terminals.  In this little western boomtown I live in we have an abundance of ugly, "look-a-alike" modern architecture...it's an epidemic and lacks imagination....hmmm....much like a lot of the golf courses being built these days.
LOCK HIM UP!!!

Chris Cupit

« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2008, 04:51:11 PM »
Scott,

Yeah, built in 1973 back when Mr. Brady was apparently cool :o  I was 5 so I had nothing to do with that craze!!

At least your picture showed more people than actual clubhouse!  

I can't wait to blow it up--more so I can re-build something too small to ever have to host another d*** wedding again!!

I'd even build another Brady house as long as it was "small enough".

David_Elvins

« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2008, 05:02:05 PM »
Cape Schanck National Clubhouse is fantastic, in my opinion, but can't find an image of it online. Help, Melbourne contingent?
Here you go Lloyd.

*Sorry, joke for the "Melbourne contingent".

Heres the real one

« Last Edit: January 21, 2008, 05:08:21 PM by David_Elvins »
Ask not what GolfClubAtlas can do for you; ask what you can do for GolfClubAtlas.

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2008, 05:06:12 PM »
How about Royal Birkdale in the Bauhaus style built in 1935!

Alfonso Erhardt

« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2008, 05:11:00 PM »
Bart,

I do believe that in some cases they do blend nicely into the environment. See the Aidan Bradley photo of the Oitavos clubhouse in the thread below.

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forums2/index.php?board=1;action=display;threadid=30035;start=msg649752#msg649752

RJ_Daley

« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2008, 05:11:41 PM »
Here is a Frank Lloyd Wright clubhouse designe that was originally going to be built for Nakoma Country Club (an original Bendelow with Tillie remodel).  It never was built.  But the design was resurrected by a California course:

And here is link to article that Martin should enjoy about FLW, how the Madison Nakoma country club turned their back on FLW for all his unbecoming dealings...
http://www.signonsandiego.com/uniontrib/20040530/news_lz1t30nakoma.html
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

John Moore II

« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2008, 05:32:36 PM »
I think that a unique clubhouse can add to the atmosphere of the club. That can be a very old style or it can be an extremely modern style. Either one, I think can work great for new clubs trying to establish themselves.

Bart Bradley

« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2008, 08:27:32 PM »
Bart,

I do believe that in some cases they do blend nicely into the environment. See the Aidan Bradley photo of the Oitavos clubhouse in the thread below.

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forums2/index.php?board=1;action=display;threadid=30035;start=msg649752#msg649752

Alfonso:

I think the example you cite is certainly better...but most of these are just awful..I don't mind the one at the Gallery but the first pics are disturbing.

Bart

J_ Crisham

« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2008, 08:45:29 PM »
The clubhouse at Muirfield Village is rather unique-not very traditional. Wish I had a picture to post-just seen on TV.

Bill Gayne

« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2008, 08:47:05 PM »
These are horrible. I'm probably in the minority but I thought Old Head had a nice clubhouse with a somewhat non-traditional look. It was low profile and fit in well with the land when coming up the drive-way.

J_ Crisham

« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2008, 08:51:20 PM »
Bill, I agree with you on the Old Head clubhouse- was actually quite nice with good food-interesting what you can build when us yanks are paying $300 a round.

John Moore II

« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2008, 08:57:04 PM »
I am not certain how we say that a Modern style clubhouse does not fit with the area anymore than we say a Georgian or Italianate clubhouse does fit. It just makes no sense to me that one fits and one doesn't. I think the clubhouses at Brikdale and the Gallery are great. I think that some of the squared off ones are not great, but I think golf needs more modernism in general. Be that on the course itself or in the clubhouse.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back