News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Mayhugh

O/T Dogs & Golf
« on: December 06, 2007, 12:32:36 PM »
Sometime this summer, there was an article in T&L Golf about Royal Ashdown Forest.  It started with an amusing story of a visiting German foursome being convinced they were required to take a dog along with their group.  Here's a link to the article.
http://www.travelandleisure.com/tlgolf/articles/golf-an-enchanted-place/

I know it's far more common for golfers in the UK to sometimes take their dogs along with them.  As the normal golf season ends, sometimes I'll take my dog with me to play when no one else is interested.  I have a membership at a small country club where no one objects to this.  It's not that unusual to see dogs that live adjacent to the course wandering around sometimes anyway.

Before too much etiquette criticism comes my way, my dog is generally on a leash, doesn't bark at anyone, and isn't permitted on greens or in bunkers.  I also only take her when there are very few other people laying and pick up after her as needed.  

Does anyone else ever take their dog to play?  Would you want to?

Dan Kelly

Re:O/T Dogs & Golf
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2007, 12:37:14 PM »
This lady does:

"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Phil Benedict

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2007, 12:37:46 PM »
I have two standard poodles.  It would be great exercise for them to walk a round of golf with me but they are uncontrollable!

This is something that would be hard to do in the US.  We don't do quaint.

Dale_McCallon

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2007, 12:54:07 PM »
Paging Brad Swanson!!

I know he used to post some photos of his friendly canine companion at Wildhorse.  Looks like fun, but no way could my dog handle all the fun.

John,

Is that Elizabethtown CC?  I can't believe you passed on a round at Pine Valley to play there. ;D

John Mayhugh

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2007, 12:58:04 PM »
Paging Brad Swanson!!

I know he used to post some photos of his friendly canine companion at Wildhorse.  Looks like fun, but no way could my dog handle all the fun.

John,

Is that Elizabethtown CC?  I can't believe you passed on a round at Pine Valley to play there. ;D

Elizabethtown CC.  And if I posted some pics of THAT Pine Valley (the one in KY), you would understand why I passed on it.

John Keenan

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2007, 01:05:42 PM »
John

First you have a great dog what breed is that?

Second I think having dogs on the golf course is a good idea but lack of common sense by some would I fear quickly end it for all.  Our area has a commons green belt area and the HOA ask that owners clean up after their dogs. In addition they supply Poop Mitts to do so. I am sad to say that many owners fail to follow this basic rule. In addition they ask that you keep your dog on a leash once again compliance is far from good

Sadly many dog owners lack the common sense and courtesy that would be required to allow dogs on the course.

John
The things a man has heard and seen are threads of life, and if he pulls them carefully from the confused distaff of memory, any who will can weave them into whatever garments of belief please them best.

Jason Topp

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2007, 01:57:14 PM »
I've only done it once with my Beagle at a rural Iowa course.  The superintendent loved it because the dog ate rabbits.  The dog loved it and so did I.

John Mayhugh

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2007, 02:04:54 PM »
John

First you have a great dog what breed is that?

Second I think having dogs on the golf course is a good idea but lack of common sense by some would I fear quickly end it for all.  Our area has a commons green belt area and the HOA ask that owners clean up after their dogs. In addition they supply Poop Mitts to do so. I am sad to say that many owners fail to follow this basic rule. In addition they ask that you keep your dog on a leash once again compliance is far from good

Sadly many dog owners lack the common sense and courtesy that would be required to allow dogs on the course.

John
Thanks for the dog compliment.  She's a stray that a friend's kid picked up off the street and I adopted.  Regarding breed, I'm pretty sure that neither of her grandparents were all that discriminating. :)  I did actually submit a sample for  breed DNA test (not that expensive), but none of her predominant breeds were covered in the test.

Unfortunately dogs on the course are like many forms of golf etiquette....common sense isn't as common as it should be.

Mark Smolens

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2007, 02:12:14 PM »
Just as I believe that there are any number of people who should not be permitted on a golf course, the same must also be said of our canine friends.  After all, wasn't it that great American Radar O'Reilly who said, "dogs are people too?" ;)

SPDB

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2007, 02:17:34 PM »
My first real view of TOC from the Jigger Inn immediately illustrated the charms of TOC:

tlavin

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2007, 02:41:35 PM »
Break the owner's clubs; get a proper home for the dog.

John Mayhugh

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2007, 03:12:24 PM »
Break the owner's clubs; get a proper home for the dog.
Are you referring to my clubs and dog?  If so, your suggestion doesn't seem too civil.  I've been tempted to break my clubs on many occasions, but the choice of doing so should be up to me.  Regarding the dog, I think she's pretty content with the home she has.

