News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Phil_the_Author

Erie G.C. update...
« on: January 09, 2008, 08:25:09 PM »
For those who remember, the Mayor of Erie Pa. decided that the Erie G.C., an original 9-hole Tilly design later expanded to 18 holes, would be shut for good and sold to developers. This, after the city spent several millions of dollars to restore and upgrade the course.

It led to a legal fight in the community and a court case where the ruling was that regardless of who owns the property, the original purchase dictated that it b eused as either a golf course or park or both.

After losing the case the mayor became stubborn and refused to open the course for play and left it near fallow since they closed the course for play at the beginning of winter in 2006. All they've done is mow grass on fairways and greens.

I've been asked to be very circumspect in what I can reveal, but it appears that the issue may be coming to a happy ending. A third party is greatly interested and has been having talks with the city about purchasing the course. If all goes well, it would be re-opened and operated by golf people as a golf course...

Hopefully good news to follow.

Mark Studer

Re:Erie G.C. update...
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2008, 08:49:57 PM »
Great! continued good luck. May I suggest a quote from MacKenzie's, Golf Architecture. " A good golf course is a great asset to a  nation. Those who harangue about land being diverted from agriculture and used for golf have little sense of proportion. Comparing the small amount for land utilised for golf with the large amount devoted to agriculture, we get infinitely more value out of the former than the latter.  We all eat too much.      How frequently have I, with great difficultly, persuaded patients who were never off my doorstep to take up golf, and how rarely, if ever, have I seen them in my consulting-rooms again!"  ...........as or more  true now  than as first written by Doctor A. MacKenzie in 1920!!!
The First Tee:Golf Lessons/Life Lessons

JeffTodd

Re:Erie G.C. update...
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2008, 09:13:25 PM »
Thanks for the update. I was just doing a search last night to see if there was any new news.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back