News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

James Bennett

Re:O/T Dogs & Golf
« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2007, 07:01:37 AM »
Bob H

I am sure Max remembered that day for a very long time.

Here is a 'fivesome' getting ready to head off from the first tee on the Eden Course at St Andrews earlier this year.  Unfortunately, my club is not as progressive regarding dogs on course.

I think some of the St Andrews' dogs have more fun in Hell bunker on the Sunday (course closed - public park) than the golfers do for the rest of the week.

James B
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

Donal Breasail

« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2007, 07:08:26 AM »
i remember playing the Berkshire about 5 years ago and the general manager was explaining that the members dogs accompany them on the golf course and that he used train them to make sure that they did not interfere with the golf.Basically the hunting dogs would wait until everyone teed off and then go to their owners balls (except on greens of course) the most confusing thing for the dogs was mulligans and provo's!

Dan Kelly

« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2007, 11:41:31 AM »
I don't see any Canada geese in any of these pictures.

Just a coincidence?

(At least a couple of Twin Cities courses, including Rick Shefchik's home course, have resident canines deputized to keep those huge flying crap machines off the premises.)
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

C. Squier

« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2007, 12:51:11 PM »
I'd love to bring my dog on the course, unfortunately, the first tee would be the last time I ever saw him.  He's a cavalier king charles and would be gone in a second.

Interestingly enough, I do have a funny (well, now it is) dog story.  

My freshman year in high school, my team and I qualify for sectionals.  My dad is playing the proud papa and buys me a beautiful bright red Ping carry bag.  Long story short, the course dog decided to christen my new bag.....right on the strap.  I had to wear my windbreaker on a 85* day because it was pretty soaked.  Not fun.

CPS

Adam Clayman

« Reply #29 on: December 07, 2007, 01:04:25 PM »
I love getting my old Supt. News calendar every year?
Wonder if that is now lost because of the going online only decision?

We have two rescues. My Greyhound, Big Dave is the perfect golfing companion. Sadly I don't get him out often enough. Our other dog, Pablo, takes Sandra Bernhardt's notion of adding a goalie to the game to an extreme, so he is not welcome.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Brad Swanson

« Reply #30 on: December 07, 2007, 01:50:12 PM »
One of my best days of golf ever.  My wife, dog, and I had Wild Horse all to ourselves.  It was magical.  She couldn't be trusted to stay off of the greens or out of the native with the snakes, so she had to stay on leash.

Cheers,
Brad
« Last Edit: December 08, 2007, 02:52:39 PM by Brad Swanson »

Joe Hancock

« Reply #31 on: December 07, 2007, 03:54:31 PM »
I don't see any Canada geese in any of these pictures.

Just a coincidence?

(At least a couple of Twin Cities courses, including Rick Shefchik's home course, have resident canines deputized to keep those huge flying crap machines off the premises.)

Crap?.....They are called "Sky Carp"......just a coincidence?
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Pat Brockwell

« Reply #32 on: December 07, 2007, 07:49:14 PM »
At Black Mesa GC our rules require civil behavior, cleaning up after one's messes, keeping up with the pace of play, not inflicting major damage, repairing minor damage, raking bunkers, etc.  The same rules apply to dogs.  So far lots of happy canines, nervous bunnies and no real problems.  Couple of weeks ago one threesome had five dogs.  Most folks start on a leash, but allow for some freedom once away from the clubhouse.  Water is available in a pail at each cooler.  I have seen as many a a dozen dogs in one single day.  Most people think it's cool, some look askance, but they don't howl when they realize that four dogs reside in the pro shop most days.  Most common breeds are JR Terriers, Blue Heelers and Labs.  I have three RottX's that live at the golf/turf production and maintenance shop and run the course most mornings, supervised.  They serve as the cartpath compliance team, very effective.  We've had to ask a few humans to leave, but never a dog.

John Mayhugh

« Reply #33 on: December 07, 2007, 09:48:33 PM »
I wasn't sure what to expect when I posted this topic and I've been gratified with the responses.

Pat B
I've wanted to play Black Mesa for a while and now I know I have to.  I'm in Louisville so it's probably a bit to far to bring my dog but it's the thought that counts. "So far lots of happy canines, nervous bunnies and no real problems."  I love that.

Brad S
Great picture.  I can only imagine what a memorable day that was having your wife & dog with you on a course like that to yourself.

Adam C
Fortunately Lola has no interest in the golf ball.  We did have one off-leash incident where she discovered the joy or running through a bunker over & over.  Just as I got through raking, she'd make another pass.  I left the bunker in better shape than it started, but don't want to repeat the experience.

Clint S
One of my dog's buddies is a Cavalier King Charles.  I can imagine what you're talking about.  Bad luck with the bag strap! How'd you score that day?

Don B
Never would have thought about the mulligan/provisional problem for dogs, but I can see where that would be tough.

James B
Nice pic.  Think they're choosing teams there?

Jason & Jim
I had a beagle when I was a kid.  Mostly an outdoor dog but he loved his inside the house moments.  Talk about a strong-willed breed...

