News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Chip Gaskins

Harry Colt books?
« on: December 26, 2007, 09:44:56 PM »
Are there any Harry Colt books out there that you guys would recommend?  I did a short search but didn't really find anything.

Gene Greco

Re:Harry Colt books?
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2007, 11:04:34 PM »
"Colt and Company" by Hawtree  1991

"Some Essays on Golf Course Architecture"  by Colt (and Alison)
"...I don't believe it is impossible to build a modern course as good as Pine Valley.  To me, Sand Hills is just as good as Pine Valley..."    TOM DOAK  November 6th, 2010

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2007, 02:13:30 AM »
Colt and co is very hard to find.

In 2008 there should be a new book by Henry Lord, published by

www.iconbooks.co.uk    -  this seems like a venture into new territtory for them.

Ammended (thanks Neil)

« Last Edit: December 27, 2007, 04:28:14 AM by Tony_Muldoon »
Let's make GCA grate again!

Neil_Crafter

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2007, 03:53:15 AM »
Tony
I could not find any reference to such a book on that website.
cheers Neil

TEPaul

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2007, 07:30:23 AM »
I don't know much about Colt books or books about Colt but someone should definitely try to sweep together any remaining documentation and evidence of where the man was and when during whatever travels he did do, particularly to North America.

I'm just as interested in figuring out what can be determined about Colt's influence on others as I am about what Colt actually did himself.

This entire early heathland time and influence I feel has just got to be comprehensively documented and far better analyzed as to its influence on the architecture to come around the world.

I feel it could be as much of an influence on some of the most significant Golden Age INLAND American architecture as anything else, including the linksland.

Tom Roewer

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2007, 07:46:43 AM »
TE - I would contact The Colt Association - www.coltassociation.com

Dan Moore

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2007, 10:51:26 AM »
I saw a reference to a book or pamphlet authored by Colt entitled "Book of the Links."  Anyone familiar with this titile?  
"Is there any other game which produces in the human mind such enviable insanity."  Bernard Darwin

Dan Boerger

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2007, 11:06:22 AM »
Boy, Tom, do I agree with you. The first time I played Walton Heath a number of years ago I couldn't help but imagine the designer(s) probably had no inland template to fall back on. What a great use of the heather and rolling property at so many of those London area courses.

I recall fellow GCA'er Chris Clouser was working on a history of the Healthlands book of some sort. I don't know where it stands, but if he's around still I'm sure he could comment.
"Man should practice moderation in all things, including moderation."  Mark Twain

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2007, 11:09:12 AM »
Colt contributed a chapter to the book.

SUTTON, Martin H F[Ed]
The Book of the Links A Symposium on Golf L: W H Smith [1912] contribs by Sir G Riddell, B Darwin, H S Colt, A 212pp + advts,

2 Copies currently available from

http://www.rhodmcewan.com/index_search.htm
Let's make GCA grate again!

Chris_Clouser

« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2007, 07:43:50 PM »
Tony,

I couldn't find a reference to the book either.  I would look forward to something that went into some detail about Colt's career, as most would here I think.

Dan,

As for the Heathlands book, it is waiting on a publisher at this time.  I have shopped it around and there are no takers yet.  

Dan Boerger

« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2007, 08:22:49 AM »
Chris - Good luck with the book and keep us posted on your progress. I'll be in London late Spring and can't wait to get on some of those fine courses again.
"Man should practice moderation in all things, including moderation."  Mark Twain

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back