News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sean Leary

Re:Highlight of 2007
« Reply #100 on: December 13, 2007, 10:40:08 AM »

Of course Leary with the all whites.

Honestly, who wears all white shoes on a golf course..
anyone..
c'mon now..

Two things.  One they aren't all whites, you just can't see the black stripes.  Two, when you play for 36 for three days in Bandon in the winter, you wear every pair of golf shoes you own, young grasshopper..
« Last Edit: December 13, 2007, 10:41:08 AM by Sean Leary »

PThomas

« Reply #101 on: December 13, 2007, 10:58:17 AM »
I like the all white shoes, esp when compared to white saddle shoes

and Tiger wears all white shoes, and he's a pretty darn good dresser!
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

John Kirk

« Reply #102 on: December 13, 2007, 11:03:33 AM »
The highlight?  Playing a match at Ballyneal.  Me and my friend Dennis Darling versus Mike Robin and John Kavanaugh.  Kavanaugh rolls in a 25 footer for birdie on 17 to win the match 2 and 1, at which point he raises his arms over his head and starts dancing around the green, pointing and yelling like a crazed madman:

"In you face!  Face!  I am the greatest.  Yeah, baby!  Woohoo!"

He then pulled out a sharpie, ripped the cap off of my head, and signed it for me.

At least part of this story is true...

« Last Edit: December 13, 2007, 11:04:14 AM by John Kirk »

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #103 on: December 13, 2007, 11:07:23 AM »
Drinking wine with Sully, during which we figured out most of the golf world's problems.    

Paul Sinclair

« Reply #104 on: December 13, 2007, 01:09:29 PM »
The highlight of my 2007 golf year was being involved in the complete renovation of the golf course at which I have played since I took up the game seriously in 1980. We began the planning process for this project 4 years ago and I have been working on it with our Course Architect Lester George since then. We hired Landscapes Unlimited in 2006 and broke ground on January 8 this year. The last of the construction crew just left the property in the last several days. The results of the renovation have far surpassed our members' expectations. What was once a mediocre course (at best) has really been transformed into something special and our members cannot wait to play it. Course reopening is planned for Memorial Day 2008.

Being involved with the project completely changed my understanding of golf courses, my perspective on the game, and my enjoyment of it. My hat is off to all of you architects, construction folks, and superintendents. I absolutely marvel at what goes into building an exceptional golf course and I think we were able to pull it off at our course because of a lot of hard work and a lot of commitment by everyone involved. There's information about the project by clicking the link below:

http://www.willowoakscc.net/renovation

Because of the construction, I didn't get to play as much golf as I would have liked in 2007 but I did get a chance to play the Bandon trilogy and that was another highlight for me!

Dan Moore

« Reply #105 on: December 13, 2007, 02:31:13 PM »
Thanks in large part to the generousity of several fellow GCAers I was fortunate to have several gca highlights.  

Special thanks to Mark Chaplin and Craig Disher who helped jump start my season with 4 rounds in England preceeding a family vacation in London.  Mark and Craig were instrumental in arranging for me to play with some locals who provided some good matches and companionship and greatly enhanced the enjoyment of Piltdown, Rye, Littlestone and Deal.  Thanks Mark and Craig and I look forward to returning the favor someday hopefully soon.  

I also enjoyed concluding my year in November at Erin Hills with a group of fellow GCAers after playing 36 there in the Publinx qualifier in June.  The reduced rate will be in effect to start 2008--any takers?  

In between thanks to Paul Thomas, Jeff Goldman and Eric Terhorst for many enjoyable rounds and a chance to share some terrific architecture.  

And finally very special thanks to Ron Forse and Dave Esler for their participation in the Langford Moreau Tour.  Thanks as well to Mike McGuire our host at West Bend and Ted Moreau our host at Ozaukee, and to Dick Daley for his assistance to the L/M cult.  I hear we may be checking out L/M in Iowa next year when UW plays Iowa in October.  

Happy holidays and thanks to all.  

"Is there any other game which produces in the human mind such enviable insanity."  Bernard Darwin

Dean DiBerardino

« Reply #106 on: December 13, 2007, 04:33:49 PM »
My highlight of 2007 was attending the US Open on Father’s Day with my mother, father, and sister.  Somehow we secured a spot in the bleachers behind #18 green and were able to witness the action on most of the back nine (with binoculars) as well as a great finish.

