News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Please note, each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us and we will be in contact.

Trey Kemp

University of Texas Golf Club - Clubhouse Fire
« on: January 02, 2008, 05:13:05 PM »
Here is a link to a recent fire at the University of Texas Golf Club.  The Clubhouse was under construction and about 70% complete.

http://www.utgolfclub.com/club/scripts/ImageAlbum/view_albums.asp?CLNK=1&GRP=&NS=&AID=7922&APP=94
twitter.com/TreyKempGCA

Sam Morrow

Re:University of Texas Golf Club - Clubhouse Fire
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2008, 01:21:24 AM »
I heard about that, it's really a shame. I hope Steve and the guys are able to keep things running smoothly even with this setback.

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2008, 10:54:38 AM »
Not to drift too far off topic, but it has always seemed to me that Clubhouse fires occur at much higher rates than fires in general.

I had one master plan client that wanted an alternate location for "when the clubhouse burns down" (rather than "if" if burns down, which always sounded suspicious! ;)  But the club manager (who was well respected) seemed to think that in general, golf course clubhouses were a bit more lax than restaurants in their fire preparedness/precautions.  

Does anyone have a list of clubhouse fires that have occurred?  We had one about two years ago at El Dorado CC in McKinney, TX.  I also seem to recall that Shoreacres had one back in Chicago and know there are more.
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Trey Kemp

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2008, 11:11:22 AM »
I know that Dallas National's clubhouse burned down during construction.  
twitter.com/TreyKempGCA

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2008, 12:34:39 PM »
One always hates to see destruction of property but I think this can be traced to evidence being found of Mac Brown really have a large number of low scores he did not turn in to keep his handicap high. A brown lover torched the place to hide eveidence. This keeps Mac happy and help them win a few matches. His name is cheney and lesson learned from time in washington last 7 years. That is how life is when you go to the Holiday Bowl and have lots of time on your hands.

Sam Morrow

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2008, 01:02:17 PM »
One always hates to see destruction of property but I think this can be traced to evidence being found of Mac Brown really have a large number of low scores he did not turn in to keep his handicap high. A brown lover torched the place to hide eveidence. This keeps Mac happy and help them win a few matches. His name is cheney and lesson learned from time in washington last 7 years. That is how life is when you go to the Holiday Bowl and have lots of time on your hands.

Could step-son Chris Jessie be involved?

jg7236

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2008, 03:17:21 PM »
What about the Maintenance Building at Southern Hills C.C. in Tulsa burning down with all of the golf course machinery just before the 2001 U.S. Open??  I believe this was pretty suspicious.....

mike_beene

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2008, 07:22:08 PM »
Wasn't it still under construction? Totally unrelated because I know nothing about this one,but from time to time there are friction fires that start when the mortgage rubs up against the insurance policy.

Steve Lang

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2008, 07:51:46 PM »
 8)

Perhaps the Southern Building Code is at fault.. it seems to be only a guideline..

perhaps more problematic are cart storage areas... lots of electricity or gasoline around to kick off the fire triangle

« Last Edit: January 03, 2008, 07:53:55 PM by Steve Lang »
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2008, 02:48:51 PM »
Columbia Edgewater (Portland, OR) had its wooden clubhouse burn when a Christmas tree caught fire. It was located between Marine Drive and the river. Suburban Tualatin CC also had its clubhouse burn in the 60s.

Mike Mosely

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2008, 04:12:48 PM »
...and the first clubhouse at Tobacco Road burned too...

Joe Hancock

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2008, 04:57:12 PM »
Oyster Bay had a fire a long time ago.....

Joe
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Sam Morrow

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2008, 09:51:00 PM »
So the moral of the story is that lots of clubhouses burn down.

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2008, 10:47:14 PM »
usually when there is a lot of  cured wood and no working sprinkler system.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2008, 11:46:13 PM »
Columbia Edgewater (Portland, OR) had its wooden clubhouse burn when a Christmas tree caught fire. It was located between Marine Drive and the river. Suburban Tualatin CC also had its clubhouse burn in the 60s.

Peter, can you imagine having to go back and forth across Marine Drive today, from clubhouse to first tee?  There must be a whole lot more traffic along that boulevard today than there was in 1949 when the clubhouse burned down!  :o

Jason Hines

« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2008, 08:37:47 AM »
Lochland Country Club in Hastings, NE burned down around 2000 or 2001?  We were the first to pull up to the course in the morning and the pro came out to help with our bags and we asked midway through the conversation what happened? He ignored the question.  A buddy asked again later on and same result.  It was almost a little creepy.

Another small town was Atwood CC in Atwood, KS.  About 4-5 years ago.

Jay Flemma

« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2008, 01:47:42 PM »
Hasn't alot of Bandon, OR "burned down" a couple times due to gorse?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back