News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Please note, each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us and we will be in contact.

Mark Chaplin

Re:Another unusual par 3
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2008, 06:48:49 PM »
Kalen - Once was plenty enough! As I say the service was good the temps were in the low 100s with very high humidity, not only did tey have a drinks cart but an iced towel cart that came by every two or three holes.

IMO this is classic aerial architecture to grab publicity which fails to convert on ground level into an interesting test of golf.

Jordan - Save your money and visit some classic links courses when they dry out and you have a 101 options to play shots.

Mark
Cave Nil Vino

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2008, 03:47:08 AM »
Kalen
Try and find Desmond Muirhead's Imperial Golf Klub in Indonesia .

I have tried several times using google earth to locate it with no success.

I am sure its another that would make interesting viewing  :P
« Last Edit: January 05, 2008, 03:50:03 AM by Brian_Ewen »

Jim Nugent

« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2008, 06:56:41 AM »
Can you see those hand and other shapes from the ground?

How do most people who play those holes react to them?  Are they popular or not?

John -- I've read several times that Desmond in fact designed Muirfield Village.  If so, it's ironic that Jack did not play such a big role in creating his highest-rated course.  

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2008, 07:29:14 AM »
""When I was in partnership with Jack Nicklaus, I had assured everyone that while he was a scratch golfer, I modestly considered myself a scratch architect. To continue the analogy, as everyone who is familiar with him knows, Jack would be lucky to break a hundred with a pencil.""[/i] - Desmond Murhead.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2008, 07:31:35 AM by Brian_Ewen »

Tom Roewer

« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2008, 09:09:50 AM »
Brian:  GREAT QUOTE!!!  Go to Google Earth, jakarta, indonesia, and above that where it says find businesses - type in Imperial Klub Golf  it will take you there.  Very cool looking.  Notice the houses abutting the course!

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #30 on: January 05, 2008, 09:25:56 AM »
Brian,
the Club also has a brilliant website:

http://www.imperialklubgolf.com/

Great hole plans, photos, descriptions.

cheers,
FBD.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #31 on: January 05, 2008, 11:36:11 AM »
Brian,
the Club also has a brilliant website:

http://www.imperialklubgolf.com/

Great hole plans, photos, descriptions.

cheers,
FBD.

Martin,

While I certainly appreciate a natural looking course as much as the next GCA.com guy, I also love quirk, which is not say there isn't plenty of quirk on natural looking links courses and such.  But I tend to love quirk in all its flavors, so call me crazy if I say, some of what Desmond has done looks really really neat.  And as much as you get the full impact from an aerial view, it appears as if his courses have some interesting shot variety to boot.

I hope to play some of his works someday even if it means traveling to Dubai and Indonesia to do so.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2008, 11:37:10 AM by Kalen Braley »

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #32 on: January 05, 2008, 01:09:59 PM »
Working with a prominent golfer has quite a few unusual aspects. For instance, the golfer faces the common belief among some people that because you're good at one thing, you're good at everything. The architect, if he is not careful, has a tendency to assume the halo of the golfer. I know this from my past association with Nicklaus and Palmer. Then there is the delicate rivalry for the client's attention and approval, and the inevitable rhetoric from the attack upon, and the defense of the design. The architect, if he is properly trained in design, has a great advantage, but this is balanced by the fame, self-confidence and aura of the golfer. It is an interesting encounter which always produces a few sparks and occasionally some flames.[/i] - Desmond Muirhead

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #33 on: January 05, 2008, 01:14:46 PM »
Kalen,
I couldn't agree...

MORE!

I am a big admirer of symbolism and the use of mythology and historical reference in all forms of design.

Landscape design is a particular area which lends itself to the use of fun elements within the overall concept.

I LOVE this golf course (GCA Disclaimer: well, at least the look of it as it is, of course, impossible to tell how it might play from photographs. Disclaimer ends).

Desmond certainly has his critics. I am of the opinion that his stuff is as close to Art as it is possible to be in both Landscape and Golf Course design.

Shame TN isn't around as I'd bet he'd have some good stuff to add.

There is a certain well-known 'big world' theory around here... ;D

FBD.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #34 on: January 05, 2008, 01:14:56 PM »
Kalen
I also find myself apologising for being interested in Mr. Muirhead and his work   ;)

Tom, thanks for finding and confirming that the aerial for Imperial is there , and its just me . The net connection I have at the moment isn't up to Google Earth but I will have a look when I can.

Have been in Jakarta but the one game I had was not my choice , and I ended up playing TWP's Jagorawi .

Thanks Martin, Imperials website has been updated since I last looked .

Only played two Muirheads myself , both in Thailand . None were very symbolistic but there certainly was  quirk .

Its some of the Japanese courses that he designed I would love to see , as its very hard to find any info. on his symbolistic designs there .

But since you Guys are far more proficient with Google earth than me , please try and find Shinyo GC in Nagoya , Japan , and check to see if the fan green still exists .

Best Regards
Brian
« Last Edit: January 05, 2008, 01:19:25 PM by Brian_Ewen »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back