News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tyler Kearns

Re:Stanley Thompson - World Golf Hall of Fame?
« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2007, 10:00:59 AM »
Jeff,

You would think a federal surplus of $13 billion :o :o :o they could funnel a couple of bucks towards the restoration of Highlands Links, designed by a "person of national significance".

Tom,

Stanley was an accomplished player at the national amateur level, being the medallist at the Cdn. Amateur a few times. Further, I believe he won some amateur events down in Florida during the winter months.

TK

Tom Roewer

« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2007, 10:10:35 AM »
Tyler-  I know that his brother won some in Florida, I'm checking,  It's interesting in The Toronto Terror it states that stanley was thought as the best player of the brothers, but the others seemed to win more.

Chris Parker

« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2007, 12:06:13 PM »
Jeff,

I do know about the painting -- I own a print of it  ;D -- I was just thinking more along the lines of statues in the context of this thread.  Obviously a much bigger investment for clubs, I was just wondering aloud if the Thompson Society should actively promote such a program or leave it up to the members of individual courses and/or interested local persons.

Tom,

Like a lot of golf course architects today, I'm betting Stan didn't have a whole lot of time to play golf, especially tournament golf.  It's interesting to note, though, that he was the winner of the inaugural Totem Pole Tournament at Jasper Park Lodge in 1926.
"Undulation is the soul of golf." - H.N. Wethered

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back