News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Michael_Stachowicz

Re:Is this how Superintendents really feel?
« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2007, 12:20:43 PM »

You know what, we all have similar problems.  My son is an attorney and is constantly second guessed.  

We all have jobs where we are second guessed.  I suppose we can call them names but maybe we could be mature and not spend so much time bellyaching.

First off, the article was not constructive and while I am not a fan of the pc movement I am horrified that some would think this  is what I think.

Secondly, I like what Tommy said.  I am finding a kinship amongst my members who are constantly being second guessed in their field and are subject to the "what have you done for me lately" attitude.  

Kyle Harris

« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2007, 12:53:53 PM »
I don't see any complaining about being second guessed in the article. I see complaining about ignorance and lack of respect for the golf course.

Finding fault in a member for not fixing a ball mark is NOT complaining about second guessing, it's asking that member to show some respect to the golf course and the groups behind them.

Asking a member to understand that cart and foot traffic can do serious damage in certain weather conditions is NOT complaining about being second guessed, it's asking that member to show some respect to the golf course and the other golfers.

Asking a member to understand that golf courses are living, breathing entities and very unique in their own right is NOT complaining about being second guessed, it's asking that member to understand that grass can need a vacation, too.

Frankly, someone who doesn't fix a ball mark they notice and walk right over is being a huge dope, and inconsiderate. Especially if it won't hold up play. If anyone demands to play during a frost delay or take a cart out in wet conditions - they're being inconsiderate and dumb, as that damage can last a whole season. I also can't tell you how many times I've played golf with someone I met on the first tee, and during the time waiting on a par 3 for the group to clear I would fill in divots from the divot mix box - and my companions would ask why I'm doing someone else's job.

Some golfers need perspective on what/how a golf course lives before opening their mouth to complain.

Ken Moum

« Reply #27 on: December 15, 2007, 01:06:49 PM »
I also can't tell you how many times I've played golf with someone I met on the first tee, and during the time waiting on a par 3 for the group to clear I would fill in divots from the divot mix box - and my companions would ask why I'm doing someone else's job.

As someone who takes pride in the course I belong to, nothing is more aggravating than that attitude.  

I haven't played any of our members who had the nerve to say it out loud, but on a couple of occasions my wife has.

Once, when she stopped to put up some posts along the edge of a cart path after the mower passed, someone said, "Don't we pay people to do that?"

The fact is, our club is operating on the thinnest shoestring, our superintendent is working himself to death, and if more of our members helped out with simple things like filling divots, it could make a big difference.

Some do, but not anything like a majority..

Ken
Over time, the guy in the ideal position derives an advantage, and delivering him further  advantage is not worth making the rest of the players suffer at the expense of fun, variety, and ultimately cost -- Jeff Warne, 12-08-2010

Kyle Harris

« Reply #28 on: December 15, 2007, 01:14:54 PM »
Ken,

I've noticed a rather neat give-and-take attitude between members and superintendents. There's nothing more heartening to see a member just go a little bit out of their way during the course of a round to make a golf course better. When I see it, I'll approach discreetly and thank that member/player and then go put some extra effort into whatever assignment I have. I'd like to think that effort shows to other players/members and they do something and so on.

When you're on the golf course:

[glow=green, 10, 14]PAY IT FORWARD[/glow]

As for filling divots? Most don't know this, but that's usually a separate assignment that takes whomever is doing it an hour or so depending on play...
« Last Edit: December 15, 2007, 01:16:18 PM by Kyle Harris »

Ken Moum

« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2007, 02:37:44 PM »
Ken,

I've noticed a rather neat give-and-take attitude between members and superintendents. There's nothing more heartening to see a member just go a little bit out of their way during the course of a round to make a golf course better. When I see it, I'll approach discreetly and thank that member/player and then go put some extra effort into whatever assignment I have. I'd like to think that effort shows to other players/members and they do something and so on.

As for filling divots? Most don't know this, but that's usually a separate assignment that takes whomever is doing it an hour or so depending on play...

I like that.

It's frustrating to me that private club members are aren't any better than the guys who play the local public courses.

I take some pride in the the course where I play, and I like to think that our superintendent and maintenance staff appreciates it.

Ken
Over time, the guy in the ideal position derives an advantage, and delivering him further  advantage is not worth making the rest of the players suffer at the expense of fun, variety, and ultimately cost -- Jeff Warne, 12-08-2010

Kyle Harris

« Reply #30 on: December 15, 2007, 03:09:01 PM »
Ken,

I like that.

It's frustrating to me that private club members are aren't any better than the guys who play the local public courses.

I take some pride in the the course where I play, and I like to think that our superintendent and maintenance staff appreciates it.

Ken

Ken,

I know of superintendents that have driven past trash on a golf course just to see how long it takes for their staff to notice and pick it up...

:(

Matthew Hunt

« Reply #31 on: December 15, 2007, 03:20:18 PM »
Since I worked at RCD during the summer it annoys me when people:

Don't replace Divots
Don't Rake Bunkers
Don't repair Pitch Marks
Littering

The list could go on. What annoys me also is some people will do the above on the #1 but not the #2. They say the #2 isn't as high quality but thats a lot to do with sweet golfers like them (D######ds!) not showing respect. I coming a grumpy (young) man ;)

Pat Brockwell

« Reply #32 on: December 15, 2007, 04:38:29 PM »
Steve,
They may not want to love you, but can you make them love you, even against their own will?  It is very satisfying to turn a bad attitude into support, just be careful not to get attached to the outcome.  They may never come around, but by giving them the best you've got you win either way.  It's kind of like going for an unusual golf shot.  Even if you miss, you get credit for the attempt.  

In general, I expect that some of our patrons will misbehave and I will find a way to correct them and accept them.  They are alot easier to correct when they feel accepted, IME.  I also expect that some patrons will leave the course better that they found it, and for them I find it easy to give rewards, often no more than asking how the greens are rolling, or being very attentive to a question or complaint.

I guess my main point is that getting angry isn't very productive, and really shouldn't be allowed on the playground.  By finding alternate strategies, I've become better at my job and I enjoy it more.  As a proffessional, I think I should model fun behavior, hopefully better than any one else.   When I do pull it off, they sometimes love me even when they don't want to.

W.H. Cosgrove

« Reply #33 on: December 15, 2007, 05:03:13 PM »
I place this RANT in the 'things you would like to say but really shouldn't' file.  

The points are valid, the tone wouldn't get you far with your members!

Happy Holidays

Scott Stambaugh

« Reply #34 on: December 15, 2007, 10:25:45 PM »
I read this article the other night and am fine with it because-

1.  No one outside of the industry reads this publication.

2.  I do not pay for it.

For all of the work the GCSAA does to promote the value of the Superintendent, articles like this bring nothing to the table.

SS

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back