News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tom Roewer

JOHN McPHEE GOLF ARTICLE IN NEW YORKER
« on: December 29, 2007, 09:09:07 AM »
Finally my favorite, Pulitzer winner John Mcphee has written on golf!! One of his articles was mentioned on a "hidden gems" thread a while ago.  It's a very interesting piece on the Oakmont Open this year.  I got a back issue @ my local library and copied for 10cent a page. The issue is from 8/6/2007 under The Sporting Scene,  titled "RIP VAN GOLFER - NOTES FROM OAKMONT".  Try it, you'll like it!

Steve_ Shaffer

Re:JOHN McPHEE GOLF ARTICLE IN NEW YORKER
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2007, 09:13:02 AM »
The full article is not available online so go to your library and find it as Tom suggests

www.newyorker.com/reporting/2007/08/06/070806fa_fact_mcphee
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

ed_getka

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2007, 10:59:56 AM »
Thanks for the info. Someone on this site recommended the writing of Mr McPhee a couple of years ago, so I sought out some of his books. If someone can make reading about oranges enjoyable, I can only imagine what he could do with golf as the subject.
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

David_Tepper

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2007, 03:44:40 PM »
Ed -

Among McPhee's many excellent books is one called "The Crofter and the Laird."  It is about life on the Hebridean isle of Colonsay, off the west coast of Scotland, where McPhee's ancestors are from.

No golf in the book, but a nice read in any case.

DT

ed_getka

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2007, 06:34:26 PM »
David,
   I remember that one being mentioned specifically in the past. So far I have just been reading his work chronologically to see how his writing evolved over the years. I will have to try to remember to get down to the library for this golf piece however.
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Gary Daughters

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2007, 09:16:48 PM »

For my money John McPhee is the best writer out there but, bless him, he resorted to the ultimate New Yorker cliche;  he used the word "littoral" (page 29).

Ed G. and anyone else, if you can't find the mag shoot me an IM and I'll mail you my copy.  Anything McPhee writes is worth reading.
THE NEXT SEVEN:  Alfred E. Tupp Holmes Municipal Golf Course, Willi Plett's Sportspark and Driving Range, Peachtree, Par 56, Browns Mill, Cross Creek, Piedmont Driving Club

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back