News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tommy Williamsen

Why does the course configuration change for tournaments?
« on: December 13, 2007, 03:59:53 PM »
It made some sense at the Hoylake Open.  And I can understand that they don't want Congressional to end on a par threeI haven't seen the routing at Sherwood this year but I know in previous years it has been changed.  I have played Sherwood and the change didn't make any sense to me.  There must be some reason but I can't figure it out.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2007, 04:04:18 PM by Tommy Williamsen »
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Brian Laurent

Re:Why does the course configuration change for tournaments?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2007, 05:10:22 PM »
I have not been to Sherwood, so I can't explain that one...however, some routings need tweaked for grandstands and other hospitality areas.  For example, at Saucon for their USGA championships, they changed the order in which the back nine played, #12 became #18 for tournament play so they could fit a grandstand behind the green.  
"You know the two easiest jobs in the world? College basketball coach or golf course superintendent, because everybody knows how to do your job better than you do." - Roy Williams | @brianjlaurent | @OHSuperNetwork

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2007, 06:01:40 PM »
That makes sense.  I knew there were reasons.  
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2007, 06:04:19 PM »
At Opryland, the took out a crossover walk to a tee to get crowds around the resort course better.  It causes back to back par 3's as a result.

Of course, I have taken to routing courses with the front and back nines reversed, simply because any pro will reverse them for me to have some input in the design, tournament or not.  As we all know, people love to fiddle with golf courses.
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2007, 06:08:16 PM »
Good point Jeff.  I have been to a number of Courses where they have reversed nines.  I never understood it because it seemed fine the other way.
St. John of the Cross

JohnV

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2007, 06:21:01 PM »
So many reasons I'm sure I'll miss some.

1) TV might like a certain 9 better because of sunlight at the end of the day.
2) They might think that a different routing would lead to a more exciting finish.
3) Pace of play issues.  For example, Ghost Creek at Pumpkin Ridge plays 15-30 minutes faster if play is started on #10.
4) Crowd control.  One 9 or one or two holes might be able to handle the bigger crowds that will naturally gather at the end of the tournament.  Both for grandstands and walking issues.
5) One 9 might work better in the morning.  For example we had a course on the Futures where the grounds crew couldn't mow the first few holes of one side early because the neighbors complained about the noise.
6) If one side is much hillier, they would want it early in the round for the crowds and possibly the players.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2007, 06:43:58 PM »
I've done this sort of thing even at my local muni.  The back 9 has several holes in a canyon, while the front 9 is on an exposed plateau of sorts, so I'll ask to tee off the back first and play the front 9 last.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back