News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Phil Benedict

Hacks to Play US Open Course
« on: December 09, 2007, 10:04:01 AM »
Next June a foursome consisting of 3 celebrities and an unknown will play a televised round at Torrey Pines in the US Open setup.  The genesis of the show was Tiger's statement that a 10-handicapper wouldn't break 100 at Oakmont as it was set up for the Open.  Some writer in LA picked up on the comment, and pitched the idea for the show to the USGA via Golf Digest.  David Fay thinks it will be educational and fun.

Celebrities are yet to be identified.  

Tom_Doak

Re:Hacks to Play US Open Course
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2007, 10:06:11 AM »
We need to get a betting pool going on this one once the celebrities and their handicaps are identified.

Joe Bausch

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2007, 10:14:20 AM »
Here are more details on the event, an article from the NYTimes:

http://tinyurl.com/2yzhno

@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

jeffwarne

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2007, 10:19:21 AM »
Average golfers aren't 10's.

The 10's will shoot 115.
The 18's will shoot 135.

Although celebrities who've played pro-am golf might fare better
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Sam Morrow

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2007, 10:35:06 AM »
This is one of those things that I hope never gets off the ground, I just can't get with the idea of some celeb hacks chopping it around Torrey Pines.

Phil_the_Author

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2007, 10:59:02 AM »
Actually this is not something new. In May of 2002, Roger Maltbie, in preparation for Open coverage, played a round with 3 bethpage regulars of varying skills. I had both the leasure of walking around with them and writing a chapter about it in my book Golf's Finest Hour.

Anyone who'd like to see the chapter can send me a message and I'll email it to them.

Sam Morrow

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2007, 11:00:50 AM »
Actually this is not something new. In May of 2002, Roger Maltbie, in preparation for Open coverage, played a round with 3 bethpage regulars of varying skills. I had both the leasure of walking around with them and writing a chapter about it in my book Golf's Finest Hour.

Anyone who'd like to see the chapter can send me a message and I'll email it to them.

Actually 3 regulars is something that would interest me. I am sick and tired of everytime I turn on golf I am subjected to Kevin James, Ray Romano, and Justin Timberlake. Though that said I did recently read the celebs edition of Golf for Woman with Angie Everhart on the cover.

Matthew Hunt

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2007, 11:11:56 AM »
In the Walker Cup at Royal County which I believe it is rated by USGA as 75 144 the estimated average for the Par 71 of around 73 which would lead for an Average 4-round total of +8 in a very high quality field which shows it is NEARLY ‘US Pen tough’. Compare this with the Club Championship at my club which was in Gail force off the back sticks. The winner shoot 73 and about 2/3 brook 100 with the Average Handicap about 8. So think there will be one or two of the four will break 100. I fact given a couple of days practice I think I (a 23 Handicap) could break it, so if GD want to give me the extra place ;).
« Last Edit: December 09, 2007, 12:13:27 PM by Matthew Hunt »

K. Krahenbuhl

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2007, 11:25:17 AM »
Matthew,

What does "US tough" mean?  RCD can play as difficult as any course stateside in my opinion.  Also, while I'd love to watch you out there at Torrey, I'll take the over.  I do agree with Sam that it would be more fun to watch players like you or me try rather than some 'celebrity'.

jeffwarne

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2007, 11:26:38 AM »
Michael.
If the average players were from Royal County Down or another club where the players were used to dealing with wind and high rough,they'd have a fair chance, but I'd doubt it unless they regularly played the back tees, which I doubt is allowed at RCD.

but 99% aren't used to difficult courses, to say nothing of the "ego" handicap factor.

and add in the 7600 yard course -giving them apmle opportunities to hit a second shot into the schmoo, even if their drive is successful.

"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Sam Morrow

« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2007, 11:47:27 AM »
Matthew,

What does "US tough" mean?  RCD can play as difficult as any course stateside in my opinion.  Also, while I'd love to watch you out there at Torrey, I'll take the over.  I do agree with Sam that it would be more fun to watch players like you or me try rather than some 'celebrity'.

Kyle you are the only celebrity I want to watch play Torrey.

