News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Allan Patterson

Re:Pics of The Castle: Today!
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2008, 07:29:02 AM »
My first post, so i will not rabble on for too long. .The clubhouse is low, due to height and visability restrictions set by planners. The roof is copper, so this will in time go green. The walls are to be finished with Caithness stone , which is a gray slate. The right side of the building will be glass from top to bottom. This is the lounge area. This will give panoramic views of the Bay, the Grampian mountains , the North Sea, as well as the double green on 9/18. Not a bad spot to have a pint after a game! I hope everyone will have a chance to see the final article this summer at some point. Just a quick one on the helmet which seems to have generated plenty of discussion. Kinkell Castle used to sit on the point that is now the clubhouse area in the middle ages.  This was owned by a prominent local family called the Moneypennys, who bought the land from the Prior of St Andrews in 1211 . The centerpiece of the family coat of arms was a Scottish peers helmet, which has been adapted as the Castle Course logo. There is a history of the site on the Links trust website as well as up to date photography.

Allan

Marty Bonnar

Re:Pics of The Castle: Today!
« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2008, 09:10:56 AM »
I've never found verdigris to be particularly attractive. In fact, the particular shade of green it displays will clash dreadfully with the colour of the dry turf (we hope!) of the golf course.

The Links Trust in my opinion have once again missed a perfect opportunity to set a lead in golf design.

The Planners got such flak for allowing the Fairmont to be built on the distant skyline, and it's style and materials, that they set the visibility clause in the planning permission for the clubhouse. There's a fabulous opportunity to create a building with excellent environmental credentials if ever I saw one.

I'm thinking turf roofs, rammed earth walls, neutral carbon construction, water recycling, submerged construction, and so on and so on.

Maybe I'm too demanding.

FBD.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back