News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

George Bahto

Re: Fox Chapel and the Curtis Cup
« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2002, 07:17:53 AM »
George Pazin:

who the heck named the holes?

If you give me a little time I'll check the holes again the info, maps, drawings etc I have and will e mail the info to you rather than post this boring stuff  :P    here.

I was only there once, played the course before it was "done over", and had the great pleasure of staying overnight with and at the behest of local icon, now my friend, Mark Studer.

Send me your e mail address @ ggb313@aol.com
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by 1056376800 »

George Pazin

« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2002, 08:07:54 AM »
Anyone who hasn't had a chance to read George Bahto's feature interview definitely should:

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/interviewbahto.html

My introduction to the site came shortly after I emailed George a couple years ago, asking him the proper pronunciation of "redan." His interview is one of the best among many great interviews & we are all eagerly awaiting the release of his books on CBM, Seth & the National.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

MBL

« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2002, 09:29:31 AM »
George-

Thank you for the feedback on the Biarritz, but you don't reference the 2nd at St. Louis CC - a full double tiered w. swale green that does have the pin in back more than 50% of the time.  Why no mention?  

Am looking forward to the article .... and more so your book on CBM (I've already backordered at Amazon)!
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:08 PM by -1 »

George Bahto

« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2002, 09:50:10 AM »
MB Lewis: there is a Biarritz on just about evey 18 hole course they built. Didn't mean to slight SLCC - I love the course and spent a lot of time with Jack Litvay when I visited.

What I've been referring to are courses that were originally built with double greens from the git-go. I have no indication that SLCC was one of them but if you have info to the contrary I would be DELIGHTED if you would share it with me.

Are you a member there?

If so take a look on that old print on the wall and see if you can tell - you ususally cannot - they just drew it as "looking like" a double green complex. I tried photographing that print  when I was there but the results were not good.

I have a lot of old photos of SLCC but none show the 2nd green - most attention was centered around the great 18th green.

Thank you for the kind words.

MBL

« Reply #29 on: August 06, 2002, 09:55:20 AM »
George B-

Not a member, but lucky enough to play there regularly.  In fact am playing there tomorrow afternoon - will check the print (and any other info) and get back to you.   :)
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:08 PM by -1 »

George Bahto

« Reply #30 on: August 06, 2002, 10:04:20 AM »
St. Louis is one of the great Raynor (-/Macdonald) sleepers - this is one fine golf course. They like to stay quiet and unobserved by (us) raters and such.

Tell us about your thoughts when you get back.

It was the 3rd course built by Macdonald and Raynor after National ........ actually I don't think stubborn old CB didn't even fight with them there as he did in the other two built before.

I found at least one option hole there that was allowed to grow in.

MBL

« Reply #31 on: August 06, 2002, 10:26:40 AM »
George B-

I could go on and on about SLCC - have been playing it for years - but thought Ran's review was right on target.  That said, much of what was lost during WWII (bunkers, green shrinkage) is in process of being restored - this season has been much fun to recognize/revel in the changes - in addition to a full-scale tree removal program being underway.  Hopefully when Ran visits StL in late Sept  ;), he'll have the chance to get back out for an update.  (I really don't think my writing would be able to compare to that of the rest of you - so I'll defer....for now).

And as an aside, I was introduced to GCA by an SLCC member (who was simply excited to see the course reviewed) about 18 months ago.  Subsequently, I've become enamored with the site and architecture / history beyond CBM (trip to Pinehurst this past Spring was almost spiritual).  I've become far more aware of the nuances, subtleties, etc. of not just SLCC, but everywhere I play now.  For that, thank you (again) Ran and the rest of you here at GCA!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back