News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jordan Wall

Re:Highlight of 2007
« Reply #75 on: December 12, 2007, 01:46:26 AM »
Is there another country on earth where white shoes in winter are so popular?

Chappers - you did mention something about the most fun someone can have losing a fiver!

Ciao

Of course Leary with the all whites.

Honestly, who wears all white shoes on a golf course..
anyone..
c'mon now..
« Last Edit: December 12, 2007, 01:46:44 AM by Jordan Wall »

Jordan Wall

« Reply #76 on: December 12, 2007, 01:50:00 AM »

3)  Chambers Bay on GCA day in late May. A very special place I intend to get back to this coming year. Once that course matures, it will be a huge challenge.

4)  The Home Course in Tacoma with the NW GCA guys. Sean, Sean, Garland, Pete and Jordan made for a great day. Good course but not in the league of enarby Chambers.

But my special memory is playing with my aunt and her hubby at Predator Ridge in Vernon BC. My aunt, who got me interested in this game, is now 81 and regularly shoots her age. Predator is not an easy course for anyone and it was a special treat to play with her and Bobby at my summer retreat.

I have been very fortunate in '07 and look forward to '08, especially rounds with GCAers.

Bob Jenkins

Sure thing!

How about a Canada weekend come summer time...plus I just really want to say 'aye' really bad, in Canada...I mean, play golf too of course..
 ;D
« Last Edit: December 12, 2007, 01:51:04 AM by Jordan Wall »

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #77 on: December 12, 2007, 03:43:07 AM »
Mr Freeman,

I shouldn't go off topic but if you want a lo-light of the year it was losing to you at Deal closely followed by injuring myself for 4-5 months no golf.

Revenge will be sweet but I will require paying in sterling or euros not a wheelbarrow full of $$$!

The Law
Cave Nil Vino

George Pazin

« Reply #78 on: December 12, 2007, 12:18:50 PM »
My highlight was teeing it up with Bill McBride at Pensacola CC.

It was an easy pick, since I only played 3 1/2 rounds, but in looking back, it would've been the highlight of all but maybe 2 or 3 of my 11 years of playing golf.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Andrew Mitchell

« Reply #79 on: December 12, 2007, 01:58:30 PM »
My highlight of 2007 was the GCA meeting in East Lothian last March.  There were four separate and distinct parts to a two day trip:
1. Hickories at Musselburgh - a great experience
2. 18 holes at North Berwick - always a delight
3. A guided tour at the Renaissance Club with Tom Doak and a couple of his associates followed by dinner
4. 36 holes at Muirfield plus lunch

Other honourable mentions should go to Buda V at Alwoodley and a very wet Moortown, and to my winning the President's Day medal at my home club ;D
2014 to date: not actually played anywhere yet!
Still to come: Hollins Hall; Ripon City; Shipley; Perranporth; St Enodoc

Mark Pearce

« Reply #80 on: December 12, 2007, 02:45:47 PM »
Many highlights for me - a good golfing year.

The GCA get together at North Berwick/Muirfield was a great start, followed shortly to a wonderful visit to Chicago and being hosted at Olympia Fields by Terry Lavin.  My first experience of Private golf in the US and an eye opener in a good way.  Also (naturally, I guess) my first experience of a great US parkland course.  A great round in the company of a very gracious and entertaining host made all the more intersting by having explained to me the changes made for the 2003 US Open.

Playing in the Elie Links Championship in absolutely foul weather with my eleven year old son caddieing for me.

BUDA V at Alwoodley and the pre-BUDA trip to Ganton.

Silloth on a sunny day with colleagues.

36 at Muirfield with my father in law and playing in a "pool" foursome in the afternoon.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Scott Szabo

« Reply #81 on: December 12, 2007, 03:18:06 PM »
Augusta National in April - first visit to the hallowed ground with three buddies made for a lifetime of memories.

Getting to meet Mr. Clayman from Ogallala and spending a few days on the course with him, along with many of his guests.  It was a special treat to meet Corey Crandall as well, and hope to visit him and his club next summer when we take our annual pilgrimmage through western Nebraska.

But the true highlight of the year for me was having my 9 year-old daughter ask if we could go out and hit balls one particular July afternoon.  Our club is closed on Monday, so I took both my kids out to the range and picked balls.  She had an awesome time and can't wait to go out each and every time.  I think I'll have a golf partner for life!

A great memory also came as a result of that afternoon, thanks to my 4 year-old son.  We were hitting balls on the range that same afternoon, when nature called.  With the club being closed, I had to excuse myself into the woods to relieve myself.  A few days later I got a call from my wife while at work telling me that my son was out in the front yard, pants down around his ankles, watering the flowers.  When she confronted him, he proceeded to tell her that I had done that at the golf course, so he didn't understand why he couldn't do it at home!  My wife was able to catch that moment on film - won't he be surprised when that picture is shown as he grows older!

"So your man hit it into a fairway bunker, hit the wrong side of the green, and couldn't hit a hybrid off a sidehill lie to take advantage of his length? We apologize for testing him so thoroughly." - Tom Doak, 6/29/10

Jim Thompson

« Reply #82 on: December 12, 2007, 04:17:18 PM »
Gotta go with the Dixie Cup!  Although not the best golf of the year... certainly the most fun.  From a very entertaining political debate, to severe dorkification, from waffle house trips with one of the worst driving former cops of all time, to observing the finer points of play on the hillbilly tour, to an alumni led trip 'round ole Athens, to the meeting of those who see the craft as applied common sense, to extra rounds with those who could have qualified as alternates for the olympic drinking team, and did I mention the birdie ball???  What a great time and I look forward to making it an annual tradition!  Many thanks to all of those who participated in making my week!