Golf course highlights for 2007 included playing Indianwood Old, Chechessee Creek, Old Town, Kahkwa, Briar’s Creek and Kiawah Ocean.

Lastly, this is my first post on the GCA DG and a highlight as well!

James Bennett

« Reply #107 on: December 13, 2007, 05:50:51 PM »
Dean

welcome, and nice to see another panorama shot - the second I have seen posted from Oakmont.

For me, the absolute highlights were getting to play at Riviera (with my host Michael and his brother celebrating a birthday), Muirfield and The Old Course (Reverse) with a perplexed and befuddled Scot.  The foursomes at Muirfield in the afternoon is probably my fondest memory of a match this year (Bill and Phillip were no match for the unrelenting pressure applied by Andrew and myself).

The second highlight was entertaining guests from overseas - Ed and David at home and at Royal Adelaide (sorry about the temporary greens) plus Lloyd with Neil at Glenelg (and a fine albeit intimate concert).  My wife is starting to understand that my GCA friends are really quite nice, especially for cyber-geeks.

Other highlights were meeting two of the heavyweights of GCA in March - Tommy 'The Tominator' Naccarrato at Rustic Canyon (with several other GCA'ers) and George Bahto at The Renaissance Club in Scotland.  I also had the privilege to meet architects Kelly Blake Moran and Tom Doak, and to see a practising female architect (sorry, I can't remember her name).

Throw in some golf at Alwoodley with Nick, Royal Sydney with Andrew, a couple of get-togethers in Melbourne including golf at St Andrews Beach with Matt, Rich and Mark, and golf with Terry at Grange West.

I probably got to meet another 20 or so GCA-ers this year - in Southern California (especially Rustic Canyon), in Scotland at Muirfield and the Reverse Old Course, and in Melbourne at Lloyd's dinner.  I doubt that 2008 will be as expansive as 2007, but one can hope.

Thanks must go to Monterey Bob for encouraging me to travel with golf clubs a couple of years ago.  It has been a very good change for me.

James B
« Last Edit: December 13, 2007, 05:53:33 PM by James Bennett »
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #108 on: December 13, 2007, 10:08:07 PM »

I'm sorry, but what the heck is that to the left of the 18th green at Oakmont?   :o :P

I'm simultaneously looking at the previous "boring" bunkers at Oakmont's 18th exhibited on page 28 of Geoff Shackelford's "Golden Age of Golf Design, as well as page 143 of Jack Nicklaus's "The Greatest Game of All", and I'm suddenly terribly, terribly confused.   ::)

Dean,

Welcome to GolfClubAtlas!   ;D

My questions are purely rhetorical and not meant to diminish what sounds like a wonderful weekend in the slightest.

I'm strictly talking about the strange string of bunkers.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2007, 10:13:48 PM by MPCirba »

Ari Techner

« Reply #109 on: December 13, 2007, 10:38:33 PM »
I had a truly amazing year in terms of new courses played.  It will be a tough one to beat.  In no particular order, these course were new to me in 2007:
Oakmont
Yale
Holston Hills
Fox Chapel
Sand Hills
Royal Cinque Ports
Royal County Down
Lahinch
Royal Portrush
The Addington
Erin Hills
Ballyneal
Wild Horse
Blue Mound
Chattanooga CC
Chambers Bay
Centennial GC
Eagle Point
Bandon Crossings
Grand Cypress New
Southern Dunes
Mystic Dunes
TPC Sawgrass Stadium
Talking Stick North
Morgan Creek
Athens CC
Oconee at Reynolds
Georgia Club
Dallas Athletic Club
Highlands Reserve

I was also fortunate enough to make return trips to:
Lookout Mountain
Shoreacres
Olympia Fields
Franklin Hills
Pacific Dunes
Bandon Dunes
Bandon Trails
Sheep Ranch
Eugene CC
Black Creek
Portland GC
Columbia Edgewater
Waverley
University of Michigan

The highlights would be:

1)  My trip to Sand Hills and Ballyneal this summer.  It doesnt get much better.  

2)  My first trip overseas and my first true links course Royal Cinque Ports.  Gaining overseas membership at RCP was a true honor and highlight.  

3)  My second overseas trip.  9 rounds at Lahnich with my local friend Patrick Glynn.  A hole in one 6 iron at The Dell.  Royal County Down days before the Walker Cup and Royal Portrush.  A trip I will never forget.  

