News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Peter Nomm

Re:Tunnell Vision, Do laser range finders pinpoint the yardage
« Reply #50 on: January 12, 2008, 09:39:29 PM »
Peter,

Is this true when you are playing your home course, which I assume you know intimately, including all the architectural features.  It's easy to play a very familiar course by rote after hundreds or thousands of plays.  Do you find the same if you are playing a less familiar course.

Bryan - just getting back to you after travelling for two days.  Funny is that I have been wanting to get back to the site and ask a similar question.  

Yes - this is true of my home course, and I also feel even without the gun it is easy to play it by rote.  Do others think that familiarity with a course leads to playing without much thought?  I would imagine so.

At an unfamiliar course, I am sure is also easy to simply get a number and hit the shot.  But I have also played a few places with caddies and it can be the same thing: "here is your yardage and aim it here."

But I have one more question for discussion - is it bad for your game to play this way?  While certainly it may take us out of touch with some of the architectural aspects of the course, sometimes playing this way may prove to be better for some players (see Geoff Ogilvy article in Golf World - http://www.golfdigest.com/golfworld/columnists/2007/12/gw20071228diaz).  

I guess it all comes back to your purpose in playing the game?  If you want an authentic, traditional golf experience, ditch the laser and walk the course.  But there are also times where it can serve a good purpose and help out.  

Patrick_Mucci

Re:Tunnell Vision, Do laser range finders pinpoint the yardage
« Reply #51 on: January 12, 2008, 11:27:59 PM »
Peter,

I think it's  bad because it can cause the golfer to ignore the margins for error.

John Moore II

Re:Tunnel Vision, Do laser range finders pinpoint the yardage
« Reply #52 on: January 12, 2008, 11:48:23 PM »
Patrick--as I've said before, it only causes people with moderate skill to ignore margin for error. The skilled player, one who can benefit from the range finder in the first place, will still see the margin for error and hit the shot to the safe place on the green, adding or subtracting yardage to hit the ball where it needs to be hit.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #53 on: January 12, 2008, 11:55:33 PM »
Johnny M,

What's the ratio of the skilled golfer to the unskilled golfer ?

Are the majority of golfers who use a laser range finder skilled golfers ?

John Moore II

« Reply #54 on: January 13, 2008, 12:07:12 AM »
Pat--Does it really matter? People who can play decent golf don't get tunnel vision.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back