News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Brian

POOR MAN'S PEBBLE BEACH - PACIFIC GROVE MUNICPAL
« on: August 05, 2002, 08:28:14 PM »
I am new to the site... gave it a once over and noticed that there are no comments on one of the best municipal courses in the country: Pacific Grove Municipal Golf Links.  For a mere $35 ($38 on the weekend) you have a great golf experience at your disposal.  The front nine are a good warm-up.  The back nine absolutely beautiful... I am going to be bold here and say the scenery (on the back nine) is as nice as Pebble Beach.  For that matter, Pebble is at most a 15 minute drive from this hidden gem.  Any comments. ???
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by 1056376800 »

A_Clay_Man

Re: POOR MAN'S PEBBLE BEACH - PACIFIC GROVE MUNICP
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2002, 06:16:30 AM »
PG is often discussed here. It's uniqueness in America is one of the best golfing experiences one could have for under fifty bucks.

The truth be known, the course is overpriced, due to the greediness of the city & super/GM. I hope his dream of a new clubhouse is shut down. When I started playing there in 96' the fees were less than $25. The subsequent windfall was not put back into the place and it is possible that they have circumvented paying the coast guard monies due for the use of the backnine.

Now, in a world like ours, today, do you want municipalities screwing one of the great institutions in our country? One that will bear the brunt of securing our borders. I don't!

Does Gail Norton know? Does she care? I hope the city loses the op to aquire the nine. They don't deserve it. It should be given to a trust that is run for the recreation of peninsula residents, the way it is stated in the charter, not the inept politico's who have been polluting the ocean for years while building monuments to thier egos. The Windfall has allowed more monuments. but no sewer.

Don't get me started.

THuckaby2

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2002, 06:18:29 AM »
Welcome and right on, Brian.  PCGC is well-loved in this group most definitely.  If the archives worked better you'd see lots of comment on it... in fact a big group of us played it last summer and we had a blast.  Again, it would be REALLY cool if you could play the back nine twice, but what the hell, the front is quirky and great fun.  The great man posting on here as A_Clay_Man can tell you everything you ever wanted to know about this cool golf course, having played it probably 1000 times... Right, Adam?

TH

John_D._Bernhardt

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2002, 08:07:01 PM »
I have been to Pebble as much as any man from Louisiana. I had as good a day as a man could have playing golf with Adam, Tom H, Bob H, Dan King, Gib, Gib's buddy, Stedner and I hope I have not forgotten anybody on a beautiful day last year. PG is great golf and a testiment to the glory of golf in America that reminds one of the lesser known courses in Scotland. The back nine is great golf in a glorious setting.

John_Conley

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2002, 08:12:14 PM »
I can't believe nobody mentioned this yet.  For anyone new to GCA, the site has a BUNCH of course profiles.  Hit the left navigation bar.  I think there is a profile of Pacific Grove.  If not there, you may find one under "My Home Course".  As already mentioned, the course has been discussed at length and many may not take the time to re-post their thoughts.  If you do care for some commentary, you should be able to find some on the site.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back