News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Please note, each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us and we will be in contact.

Jerry Kluger

Double crossbunkers
« on: January 05, 2008, 08:47:27 PM »
How often have you seen two crossbunkers on a hole.  I have seen it at Baltusrol but where else has it been done and does it work?  It would seem to me that if it is not done well that it simply forces a layup second shot.

J_ Crisham

Re:Double crossbunkers
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2008, 09:05:44 PM »
Jerry, I vaguely remember  a par 5 at Skokie  that I thought had 2 sets of cross bunkers.I was playing miserably so my memory is skewed about this fine course- I remember that it proved to be a great risk reward hole especially for a long accurate 2nd shot. Also great crosss bunkers on the 1st and 10th holes par 4s.

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2008, 11:10:20 PM »
Jerry,

The second hole at the old St. Martin's Course at Philadelphia Cricket Club has what amounts to a double crossbunker, and I'm sure which played as an example in the early 1900's.

There is a cross bunker coming across from the left side of the fairway which the player needs to carry on the drive to reach in two and to reach the high ground.   From there, another cross bunker fronted the green.

Today, it's simple driver, flip-wedge, but I'm betting in the 1907 US Open it required a long blast over the bunker and then a daring second for anyone who wished to get home in two.

The place is a wonderful museum piece of golf that is still fun and fascinating today.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2008, 11:31:09 AM »
Jerry, The original closer at Pinon Hills had a dbl cross hazard. The hole is a par 5 and the second cross carry did not force a lay up. If one's drive was errant it was the edge of an island of fairway in a sea of trouble.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Mark_Fine

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2008, 11:02:28 PM »
Jerry,
At one of my projects in New Jersey (also a Tillinghast design, Ft. Monmouth), the one par five originally had two cross bunkers.  Our master plan only proposed restoring one of the bunkers.  Sad to say, little of the work has been done so far due to funding issues (it is part of an Army base).  The course has some of the best bunkering I've ever seen from Tillie.  Though we talked about it with the club management, the hole with both cross bunkers (one was a partial cross bunker) would have been extremely penal for all but the better golfers.  
Mark

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2008, 02:27:54 AM »
Every hole at Pine Valley?

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2008, 08:57:40 AM »
Has anyone seen it on a modern course? The trend today seems to be pinching in a fairway or approach shot but still leaving some room to get further up the fairway or at the green.  Why isn't it being used today?  I personally like the really big cross bunkers like those used at PV or Baltimore CC.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back