News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Norbert P

Ornamental Golf Grasses
« on: January 20, 2008, 02:28:54 PM »
 I'm curious what your favorite ornamental grasses are. Ones used in the rough, outcrops, or in the wastelands.

A common and very important one is Marram grass (Ammophila arenaria)

One of my most epiphanic moments in golf architecture was when I arrived at Bandon Dunes in May of 1999; a couple of months after it opened. I was amazed at the activity of the dancing grasses off the fairways, richly colored in a roanish hue. In the strong winds, it made the land look alive. Unfortunately (and fortunately) I generally only play there in the off season so the grass isn't as dramatic in its shorn and noneffloresced state.

Barona Creek near San Diego had, what I believed, was Nasella tenuissima (old name stipa) grass, often called Mexican Feather grass, though nobody there knew to confirm. It has a very wispy seedhead that floats above supple stalks.

Langdon Farms GC, just outside Portland has Pampas grass dotting mounding adjacent to the freeway. It can be an ostentatious plant, especially with the pink flowerheads, but travelling by at 70 miles an hour, the white doesn't look too bad.

Anyway, hope there's some interest out there in the non-turf grasses.

« Last Edit: January 20, 2008, 02:49:15 PM by Slag Bandoon »
"Golf is only meant to be a small part of one’s life, centering around health, relaxation and having fun with friends/family." R"C"M

Joe Hancock

Re:Ornamental Golf Grasses
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2008, 02:30:50 PM »
If it's in play at all, I don't go for much of anything beyond Little Bluestem mixed with some fine fescues......

Joe
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Norbert P

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2008, 02:53:31 PM »
"Golf is only meant to be a small part of one’s life, centering around health, relaxation and having fun with friends/family." R"C"M

Matthew Hunt

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2008, 02:55:36 PM »
I love the aesthetics of marram thought I spent a good bit of last summer picking it out of bunkers ;). We were not picking out living shot on the face though to return the bunkers to thier original state.

Gary Daughters

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2008, 03:17:35 PM »

Has anyone used this?

"Mexican feather grass is native in Texas, Mexico and parts of South America and will get 18 to 24 inches in height. The grass is mounding with needle-like leaves forming bright green clumps. The silky, hair-like flowers glisten in the light. It has shown cold-hardiness and also is a trooper in the sweltering hot summer. This is an environmentally friendly grass with virtually no pests or diseases."

THE NEXT SEVEN:  Alfred E. Tupp Holmes Municipal Golf Course, Willi Plett's Sportspark and Driving Range, Peachtree, Par 56, Browns Mill, Cross Creek, Piedmont Driving Club

Bart Bradley

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2008, 03:21:55 PM »
I love the look of ornamental grasses...love pampas.

What is "love grass"?

Bart

Norbert P

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2008, 03:31:49 PM »
What is "love grass"?

Here is one species of Love Grass, - Eragrostis Trichoides

Sand Love Grass

other species and cultivars are presented on the left of the hperlink page below.

http://www.wallawallanursery.com/Grasses_E.htm

===
« Last Edit: January 20, 2008, 03:35:43 PM by Slag Bandoon »

RJ_Daley

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2008, 03:34:47 PM »
Norby, as I'm sure you know, there are lots of good websites that examine native and ornamental grasses.

Here's one:  http://www.eeob.iastate.edu/research/iowagrasses/ornamental.html

I agree, that there is nothing so mesmerizing and alluring as watching ornamentals and native prairie grasses, wafting on the breezes.  I think it all ties into that concept John Strawn spoke about in "Driving the Green" when he spoke of our subconcious ancient memories harkening back to the native plains of the hunt.  

Obviously, diverse climates all have their own varieties of hardy natives.  Man, there are so many species and cultivars, it looks like a fellow could make an entire life's career studying the subject.  I always like to see the efforts made by golf developers to feature stands of ornamentals rather than flower beds, and native priairie, more so than sodding or seeding rough areas just to blues, and the sporadic nursery plantings of sappling trees, and yucky conifers.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2008, 03:35:33 PM by RJ_Daley »
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Norbert P

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2008, 03:41:02 PM »
 Thanks Dick, I knew you'd appreciate them, being a Gothenburgian snowbird.

Thanks for the website - bookmarked.

Norbert P

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2008, 04:02:42 PM »
#2 Kingsley Club

A good case of grasses adding interest to a hole. Also, in time, it should hide the cart path from view.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2008, 04:38:26 PM by Slag Bandoon »

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2008, 04:06:00 PM »
I was always led to believe that Love Grass was basically any long, thick rough, simply because if you go into it, you're f - ehm, 'loved'.

FBD.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Joe Hancock

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2008, 04:06:37 PM »
Slag,

Thanks for posting this, but that photo isn't mine, I just pointed you to it to illustrate the use of Little Bluestem in a fescue rough.

The singular, purple grass plant at the front of the tee is LB, as is all the other stuff in the picture that is of similar color.

I wish that was my picture, it's well done.

Joe
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Joe Hancock

« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2008, 04:12:07 PM »
Here's a picture revealing many things bad for golf, but try to focus on the ornamental grass.....

;D

Norbert P

« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2008, 05:05:27 PM »
Joe, those clumps look injuriously brutal.  What would Seve do?  And I'm not so sure I'd allow the little tikes out there to play on that set so close to the OB stakes.  