John K
I had never seen Dick Durrance's pic.  Thanks for mentioning it. That looks like one adoring dog.

Bob H
"Dogs are the perfect companions on the links."  I love the friends that I play with, but my dog would definitely help me get over a triple bogey faster than most anyone.  Having the dog along certainly encourages a walking game, doesn't it?

Paul T
Good point about supers.  They have the right idea.

bakerg

« Reply #34 on: December 08, 2007, 07:32:58 AM »
John- Great topic.  Back in September I spent close to two weeks in England playing their great collection of courses.  I have been meaning to do a write up of that trip at some point but I do have a special day to recount now.

The picture in the T&L Article is of a gentleman named Simon with his black lab Leo.  I had the very good fortune to spend a day with Simon and Leo at a very special course.  This was the first round of golf I had ever played accompanied by a dog and it was hilarious.

Now, Leo was a perfect companion.  He would sit on the tee box and not say a word.  As soon as we all had teed off he would dash into the woods and search for lost Pro V1 for his owner.  When he was done with this he would rejoin us before we could hit our second shots.  Now if we were unable to locate our tee shots we would send Leo to the general area where we think it was and he would root it out for us.  

The part that was hilarious was that Simon would reward Leo with two biscuits for the Pro V1's and one biscuit for the other balls.  From time to time Leo would bring a golf ball back that the rabbits had chewed up and spit out.  Leo would think this was the funniest thing when he would drop those balls.  He wouldn't even act like he deserved the biscuit he just kind of knew he was being cute.

As the day progressed Leo would find a cool spot on the green to lay down as we tackled those Colt greens.  He always seemed to avoid laying in line to my amazement.  I think only once on the 15th hole or so did he just plop down in one of our lines.  He was pretty well spent by that point though.  

After our round Leo spent the afternoon napping in the boot of Simon's wagon as we ate lunch.  He had collected 34 golf balls and had kept us from losing a ball the entire day.  He was well rewarded with the leftovers from our lunch.  The only blemish according to his owner was his taking a swim in the pond on the second hole.  

I am returning this Fall to England for a couple of days and play to spend one of them at Royal Ashdown with Simon and Leo.  I will be sure to snap a few pics this time.  

Dan Kelly

« Reply #35 on: December 08, 2007, 08:50:17 AM »
John- Great topic.  Back in September I spent close to two weeks in England playing their great collection of courses.  I have been meaning to do a write up of that trip at some point but I do have a special day to recount now.

The picture in the T&L Article is of a gentleman named Simon with his black lab Leo.  I had the very good fortune to spend a day with Simon and Leo at a very special course.  This was the first round of golf I had ever played accompanied by a dog and it was hilarious.

Now, Leo was a perfect companion.  He would sit on the tee box and not say a word.  As soon as we all had teed off he would dash into the woods and search for lost Pro V1 for his owner.  When he was done with this he would rejoin us before we could hit our second shots.  Now if we were unable to locate our tee shots we would send Leo to the general area where we think it was and he would root it out for us.  

The part that was hilarious was that Simon would reward Leo with two biscuits for the Pro V1's and one biscuit for the other balls.  From time to time Leo would bring a golf ball back that the rabbits had chewed up and spit out.  Leo would think this was the funniest thing when he would drop those balls.  He wouldn't even act like he deserved the biscuit he just kind of knew he was being cute.

As the day progressed Leo would find a cool spot on the green to lay down as we tackled those Colt greens.  He always seemed to avoid laying in line to my amazement.  I think only once on the 15th hole or so did he just plop down in one of our lines.  He was pretty well spent by that point though.  

After our round Leo spent the afternoon napping in the boot of Simon's wagon as we ate lunch.  He had collected 34 golf balls and had kept us from losing a ball the entire day.  He was well rewarded with the leftovers from our lunch.  The only blemish according to his owner was his taking a swim in the pond on the second hole.  

I am returning this Fall to England for a couple of days and play to spend one of them at Royal Ashdown with Simon and Leo.  I will be sure to snap a few pics this time.  

Gary --

Did Leo stay the heck out of the bunkers? (Emoticon omitted.)

Great little story. Thanks.

Dan
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Tom_Doak

« Reply #36 on: December 08, 2007, 09:08:35 AM »
As some here know, I've taken our Samoyed, Barkley, out on the golf course occasionally from the time we got him.  He will sometimes bark when I'm swinging but not at anyone else, and he does a good job of not walking through bunkers or onto the greens.  

But, he is a CART DOG.  The third time I took him out was the first time there were other players in carts out there, too, and when he spied one he took off running and hopped up in the seat with two very surprised golfers.  He'll chase them everywhere because he loves to go for a ride.  So, I can only take him out walking a course in the spring and fall when there's nobody around.  If I'm taking him in-season, I have to get a cart [so I seldom do] -- but if I do, he will stay in the cart 95% of the round.

Mark_Fine

« Reply #37 on: December 08, 2007, 09:23:31 AM »
I was a single one day playing Cruden Bay and caught up to a two ball.  The one gentleman had his dog hitched to his trolley.  He was actually playing in club match at the time.  I asked him if his dog helped him read putts  ;)  

John Mayhugh

« Reply #38 on: December 08, 2007, 10:30:52 AM »
Gary
Great story!  I need to find a way to play with Simon & Leo myself.

