News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sean_A

Pipe Up You Philly Lot
« on: January 16, 2008, 06:32:29 PM »
I would like some info/opinions on Sandy Run CC near Philly.  Cheers.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Chechesee Creek & Old Barnwell

wsmorrison

Re:Pipe Up You Philly Lot
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2008, 07:15:42 PM »
I don't know anything about Sandy Run.

From the Golf Assoc of Philadelphia website (likely from Jim Finegan's research):

J. Franklin Meehan was a born entrepreneur. He dearly loved to start something from scratch. In some instances, as at Ashbourne and Spring-Ford, a new golf club that had acquired ground would call him in to lay out the course, a rewarding assignment that enabled him to put his personal imprint on the raw land. But it was not quite so satisfying as conceiving the idea for a club, finding the property, laying out the course, bringing together a number of kindred souls, and actually running the club during its formative years. This he did at North Hills. And then, more than 15 years later and virtually next door, he undertook to do it again.

"Arlington," Sandy Run’s original clubhouse, was the residence of Irene duPont Hendrickson Ralph. Demolished in 1954, the house was situated in an area where the club’s main practice green is located today.

The new club was chartered in June, 1923, under the name of the Edge Hill Golf Club. Signing the certificate of incorporation were Leonard W. Brown, A. J. Murdoch, Harry F. Beck, F. E. Taylor, J. Russell Breitinger, Parke Weikert, A.R. McConnell, Norman V. Holmes, W.H. Calverley, and W. Nelson Mayhew. Edge Hill subsequently acquired a part of the former I. D. H. Ralph estate, 115 acres "situate near Camp Hill Station, Montgomery County, Pennsylvania, at the southeast corner of Valley Green and Walnut Roads." The club paid exactly $1,000 per acre for this parcel. In order to consummate the deal, meet the mortgage payments, and make the necessary improvements (golf course and clubhouse), the members each subscribed to a $500 bond. They had a choice of the Cash Payment Plan (hand over the $500 in one lump sum); the Yearly Payment Plan (five installments of $100 each, the first payment to be made on March 15,1924, the four remaining installments due on October 15 in the years 1924,1925,1926, and 1927); or the Monthly Payment Plan. A member had to have a pretty good head for figures in order to keep the Monthly Payment Plan straight: $35 on March 15, 1924; $15 on April 15, 1924; $10 on the 15th of May, June, July, August, and

Frank Meehan laid out a tight and varied 18-hole course—the topography was rolling but not hilly, lending itself nicely to holes with an attractive naturalness about them. Scottish-born John B. Carruthers was retained as the club’s first golf professional. In 1927, taking its name from the stream that runs through the property—and today lends considerable character to the par-5 8th—the club became Sandy Run Country Club. Frank Meehan remained in office as president till 1936, when he was succeeded by William A. Crooke.

Original clubhouse:

« Last Edit: January 16, 2008, 07:16:57 PM by Wayne Morrison »

Kyle Harris

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2008, 07:22:12 PM »
Sean,

It's quite quirky with a good set of sub 400 yard Par 4s, some quick greens and a lot of fun.

The opener is a drivable downhill par 4.

I remember you were interested in Lulu for the sake of its quirkiness and Ross pedigree and if that's what you're looking for, Sandy Run would be a good complement.

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2008, 08:15:41 PM »
I believe that there was recent construction at Sandy Run involving at least 3 holes. In any event, nearby LuLu is much more fun to play IMO. This part of the area is blessed with many very good private clubs besides the 2 mentioned:

Cricket
Manufacturers
Huntingdon Valley
Philmont North
North Hills

Publics of note in this general area:

Lederach
Jeffersonville
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

TEPaul

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2008, 09:37:27 PM »
I know it well.

Sandy Run has always been very generous hosting GAP for various events, and I played for years there in a good class A player better-ball invitational, The Hoffner---even won it once partnering with Chet Walsh (former Crump Cup winner among many other things over the years).

The course is OK. I doubt any of you architecture buffs would write home about it but a lot of us loved the place because we just liked Sandy Run, the club, their generosity over the years---they're good guys and the spirit in the Hoffner was good with the club and the players. I think over the years they pretty much got everybody from Philly who could play over there for the Hoffner.

One thing I'll say about the course is no one would mistake one hole for another one---it has variety that way. It has a good number of short tempting holes too.

I remember the first time I met Michael McDermott, the long ball very good player from this district, was over there. My partner and I were partnered with he and his Dad (former GAP president Neil McDermott). I'd seen some bombers in my time--ie Sigel and all but Michael was ridiculous---I think he tried to drive about four of the par 4s that day including the 18th right over the clubhouse. Golfers didn't try that stuff that much back then but he did. Let's just say most of it didn't work out. ;) And he was the first player I ever saw try to go at the par 5 8th (he hit his second OB ;) ).

It's not a great course or great architecture really but there was always something about it that was just fun, and we all knew it so well and we all always looked forward to The Hoffner and seeing all the guys. But that club has got the stuff, in my opinion. I wish there were more golf clubs around like Sandy Run.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2008, 09:41:42 PM by TEPaul »

TEPaul

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2008, 12:18:35 PM »
Just look at that original clubhouse in that photo Wayne posted. Man, how interesting is that thing and its architecture??

I bet the club wishes they still had that. Or maybe the problem is, they don't!  ;)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back