News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Michael Dugger

Pictures, what do you newbies want to see?
« on: January 17, 2008, 10:03:29 PM »
So I've been collecting imagery for like a decade now.  I am not kidding, I have probably 20-30 images per course for about 200 courses. (some more...waaaay more)

If there was ever something you were curious about, a course you've been dying to see, a hole you want to see more of, drop me a post in this thread.  I have server space, as well, so I can throw up some new desktop backgrounds, for example, for y'all.

« Last Edit: January 17, 2008, 10:03:51 PM by Michael Dugger »
What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

John Moore II

Re:Pictures, what do you newbies want to see?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2008, 10:14:09 PM »
I would like to see examples of certain types of holes. I think I have the basic grasp of what, say, a Redan is, or Cape, but many others I am just not sure about. Can you post pictures of different types of golf holes, so those of us who don't know, can know

Dean Stokes

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2008, 10:16:24 PM »
How about some great Donald Ross holes. Maybe from of his lesser known courses. Perhaps Timuquana, Hyde Park or San Jose Country Club in Jacksonville. Thankyou.
Living The Dream in The Palm Beaches....golfing, yoga-ing, horsing around and working damn it!!!!!!!

Michael Dugger

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2008, 10:17:36 PM »
How about some great Donald Ross holes. Maybe from of his lesser known courses. Perhaps Timuquana, Hyde Park or San Jose Country Club in Jacksonville. Thankyou.

Too obscure even for me, I have none of those.
What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

Michael Dugger

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2008, 10:20:31 PM »
I would like to see examples of certain types of holes. I think I have the basic grasp of what, say, a Redan is, or Cape, but many others I am just not sure about. Can you post pictures of different types of golf holes, so those of us who don't know, can know

From this very site Ran has an excellent image of National Golf Link's Redan.

You should check out the review on NGLA, there are numerous picts. of the "template" holes.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2008, 05:50:47 PM by Michael Dugger »

Jeff Doerr

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2008, 10:26:38 PM »
Michael,

As a used to be newbie, but not an oldie, I really like the ideas previously stated. The "Shorts" and now "Redan" threads following this thought some. I really like Bahto's essay with the descriptions, but a photo essay with supporting comments would be even better. Maybe it is a bit like Plato's cave. We all are searching for the truly great forms that are out there.
I also doubt I will ever get to South Africa, Japan, etc to play those courses. The photo essays allow me to get a glimpse of what is outside my little corner of the world.

Jeff
"And so," (concluded the Oldest Member), "you see that golf can be of
the greatest practical assistance to a man in Life's struggle.”

Mike McGuire

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2008, 10:27:56 PM »

Would like to see less spinning globe avatars. Not that its annoying - just seems like a waste of energy.  ;D

Bart Bradley

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2008, 10:31:58 PM »
Courses of New Zealand...

Mountain golf courses...

Courses/holes of modern architects in addition to Doak and C@C....especially photos of courses by GCA.com active posters

Anything cool/different/controversial...

Michael Dugger

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2008, 10:34:38 PM »
Michael,

As a used to be newbie, but not an oldie, I really like the ideas previously stated. The "Shorts" and now "Redan" threads following this thought some. I really like Bahto's essay with the descriptions, but a photo essay with supporting comments would be even better. Maybe it is a bit like Plato's cave. We all are searching for the truly great forms that are out there.
I also doubt I will ever get to South Africa, Japan, etc to play those courses. The photo essays allow me to get a glimpse of what is outside my little corner of the world.

Jeff
Jeff,

Did you ever see the B & W spread of Hirono?  They are freaking outstanding.  Rather than post them all, though, send me your email address in a private message and I'll shoot them off to you.  

Sam Morrow

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2008, 10:36:52 PM »
I'm not a newbie but I'd like to see your favorite pictures. You've looked them all over and I'd love to see the ones that stand out to you.

Ed Oden

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2008, 10:38:51 PM »
They've probably been posted before, but I'd love to see pics of Myopia Hunt and Baltimore CC.

Ed

John Moore II

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2008, 10:56:57 PM »
Jess-Where did you find the essay by Bahto? I did not see it on here, perhaps you can help me with that. Even written descriptions of certain holes would be great. The NGLA write up was good, but its easier for me to get an idea of the holes by looking at them from above.

Michael Dugger

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2008, 11:02:18 PM »
I'm sort of getting nostangic of Bob Huntley, Gib's and Bernhardt's respective asses....

I always fancied Hucks!

Chip Gaskins

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2008, 11:03:56 PM »
i would love to see some pictures of:

1) LACC
2) Valley Club of Montecito
3) San Francisco Golf Club
4) Philly Cricket
5) Meadow Club
6) Seminole
7) Linville CC
8 ) Caledonia Golf and Fish Club
9) Forest Creek
10) Crystal Downs

Chip-

Jordan Wall

« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2008, 11:06:45 PM »
Chip -
golfarchitecturepictures.com has an amazing set of Crystal Downs photos.

Andy Troeger

« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2008, 11:18:00 PM »
I'd be interested in photos of

Peachtree
Pete Dye GC
The Honors Cse (anything in addition to the GCA profile)
« Last Edit: January 17, 2008, 11:19:14 PM by Andy Troeger »

Michael Powers

« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2008, 11:21:30 PM »
Have any good Cruden Bay pics?
HP

Michael Dugger

« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2008, 11:45:31 PM »
Have any good Cruden Bay pics?

Also consult golfarchitecturepictures.com for Cruden Bay

Kirk Gill

« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2008, 12:04:05 AM »
I agree on Myopia Hunt Club. Would also love to see pics of Beverly and Chicago Golf Club (there's only a couple on this site).

Pushing the issue, I'd also enjoy seeing some pics of Atlantic City CC.
"After all, we're not communists."
                             -Don Barzini

Michael Dugger

« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2008, 12:13:48 AM »
I'm not a newbie but I'd like to see your favorite pictures. You've looked them all over and I'd love to see the ones that stand out to you.

Okay, Sam, your request gets met first.  Here is a "best of" of sorts, many of these have come from GCA members.

Some of you ought to acquire some new desktop backgrounds here.....

Sam Morrow

« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2008, 12:25:22 AM »
Thanks Michael, awesome stuff!

Jeff Doerr

« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2008, 12:37:09 AM »
So Michael, who's going to name all the holes or courses?
"And so," (concluded the Oldest Member), "you see that golf can be of
the greatest practical assistance to a man in Life's struggle.”

David Stamm

« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2008, 12:43:59 AM »
i would love to see some pictures of:

1) LACC

Chip-

Chip, enjoy

"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

David Lott

« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2008, 12:45:11 AM »
Magnificent photos.

Most of the beauty seems to come from open land and visible sky.

Is the sky an important architectural feature the we rarely notice?

Seems so.
David Lott

Scott Webster

« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2008, 01:28:50 AM »
Awesome collection, this is one of my favorite things about this site is the awesome photos from all over the world.  I will be adding a lot of these to my collection so thanks for the effort to get them to us.  My requests would be to see some shots from courses of the Pacific Northwest and Western Canada (My region) and to encourage others to post pictures through different stages of golf course development at whatever projects they may be working at.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back