News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bart Bradley

New Par 3 to discuss....
« on: December 29, 2007, 02:45:39 PM »
This is the eighth hole at the Virginian golf course in Bristol VA.  I find this hole to be very interesting to play...

It can be a fairly long par 3 slightly downhill...up to 215 from the tips.  There are 2 tee boxes not shown to the left of the old barn on the diagram.  In fact, the first photo is taken from where the two new tee boxes are placed.  The tips can be placed either back right or back left and both would play in the 210-215 yd range.

The green has a ridge in the center and the left half slopes hard from back to front towards the water.  The mounding on the left of the green will allow for a shot to bank/kick to the right and onto the playing surface as long as you carry the left front bunker.  The far left of the green slopes to the right as well. There is a small opening on the right front of the green for a low, running shot and the front right of the green is actually sloped toward the back and to the left, helping to feed a ball onto the putting surface (but the Zoysia grass and typically softer conditions make this hard to pull off).  Playing safely to the right risks going into the right hand bunker...which is dead if the hole is cut in the right third of the green (the right half of the green slopes right to left) but not impossible if the hole position is left...There are numerous hole positions used on this course but the most common are front right...on the top of the ridge in the back center/right and then anywhere left behind the bunker...Interestingly, that is a springhouse on the left, fed by an underground river and always flowing.

I am getting all verklempt.

I've given you a topic...discuss amongst yourselves.

Bart
« Last Edit: December 29, 2007, 03:03:23 PM by Bart Bradley »

ed_getka

Re:New Par 3 to discuss....
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2007, 03:12:26 PM »
Bart,
   Interesting hole. It is too bad the conditions don't work consistently enough for the low runner from the right. The hole looks relatively shallow for a shot of that length. Given that it is a little downhill do you club down one club for that yardage? What direction is the prevailing wind? How is the putt from the right side of the green to a back left pin? I presume a back left pin is tough to get at off the tee. Thanks for sharing.
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2007, 03:23:16 PM »
Bart,
I don't see much need for the two bunkers in front, although  more sand behind the green, that was less visible from the tee than what is there now, would float my boat. Also, a bunker way right, about where the downslope of the hill meets the tip of the approach as shown in the photo, would be a nice addition.

JMO  

p.s. I don't have to pay for these changes, right?  ;D
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Mark Pearce

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2007, 03:30:01 PM »
Agree with Jim about the front left bunkers.  Don't see what purpose they serve.  Do conditions allow you to feed the ball in from the right with a running draw?  If not then that's a shame.  If you can't run the ball in then isn't this a hole where the smart play, for anyone but a very good player, is to lay up short right and chip and putt for par?
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Bart Bradley

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2007, 03:34:00 PM »
Bart,
   Interesting hole. It is too bad the conditions don't work consistently enough for the low runner from the right. The hole looks relatively shallow for a shot of that length. Given that it is a little downhill do you club down one club for that yardage? What direction is the prevailing wind? How is the putt from the right side of the green to a back left pin? I presume a back left pin is tough to get at off the tee. Thanks for sharing.

Ed,

The greens at the Virginian are generally fairly large...this one is 32 yards deep I think.  Yes, the hole plays one to one and a half clubs downhill.  We have no major wind in East TN ...it is in the foothills of the Appalachian Mnts and wind is rarely a major factor, but more often plays downwind than anything else.  You can get to all parts of the green with a well struck shot... the greens are generally fairly soft and I think the downhill nature of the hole helps you to hold the green ...I have only seen a handful of shots hit the green and go over the back...Now if you fly to the back fringe, you are sure to go well over.

Glad you enjoyed.

Bart
« Last Edit: December 29, 2007, 03:35:01 PM by Bart Bradley »

Bart Bradley

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2007, 03:37:15 PM »
Bart,
I don't see much need for the two bunkers in front, although  more sand behind the green, that was less visible from the tee than what is there now, would float my boat. Also, a bunker way right, about where the downslope of the hill meets the tip of the approach as shown in the photo, would be a nice addition.

JMO  

p.s. I don't have to pay for these changes, right?  ;D

Jim,

Thanks for your thoughts.  The bunker in the left front does occassionally catch a shot that might otherwise kick into the water..?maybe that is the reason for it.

The bill is in the mail.

Bart
« Last Edit: December 29, 2007, 03:41:46 PM by Bart Bradley »

Bart Bradley

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2007, 03:47:55 PM »
Agree with Jim about the front left bunkers.  Don't see what purpose they serve.  Do conditions allow you to feed the ball in from the right with a running draw?  If not then that's a shame.  If you can't run the ball in then isn't this a hole where the smart play, for anyone but a very good player, is to lay up short right and chip and putt for par?

Mark,

The landing area short and right is much smaller than the green itself so I don't think that is the play...I have seen a running draw work but cannot hit that shot consistently ..My game has always been a high fade.  I don't think the conditions preclude this shot but our Zoysia rarely plays hard and fast and is quite sticky...A low draw however will work.

Bart

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2007, 05:33:24 PM »
Pretty nice Redan...

if it wasn't for that fishin' hole POND in the middle of everythin'!!! ;D

luv,
FBD.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back