News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David Stamm

TCC-When might we see it's return as an Open site?
« on: January 19, 2008, 01:07:53 PM »
I can't help but wonder when we will see the Open return to Brookline. Without getting into the missed oppurtunity of 2013 and the symmetry of 100 years since Ouimet's victory (and yes, Merion is quite obviously a very worthy site, so let's not get into that), why hasn't it hosted a major since Strange's Open victory? Is the course still able to challenge today's best players? Was there something telling at the Ryder Cup that has led to it being excluded from any near- future major championships?
« Last Edit: January 19, 2008, 01:08:16 PM by David Stamm »
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Tom_Doak

Re:TCC-When might we see it's return as an Open site?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2008, 02:07:11 PM »
I suspect that the course is "too short" and that the club is not interested in having an architect come in to "fix" that problem.

Rick Shefchik

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2008, 02:15:32 PM »
Hooray.
"Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 percent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation." - Grantland Rice

J_ Crisham

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2008, 04:44:08 PM »
David, Isn't the length comparable to Merion? Given the severity of the bunkers and green complexes one could envision a very stern test in the hands of the USGA. Another question would be whether the membership would embrace hosting another Open. The current trend sure apppears to be one of clubs prefering to avoid private play interruptions. One only needs to see the example of Westchester and PointO'Woods to see that not every club desires this but the upside is the ability to expose other great course to tournament play. I personally would love to see the Western Am at Olympia Fields-a championship setting that doesn't get the respect it warrants.

Ray Richard

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2008, 07:08:05 AM »

The TCC members committed to a PGA championship during the early 1990’s then backed out. The word was the members didn’t want the complications involved in using the bordering muni golf course for parking. The Ryder Cup was seen as a smaller production, so it was allowed.

Jim Sweeney

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2008, 01:00:30 PM »
The biggest issue is access- to the neighborhood. Very difficult. Neighbors are very anti, and make a big fuss. Municipal authorities also demanding and hard to work with. Not to say it won't ever happen, but don't bet the house.
"Hope and fear, hope and Fear, that's what people see when they play golf. Not me. I only see happiness."

" Two things I beleive in: good shoes and a good car. Alligator shoes and a Cadillac."

Moe Norman

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back