My most recent highlight would be 48 holes at Lookout Mountain GC last Wednesday.  LM is one of the most fun golf experiences you can have anywhere in the USA and spending a full day there was a true joy.  The ground is hard and fast and the greens were as pure, true and fast as any I have played including Oakmont.  LM is imo one of the true hidden gems of golf.  

Bill_McBride

« Reply #110 on: December 14, 2007, 08:53:00 AM »

The foursomes at Muirfield in the afternoon is probably my fondest memory of a match this year (Bill and Phillip were no match for the unrelenting pressure applied by Andrew and myself).

You had to bring that up.  As I recall, we were 2 up 4 to play and folded like a tent bought on sale at Wal-Mart.  ::)

Merry Christmas, James, my thoughts for early 2009 are turning toward Down Under!

James Bennett

« Reply #111 on: December 14, 2007, 06:43:26 PM »
Bill

I would have been equally happy in my memory if we had finished square, or even one down.  It wasn't the victory, it was the contest played with great company on a superb golf course that revealed more of herself the second time around.  To think that a one of my two games of foursomes is perhaps my most memorable round for the year says something - I am not sure what it says, but it says something.

I also enjoyed playing with David against you and John K at North Berwick - perhaps if we had played two rounds that day the match would have hit the same level.

See you in 2009

James B
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

Bill_McBride

« Reply #112 on: December 14, 2007, 07:33:51 PM »
Bill

I would have been equally happy in my memory if we had finished square, or even one down.  It wasn't the victory, it was the contest played with great company on a superb golf course that revealed more of herself the second time around.  To think that a one of my two games of foursomes is perhaps my most memorable round for the year says something - I am not sure what it says, but it says something.

I also enjoyed playing with David against you and John K at North Berwick - perhaps if we had played two rounds that day the match would have hit the same level.

See you in 2009

James B

Truly a memorable trip!  8)

Andrew Mitchell

« Reply #113 on: December 15, 2007, 11:42:46 AM »
Bill

See you in 2009

James B

James & BIll

Kind words.  That would have been an extremely enjoyable game irrespective of the result.  A great game in great surroundings with excellent company.

Whilst I am a competitive animal by nature that was one of the occasions where the result is secondary to the experience.

2014 to date: not actually played anywhere yet!
Still to come: Hollins Hall; Ripon City; Shipley; Perranporth; St Enodoc

Richard Pennell

« Reply #114 on: December 15, 2007, 01:33:34 PM »
Introducing Ari Techner, Gordon Jones and Richard Pennell to Deal.

Thanks Mark. Deal was a definite highlight for me. Sad to hear you're injured - maybe we could get out again in the spring sometime. I didn't know you'd been playing with hickories either. Was the Deal pro involved? I know he has played in the British Golf Collectors Association match at Mitcham before.

Heathland tour fairly moribund but co-tourist had more important things to do this year.  Congratulations to Richard Pennell on getting spliced – of course it means you’ll have more time for golf in future. ;)

Thank you Tony. Didn't quite get enough golf in, its true, but you've not mentioned Rye, Pennard, Knole Park or the kicking I received round Walton Heath earlier in the year :( . I think the key to playing more as a married man is to try and get my wife to cultivate the same understanding that your wife exhibits. Long way to go there, though.

Although I didn’t play that many courses this year it was great to play certain ones again, and get to know them a little more. Pennard went from 1 play to 4 this year, with the help of Mr Arble and the Club Professional. Similarly, repeat visits to Swinley, Sunningdale (New), Royal Wimbledon, Rye, and Walton Heath (Old) were more rewarding for having seen the courses before.

But the golf highlight for me was attending my first Open Championship, seeing Carnoustie from inside the ropes as a bunker raker, and in particular watching Robert Green make a charge at the leaderboard. After a wonderful round of golf, he missed from about 12 feet on the 18th for a record-equalling 63, and finished just 2 back of the play-off. Priceless.

GCA highlight: The thread that turned, unexpectedly, into a Jenny Agutter appreciation society.
"The rules committee of the Royal and Ancient are yesterday's men, Jeeves. They simply have to face up to the modern world" Bertie Wooster

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #115 on: December 15, 2007, 06:33:07 PM »
Ari,

You are clearly working too hard, take it easy my friend and play some golf!! Looking forward to catching up with you before too long.

Mark

Cave Nil Vino

kconway

« Reply #116 on: December 15, 2007, 06:40:06 PM »
Ballyneal

Royal Cinque Ports

Tim Bert

« Reply #117 on: December 15, 2007, 07:33:41 PM »
I played a lot of golf this year with some really nice ones mixed in - easily a great golf year for me.

