News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bill Brightly

Bye Bye Biarritz
« on: January 08, 2008, 11:47:06 AM »
Look what they did to our Biarritz at Hackensack (Banks.) We just found this photo taken in the 1930's:

The traps were removed in the 1940's to save on maintenance costs when our club was in financial difficulty.
Here is what it looks like now:

Happily, we are in the process of restoring the hole!
« Last Edit: January 08, 2008, 11:48:28 AM by Bill Brightly »

Dan Boerger

Re:Bye Bye Biarritz
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2008, 12:42:57 PM »
Good luck ... I hope they use the photo as a guide, I even like the look of the older dirt path. Did they routinely hit into groups on the green in the 30's? ;)
"Man should practice moderation in all things, including moderation."  Mark Twain

Bill Brightly

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2008, 01:05:27 PM »
Dan,

Good pick up. I noticed that, too. No doubt the practice was for groups on the green to waive up groups on the tee. Probably was fun to watch the attempted "Biarritz shots" from the green.

I remember waiving guys up as a kid, but we don't do it anymore, probably because balls now can be carried to the green on a fly...

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2008, 02:00:36 PM »
Maybe those guys knew they couldn't reach a 220+ par 3 in those days, and fired away. I also notice two of the golfers on the green are standing right at the pin, presumably the safest place to be!
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

ANTHONYPIOPPI

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2008, 02:44:31 PM »
Bill:

That's awful what happened but at least you can restore it. Poor CC of Fairfield has their Biarritz green in the middle of a fairway thanks to Robert Trent Jones.

What was the original yardage and what does the hole play now?

Anthony

Jay Flemma

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2008, 02:53:20 PM »
I love how the bunkering extends back toward the tee and into the fairway.  Its looks alot like the Biarritz at Knoll Club.  How long is your hole, Bill?

Bill Brightly

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2008, 03:06:51 PM »
Jay,

No, the Knoll looks like this...Banks built Hackensack first...

The hole is 190 from the White, 222 from the Blue (original yardage) and 238 from the Black.

We will also be adding about 10 yards to the back tee, so perhaps it really will require a "Biarritz shot."
« Last Edit: January 08, 2008, 03:09:49 PM by Bill Brightly »

SPDB

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2008, 03:57:14 PM »
I'd be shocked if that picture was actually from the 1930s and not later, say the 1950s

Mike McGuire

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2008, 04:52:19 PM »

Looks like the front was maintained at green height.

I still don't get why you would have a biarritz and maintain the front and swale at fairway height.

Joe Hancock

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2008, 06:06:21 PM »
Anyone else notice the mowing pattern on the tee? It appears the tee height of cut was all the way down the side slopes of the tee.

We used to mow small tees like that at Grand Island.

Joe
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Bill Brightly

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2008, 06:56:51 PM »
I'd be shocked if that picture was actually from the 1930s and not later, say the 1950s

Why do you say that? Is it the clothes of the golfers?

We happen to have two aerial photos, one labeled "circa 1930s" which shows both traps as in the above photo.

Then we have another aerial from the 1940's, which shows that the left front bunker has been filled in, you can see the dark grass in the front section, VERY easy to see where the old trap used to be.The other front trap was filled in a year later. (And then William Gordon de-Banksed the course in 1960...)

SPDB, you use a Mets logo, are you in the the NYC metro area? If yes, the aerials are in our lower locker room, check them out!

Mike McGuire,

Take a closer look, the green is past the swale and is lighter. 99% certain that the front was not green height, but I bet it was a fast and firm fairway cut by big gang roller mowers...
« Last Edit: January 08, 2008, 06:57:39 PM by Bill Brightly »

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2008, 11:26:23 PM »
Bill Brightly,

Having those photos would seem to provide an excellent foundation for a restoration.

Especially with The Knoll not far away.

I don't recall a Biarritz in the very early 60's, but, my memory's not the same since TEPaul left me in a bunker in the middle of the woods at PV and wouldn't provide directions back to the fairway.

Bill Brightly

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2008, 10:34:10 PM »
Pat,

In our entire restoration plan, bringing these bunkers back to their original shape (along with making the front section a putting surface) caused by FAR the most discussion at our membership meeting to review the plan.

Finding this picture should be really helpful.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back