News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

kconway

7th at St Andrews
« on: January 10, 2008, 02:37:51 PM »
I read a book over the holidays about the making of the 7th course at St. Andrews (The Castle Course).  

Has anyone heard anything about this course?

Greg Krueger

Re:7th at St Andrews
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2008, 02:46:17 PM »
Yes, it is opening this summer, June maybe? David McLay Kidd,
architect.

James Bennett

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2008, 04:21:41 PM »
There have been a few threads on the Castle Course.  If you search on "Castle" they should come up.  Here is my post to the recent Castle pics thread (The joke was for the benefit of the thread initiator FBD).

James B

Phillip

I see the similarity to NSW #5, but the line of play is as set out below - more in common with NSW #6 but longer.  The 18th green (and 9th - a double green) can be seen on the Point to the right).  These were taken in March - a Scottish summer has kicked things along a long way.

Here is a routing of the course (with topo).  The engineering type structure in the middle is not the clubhouse, nor a castle but rather the towns treatment plant.  Reclaimed water should be easy to access in case Scotland ever stops raining.

To 'grumpy'

A height -challenged person (ie less than 5' 10") was in a car altercation with a big bloke (think Pennsylvanian physician height).  The height-challenged got out of his car and said to the crash instigator 'I am not happy'.  The big bloke replied 'well, which dwarf are you then?'  ;D

James B
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

gookin

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2008, 05:35:18 PM »
This was a holiday read for me as well. I found it fun to read and provided insight into some architect dynamics that are likely all too familiar for many on GCA. I doubt you could write an equally interesting story about a Green Chairman.

ANTHONYPIOPPI

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2008, 05:37:52 PM »
Question for those who have read the book: how much time, words were dedicated to explaining the intricacies of the turf?

Anthony

gookin

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2008, 05:45:51 PM »
Tony,

The story suggests that the site was very dull. Any intracacy in turf was created by the architectural team and the crew on the ground.

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2008, 06:43:20 PM »
James,
I'll hopefully get my own back on the tall one in May! Any hints on Matchplay at Lehigh? ;)

On Topic: KC - If you come to St A, you'll definitely want to pass on TOC to play the Castle. (Costs about the same, anyheys).

cheers,
MB.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Scott Weersing

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2008, 09:25:16 AM »
I read the book too over the holidays.

What did I learn from it?

I now realize that a course is only as good as the team that builds it. If a GCA does not a have a team to build interesting fairways and greens, then the course will suffer. Kidd had a great team for the Castle Course. So did Doak for Pacific Dunes.

My new hypothesis: "The great courses are ones that are designed and built by the same company."

I am sure that there are exceptions where a GCA designed a course on paper and then a construction company, such as Wadsworth, came in to build a great course. http://www.wadsworthgolf.com/awards.php

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back