This is a shot from the car park(?) at Barnbougle Dunes . . .
Starting the back nine . . .
« Last Edit: January 20, 2008, 05:09:31 PM by Slag Bandoon »

Joe Hancock

« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2008, 05:38:11 PM »
This is the bigger, more surly brother of Little Bluestem, Big Bluestem. It's much more aggressive, as you can see here. It grows to be about 6 feet tall. It has taken over an area that was originally planted to fescue/bluestems, but the Big got the best of it.

Joe

wsmorrison

« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2008, 05:45:28 PM »
Shinnecock Hills (remnants of a Macdonald bunker)

John Foley

« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2008, 05:48:39 PM »
Guys - this is a good topic - one I have wondered for awhile:

Are the ornamentals in these pics native or non-native and what type?

I ask because I would imagine iot takes awhile to be able to eyeball these and understand what they are.

Kittansett

Sand Hills

Oakmont

Crystal Downs

Integrity in the moment of choice

Bill Gayne

« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2008, 05:51:27 PM »
In the case of Marran Grass in Oregon it's my understanding that it's not native. Rather it was introduced to the Oregon coast in the thirties to stabilize the dune system.

Anybody working with registered "Carl Spackler bent?"  

Norbert P

« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2008, 07:05:33 PM »

"Ammophila arenaria (Marram Grass) was introduced to the west coast of North America in l868 to stabilize dunes in the San Francisco area. The introduction came from Australia where it had been earlier introduced from Europe. Because of its ability to thrive under conditions of high wind and sand burial, the grass spread rapidly, both by natural means and through its steadily increasing use in sand stabilization projects."

It has become invasive and has knocked out beneficial natives - some in the same genus.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2008, 07:06:47 PM by Slag Bandoon »

Norbert P

« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2008, 07:08:35 PM »
oh yea. GO PACKERS !!!

Gary Daughters

« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2008, 11:34:38 PM »
Great topic and I hope some folks will
chime in on aesthetics, growability,
maintainability and certainly use as hazard.  Til then just some beauty, I hope, shots.

« Last Edit: January 21, 2008, 12:21:56 AM by Gary Daughters »
THE NEXT SEVEN:  Alfred E. Tupp Holmes Municipal Golf Course, Willi Plett's Sportspark and Driving Range, Peachtree, Par 56, Browns Mill, Cross Creek, Piedmont Driving Club

JSPayne

« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2008, 12:21:07 AM »
Bart,

Careful......pampas grass is largely considered a weed in California. Used in landscapes, it goes to seed easily and has profusly colonized many of the seaside hills along the Pacific Coast. Grows to be HUGE in size and is incrediably nasty to try and remove as the blades have sharp jagged edges.

Another good looking grass that is used immensly in landscape, but also viewed as a weed in the larger ecosystem in CA is Purple Fountain Grass. Same story, lots of seeds, blow for miles by the wind and colonizing in unwanted areas.

Joe,

Looks like the grass you battle there is most likely Deer Grass (Muhlenbergia rigens). I love it, but can be very nasty to play a golf shot out of.

Other good grasses I've seen for golf courses of course are many of the fescues (sheep, fine, chewings, etc.) for rough looking bunker edges, and also Purple-Needle Grass (Nassella pulcrens I believe). I have a picture somewhere, but will have to post later. It sways beautifully in the wind and makes that wonderful swishing sound should you have to walk through it.

The picutres posted so far on here are great. I especially love the one of Barnbougle Dunes. The wooden fence and native grasses are classy rustic touches that look to perfectly fit that course.

The key of course is to make the grasses add to the beauty of the hole and the course, but try not to effect playability as much as possible. Searching for balls in native grasses can both be time-consuming and destroy the beautiful look of the grasses as they get trampled down.
"To be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing it's best, night and day, to make you everybody else means to fight the hardest battle any human being can fight; and never stop fighting." -E.E. Cummings

Norbert P

« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2008, 03:39:55 AM »
 Quite a wide variety of the color spectrum in those pictures.
(BTW, Joe, Nice shot of Echinacea (Coneflower).

Here's the rough between 3 & 4 @ Bandon Crossings

Not the greatest photo composition but it does illustrate the difference in moods between the grass getting sunlight and the grass in the background NOT getting it, due to a cloud passing by.  
I don't know what species it is but it's fairly short at about 18". Perhaps Timothy Grass since it's old pasture land.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2008, 03:42:54 AM by Slag Bandoon »

Joe Hancock

« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2008, 06:01:38 AM »
Slag,

That photo above, and the ones posted by John Foley are predominately fine fescues that have matures to seedhead stage. Fine fescue is a wonderful grass for this reason, that it provides color and contrast without getting unruly from a playability standpoint.....provided the food and water are kept to a minimum!

Joe

paul cowley

« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2008, 07:22:36 AM »
Here's a picture revealing many things bad for golf, but try to focus on the ornamental grass.....

;D

JSPayne.....By its height, I would think that the grass Joe is playing through is Spartina Patens.....unlike its larger growing cousin...Spartina Bakerii. Both are coastal cordgrasses.

I am guessing Joe is in Fla or coastal Ga or SC.....but no, wait, he actually appears to be in the right rough.

« Last Edit: January 21, 2008, 07:25:02 AM by paul cowley »
paul cowley...golf course architect/asgca

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back