Cheers!

JT
Jim Thompson

Bill_McBride

« Reply #83 on: December 12, 2007, 04:43:00 PM »

It was an easy pick, since I only played 3 1/2 rounds, but in looking back, it would've been the highlight of all but maybe 2 or 3 of my 11 years of playing golf.
Thanks, George, it was great having you visit.  And thanks for the great Oakmont series this year, that was another highlight.  ;)

tlavin

« Reply #84 on: December 12, 2007, 04:47:19 PM »

Thanks, George, it was great having you visit.  And thanks for the great Oakmont series this year, that was another highlight.  ;)

I second that emotion.  I'll go on record as saying that it was one of the single greatest acts of generosity ever accomplished on this wonderful site.

Jason Topp

« Reply #85 on: December 12, 2007, 05:04:38 PM »
A great memory also came as a result of that afternoon, thanks to my 4 year-old son.  We were hitting balls on the range that same afternoon, when nature called.  With the club being closed, I had to excuse myself into the woods to relieve myself.  A few days later I got a call from my wife while at work telling me that my son was out in the front yard, pants down around his ankles, watering the flowers.  When she confronted him, he proceeded to tell her that I had done that at the golf course, so he didn't understand why he couldn't do it at home!  My wife was able to catch that moment on film - won't he be surprised when that picture is shown as he grows older!

My son had a similar conversation with my wife 10 years ago.

PThomas

« Reply #86 on: December 12, 2007, 05:17:40 PM »

I have a solution:  have three daughters like I did! ;)
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Scott Szabo

« Reply #87 on: December 12, 2007, 05:20:31 PM »

I have a solution:  have three daughters like I did! ;)

Let's see, three daughters, one wife.  That potentially means four weeks a month of pure hell!! :)
"So your man hit it into a fairway bunker, hit the wrong side of the green, and couldn't hit a hybrid off a sidehill lie to take advantage of his length? We apologize for testing him so thoroughly." - Tom Doak, 6/29/10

Kalen Braley

« Reply #88 on: December 12, 2007, 05:22:44 PM »
If your saying what I think your saying, not to fret...

Mother nature has a way of "aligning" these things if you know what I mean. So its usually one helacious week followed by 3 of harmony!!   ;D
« Last Edit: December 12, 2007, 05:23:11 PM by Kalen Braley »

George Pazin

« Reply #89 on: December 12, 2007, 05:24:48 PM »

I second that emotion.  I'll go on record as saying that it was one of the single greatest acts of generosity ever accomplished on this wonderful site.

Thanks for the kind words.

Though I will say, it's hard to call an act of passion an act of generosity.

:)
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

PThomas

« Reply #90 on: December 12, 2007, 05:30:35 PM »

Mother nature has a way of "aligning" these things if you know what I mean. So its usually one helacious week followed by 3 of harmony!!   ;D

I refuse to comment on the grounds that it might cause me bodily injury!
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Scott Szabo

« Reply #91 on: December 12, 2007, 05:34:38 PM »

You got my point exactly!!

Tom Birkert

« Reply #92 on: December 12, 2007, 05:38:40 PM »
Got to be getting to play Cypress Point Club.

It was a tough year all round, my Mother died in August and seeing her pride and joy while going through the photos from that trip to California will stay with me for ever. She was a non-golfer but appreciated the physical beauty and loved the picture of me on the 15th tee.

That aside, it was a pleasure to host a couple of GCAers at Sunningdale and other enjoyable rounds were Pebble Beach, Riviera and Royal St George's.

Roll on 2008 when I hope to have some more interesting holidays!

Kalen Braley

« Reply #93 on: December 12, 2007, 05:40:40 PM »

You got my point exactly!!

I can only blame my knowing this on our current post secondary college system.  ;D

Going to college and being subjected to rather frank conversations with 6 girls all living in the same apartment can be highly informative in many ways.   :o  ;)

JESII

« Reply #94 on: December 12, 2007, 07:53:04 PM »

Gotta ask...Scott, do you really drop you pants to your ankles when you piss outside?

My four year old learned how to go outside this summer as well...and it's on film as well...

Seth Berliner

« Reply #95 on: December 12, 2007, 08:13:44 PM »
The birth of my first child. :)

Scott Szabo

« Reply #96 on: December 12, 2007, 08:16:24 PM »

Gotta ask...Scott, do you really drop you pants to your ankles when you piss outside?

My four year old learned how to go outside this summer as well...and it's on film as well...

No, I don't drop my pants to my ankles when I take a piss outside.   ;D

It's nice to know there are other children doing the same thing that my son is doing right now.....

JESII

« Reply #97 on: December 12, 2007, 08:19:52 PM »
My guy didn't know he could go at all standing up until we were at the beach and he had to...now it's like target practice...

J_ Crisham

« Reply #98 on: December 12, 2007, 08:33:41 PM »
Golfwise, Playing at ChampionsGC,Erin Hills,East Lake ,Peachtree, The Honors Course, and my sentimental favorite, because its home :Beverly. Coaching teeball and soccer on the homefront. Meeting new friends thru golf-what a great game that has such quality people involved. the greatest event I played a role in ,although quite small, was the Beverly Evans Scholar event which raised a record amount $600K in one day. Talk about the generosity of golfers for a most worthwhile cause! Looking forward to more fun in 2008. Hopefully a trip to Ohio to play more architectural gems in July. Possibly a return to Bandon in Oct.

Steve Verde

« Reply #99 on: December 13, 2007, 09:29:37 AM »
I made back-to-back birdies once

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back