K. Krahenbuhl

« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2007, 11:48:44 AM »
Matthew,

Kyle you are the only celebrity I want to watch play Torrey.

At least the days are long that time of year so I would have a chance of finishing before sunset.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2007, 11:55:34 AM »
Average golfers aren't 10's.

The 10's will shoot 115.
The 18's will shoot 135.

Although celebrities who've played pro-am golf might fare better

As George Pazin would say
"I know Oakmont. I have written about Oakmont. Oakmont is my favorite. And, I can assure you, Torrey Pines is no Oakmont!"
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Norbert P

« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2007, 12:08:11 PM »
This is one of those things that I hope never gets off the ground, I just can't get with the idea of some celeb hacks chopping it around Torrey Pines.

I kinda like the idea and hope they have a variance of handicaps, though 4 players is hardly a large enough segment to have any scientific "experimental" value it would be interesting.  How do I get to play in this thing? And don't say 'Practice', as that rotten banana smell is forever in my bag.

And Torrey Pines is no sacred place to worry about its  disfigurement. Heck, maybe it'd give the place some character.  

"Golf is only meant to be a small part of one’s life, centering around health, relaxation and having fun with friends/family." R"C"M

Matthew Hunt

« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2007, 12:11:06 PM »
Kyle, I Meant 'US Open tough' and if there was USGA set-up on the course the winning score would be about 300. Jeff due to nature of the British handicaps its hard to get an ego handicap.

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2007, 12:11:37 PM »
I think Jeff is right on.

jeffwarne

« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2007, 12:30:51 PM »
Matt,
That's my point.
The US is littered with ego handicaps.
A UK 10 beats a US 10 every time, and KILLS him if his home course is as challenging as RCD

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2007, 12:38:35 PM »
The US is littered with ego handicaps.
A UK 10 beats a US 10 every time, and KILLS him if his home course is as challenging as RCD

Not in all cases.  You take a 10 from Oakmont, Shinnecock, Olympic or Winged Foot (which for the sake of argument are equal to RCD) and then you have a game.  I've hosted many players with low handicaps at my club and they didn't break 80.

W.H. Cosgrove

« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2007, 12:42:12 PM »
This is a celebrity event.  I thought NBC might have the courage to really get some regular joes to play.  

Like two foursomes, one celebrity in each.  A single digit, a 10-15, and a higher.  Play off for a honey pot for charity.  

The way they have it now its just another BS event.  

NOW WHERE DO I ENTER! 8)

jeffwarne

« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2007, 12:47:24 PM »
Joel.
You're right.
That's the fallacy of the handicap syetem.
The really tough course guy usually wins.
Slope and CR aren't great enough equalizers

Ryan Farrow

« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2007, 01:22:31 PM »
I shot a 45 on the back 9 at Oakmont and I'm an 18 handicap when  Not to mention the greens were rolling faster than they were during the open. I think Tiger would loose that bet.

Kyle Harris

« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2007, 01:27:51 PM »
I shot a 45 on the back 9 at Oakmont and I'm an 18 handicap when  Not to mention the greens were rolling faster than they were during the open. I think Tiger would loose that bet.

Open hole locations? Open rough? Come on Ryan...  ;)

jeffwarne

« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2007, 01:38:30 PM »
How about the front Ryan?
Back tees?

Norbert P

« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2007, 01:41:53 PM »

Open hole locations? Open rough?

Back tees?  Did you party the night before with Willy Mackenzie? - (His girlfriend is hotter than a $2 pistol)

Personally, A viewing gallery off of every shot and having a camera on me would give me an aneurism.
"Golf is only meant to be a small part of one’s life, centering around health, relaxation and having fun with friends/family." R"C"M

Jordan Wall

« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2007, 01:43:22 PM »
Ryan,

I think it also helped that you knew the course better than most.  An 'average' 18 handicap has never seen Oakmont.  Being that you were there everyday, I'd say you had a big advantage by knowing and understanding the course.  However, I dont doubt that it is definitely possible for a 10 or even an 18 to break 100 on a course with US Open set up.

And I'd take Dennis Quaid playing at a 2 to not break 100, btw...
« Last Edit: December 09, 2007, 01:43:55 PM by Jordan Wall »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back