Tom
One late afternoon this summer I did try taking a cart with my dog but she was scared to ride in it. Strange because she LOVES riding in the car.  But she happily chased along for about 7 holes in 45 minutes.  After that, she rode for a while because she got too tired to run.  I'd love to see what a Samoyed looks like riding in a cart.

bakerg

« Reply #39 on: December 09, 2007, 02:10:47 AM »
Dan- Leo never went near a bunker.  And, come to think of it if we were at Royal Ashdown that couldn't happen...

Mike Benham

« Reply #40 on: December 14, 2007, 06:56:52 PM »
Here is a photo of a young lady that is learning to differentiate between ProV1's and Top Flites ...

"... and I liked the guy ..."

James Bennett

« Reply #41 on: December 14, 2007, 07:12:50 PM »
Merry Xmas, from santa's little helper.

Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

Mike Benham

« Reply #42 on: December 14, 2007, 08:19:37 PM »
Sorry James, I couldn't resist ... ;)

"... and I liked the guy ..."

Ron Farris

« Reply #43 on: December 14, 2007, 10:55:28 PM »

What a great day for our new addition to the family.  My son and I had a 10 hour ride home from Nebraska and stopped to pee in the bushes on a nine-hole course in the absolute middle of nowhere.  It was a course that I helped change the sand greens to grass, nothing more, just sand to grass.  

I have never been a dog lover, having watched a huge dog take a hunk out of my brother's leg at an early age, but the expensive little puppy has warmed my heart on many occasions.

James Bennett

« Reply #44 on: December 15, 2007, 01:33:31 AM »
Sorry James, I couldn't resist ... ;)

Mike (Bob)

the lab looks well loved.

My wife thinks our 'Shadow' is just wonderful.  Unfortunately, I don't have as much 'coat' as I had 30 years ago.  I think a Chinese Crested has more hair than I do.

Oh, and this was one of my wife's photos - no credit to me here.

James B
« Last Edit: December 15, 2007, 01:34:31 AM by James Bennett »

Richard Boult

Re: O/T Dogs & Golf
« Reply #45 on: April 03, 2008, 09:53:21 AM »
After all this time, I just read the text on this site's home page. It included this sentence below regarding dogs:

The courses included are ones... they are inspiring to play, be it by yourself, with your dog, family or friends.

Seeing dogs on the course is pretty rare here in CA, but since 1 of my 2 dogs (down from 4) would love to join me, I did a search for dog (got too many posts about doglegs), then dogs (and found this one) to see where this is permitted.

I've only seen a dog on the course once. During a practice round at Monarch Dunes for a Cal Players Tour event, a golfer was walking the course while his girlfriend tagged along with their dog on a leash.  About a half hour after seeing the happy dog, I was back in the pro shop when the phone rang. One of the residents on the course wall calling to complain about the dog. Happily, the guy in the pro shop blew her off and let the couple finish their round undisturbed ;).

John Burzynski

« Reply #46 on: April 03, 2008, 10:40:06 AM »
I would love to take my dog onto the course with me...leashed of course, and clean up after the dog of course.  Nut with all of the lawsuits and such in the US, I can't see too many courses allowing dogs; just one dog bite would no doubt result in a high dollar lawsuit to both the dog owner, the course, and anyone else who could be named in a suit.

Whoever said earlier in this postings that we don't do quaint in the US is exactly right, we are a bit pretentious, especially on the course.   And lawsuit happy in general.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #47 on: April 03, 2008, 10:45:52 AM »
I don't like anything that walks on four legs, jumps on me and buries its nose in my crotch.  Maybe American dogs misbehave disproportionately.

TEPaul

« Reply #48 on: April 03, 2008, 10:52:31 AM »
This subject of dogs on courses gives me the opportunity to tell a great Newport GC story.

Dogs have always been part of the regular daily activity of golf at Newport GC. However, apparently after Mrs Vanderbilt died and the largess from her to the club dried up, despite the wealth of other old members who did not feel like covering the shortfall caused by her death, the club decided it was necessary to bring in some local members even knowing they probably did not understand the old ethos of the club in this way.

So, one day one of the new members confronted Mr Mucky-Muck on the course as he was playing golf surrounded by his pack of corgis. This new member demanded rather vociferously that dogs on a golf course was not appropriate and that the pack of corgis should be removed at once.

Mr. Mucky-Muck simply looked at this new interloper member and said:

"What dogs, I don't see any dogs!"

John Mayhugh

« Reply #49 on: April 03, 2008, 11:50:59 AM »
I don't like anything that walks on four legs, jumps on me and buries its nose in my crotch.  Maybe American dogs misbehave disproportionately.
John,
My dog is far more inclined towards leg humping than crotch sniffing for what it's worth.  In her few trips on the golf course, there were definitely more interesting things to her than the golfers.

TEPaul,
Great Newport story.  Makes me like & want to see the place even more.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back