The highlight was no doubt the weekend of the Dixie Cup.  I got to host two of my best friends for some golf in Nashville, and then we made the drive to Madison.  I had only met 4 GCA participants before this trip, and I've now met many more.  Golf with Brent, Doug, Jason, Bill, Craig, and RJ was a blast.  Doug thumping my buddy from the white tees on Sunday was special, even if it meant the South lost the Cup.  Dinner was a great time, Mike Young's commentary was fun and appreciated, and the course... wow!

I'm already planning for Dixie Cup 2008.

Mike Hendren

« Reply #118 on: December 15, 2007, 07:35:30 PM »
Tim,  

Highlight might be receiving the letter that Vanderbilt Legends Club is going totally private.

Mike
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

David Stamm

« Reply #119 on: December 15, 2007, 07:53:59 PM »
Highlights of playing for the first time:

Colonial  
Riviera  
LACC North
Stone Eagle
Ojai
Soule Park
Palos Verdes

Highlights of meeting for the first time:

Tommy Naccarato (finally in person, but talked many times)
John Kirk
Brad Tufts
Michael Robin
Pete Lavallee
Brad Klein
Mike Nuzzo
Don Mahaffey

...all total gentlemen and honored to know now. (If I forgotten anyone, I apologize.)

And playing with my friend Jon Spaulding many times at many places, as well as Robert "Baller" Ball. I look forward to a great 2008!

"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Mike Erdmann

« Reply #120 on: December 15, 2007, 08:53:01 PM »
- Saturday & Sunday at the Masters
- The long and winding road down the Mull of Kintyre followed by two glorious days at Machrihanish
- Wandering The Old Course at midnight
- Dinner at the Panmure clubhouse listing to Carnoustie superintendent John Philp speak about preparations for The Open Championship
- Pausing on the 8th hole at North Berwick to chat for a while with an elderly lady returning from the practice area
- Getting paired up with a long-time member and his son on the first tee at Royal County Down and learning more about the course than I could from any caddie
- Enjoying 18 holes of golf with three complete strangers in Montreal who spoke not a word of English and I not a word of French....but all of us understanding the universal language of golf
- Two cold and crisp November mornings at Oakland Hills and Inverness with snowflakes spitting from the sky
- Dinner in Tacoma with Tiger Bernhardt & John Strawn after a wonderful day at Chambers Bay
- Great rounds of golf with Tiger Bernhardt, Bill McBride, Bill Vostinak, Sean Leary, Jeff Doerr, John Kirk, Garland Bayley, Peter Pittock, Slag Bandoon, Peter Herreid and others!
« Last Edit: December 15, 2007, 09:03:15 PM by Mike_Erdmann »

Tim Bert

« Reply #121 on: December 15, 2007, 09:04:31 PM »
Tim,  

Highlight might be receiving the letter that Vanderbilt Legends Club is going totally private.

Mike

That's not a bad bonus highlight.  Actually, the highlight of that particular highlight might be the access to the Little Course that is coming with it.  That's going to be a nice place for my boys to learn the game.

Dan Smoot

« Reply #122 on: December 15, 2007, 09:17:23 PM »
My highlights:

3 days at Bandon with my brother
Wildhorse with my dad, what a great golf course
Pasatiempo
Rustic Canyon

Brock Peyer

« Reply #123 on: December 15, 2007, 09:34:13 PM »
Without a doubt the highlight of the year was the birth of my son, what a blessing he is!!!  I took three months off after he was born.   As far as golf goes, nothing stands out as far as new or great courses, I did play Long Shadow with Gary Daughters and loved the course, probably going to play it again on New Year's Day.  I've only played 10 or so times and my games in the crapper, I think that my handicap went up two strokes and I have only broken 80 twice, but my kids are great, that's all that matters.

PS - As you all are making 2008 a great year playing great courses, give me a ring, I am really jealous reading your lists!!!

Merry Christmas!!!

Gary Daughters

« Reply #124 on: December 15, 2007, 10:12:52 PM »

Brock Peyer's "bank shot" at #2 at Long Shadow.

No joke.
THE NEXT SEVEN:  Alfred E. Tupp Holmes Municipal Golf Course, Willi Plett's Sportspark and Driving Range, Peachtree, Par 56, Browns Mill, Cross Creek, Piedmont Driving Club

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back