SPDB: great pic of TOC

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2007, 05:13:29 PM »
A couple of yeas ago I played with a gent at The Berkshire who had two dogs, both off leash.  He told me that he wrote  a tongue in cheek. letter to the club secretary and asked that members who do not have dogs should be expelled.

I belong to a little resort in the VA mountains and in the winter I would take my Golden and play.  She would not go in a bunker or on the green, but she sure did frequent the creek and ponds.  And periodically chase one of the geese until it cried uncle.  She caught one once.  The look of surprise on her face said, "now what do I do?"  Then she let it go.

Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Pete Lavallee

« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2007, 05:26:12 PM »
John,

Although some might find the story of the dog and Germans at Royal Ashdown Forest funny, it is a lot closer to the truth than one might imagine. At the private clubs of England it is all too common to find golfers accompanied by their cannine companions. At our round at RAF the only other golfers we encountered all afternoon were a member couple and their 2 black Labs. They were headed in early as it was way too hot for a round of golf, 78*F; their dogs were off leash and very well behaved.

At West Sussex in Pulbourough, all the drinking fountains all drain to a tiny dish at the bottom so the dogs can have a drink too. We saw several dogs of leash there in our one trip around.

At St. Enodoc we saw the only dog on leash, tethered to the owners trolley; don't know if this was mandatory there.
"...one inoculated with the virus must swing a golf-club or perish."  Robert Hunter

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2007, 05:31:35 PM »
Dog Lovers:
Just please, PLEASE clean up their doings at the point of expungement.
Did I ever mention my first ever visit to Muirfield?
The smell and sensation of dog shazbot squished amongst footjoy soft-spikes is not the abiding memory one should have of one's first ever visit to a classic course.

best,
(I desperately want a Weimaraner) ;),
FBD.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2007, 05:55:36 PM »
My Dogs favourite course is Brancaster.  Most of the classic clubs over here only allow member’s dogs, but I asked the day before playing. They said “We love dogs” and the invitation was extended.  We had the course to ourselves and he was off off and away.  I’m sure if he keeps a diary that’s marked as one of his special days.  He was great company thorough 36 holes.
http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forums2/index.php?board=1;action=display;threadid=28076;start=msg538751#msg538751
Let's make GCA grate again!

Jim Sweeney

« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2007, 06:03:04 PM »
Jason:

How do you keep control of a beagle on the golf course? Mine tries to take off every time a new and seductive scent (of course, all scents are seductive to a beagle) wafts by on a zephyr...

I've informed my better half that our next "Fido" will be a border collie or something else in the working class that will be more trainable and suitable for taking to the course. Now I just need to convince my home course.
"Hope and fear, hope and Fear, that's what people see when they play golf. Not me. I only see happiness."

" Two things I beleive in: good shoes and a good car. Alligator shoes and a Cadillac."

Moe Norman

Kyle Harris

« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2007, 06:07:49 PM »
Lindsey Baker, an infrequent poster and former assistant super at Huntingdon Valley, is raising a golden retriever on the golf course. I used to love taking her with me (when I was allowed) while doing course set up.

John Mayhugh

« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2007, 09:49:08 PM »
Dog Lovers:
Just please, PLEASE clean up their doings at the point of expungement.

I agree 100%.  People that don't clean up after their dogs give all their fellow owners a bad name.

I'm also reminded of a Jerry Seinfield routine where he describes people picking up after their dogs: "If aliens are watching this through telescopes, they're going to think the dogs are the leaders.  If you see two life forms, one of them is making a poop, the other one's carrying it for him, who would you assume is in charge?"

John Mayhugh

« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2007, 09:50:48 PM »
I’m sure if he keeps a diary that’s marked as one of his special days.  He was great company thorough 36 holes.

Never thought of it this way before!  Your comment made my day.

John Mayhugh

« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2007, 09:53:04 PM »
John,

Although some might find the story of the dog and Germans at Royal Ashdown Forest funny, it is a lot closer to the truth than one might imagine. At the private clubs of England it is all too common to find golfers accompanied by their cannine companions. At our round at RAF the only other golfers we encountered all afternoon were a member couple and their 2 black Labs. They were headed in early as it was way too hot for a round of golf, 78*F; their dogs were off leash and very well behaved.

At West Sussex in Pulbourough, all the drinking fountains all drain to a tiny dish at the bottom so the dogs can have a drink too. We saw several dogs of leash there in our one trip around.

At St. Enodoc we saw the only dog on leash, tethered to the owners trolley; don't know if this was mandatory there.

I'd love to take my dog on a golf trip overseas, but unless someone loans me their G-V that's probably not ever gonna happen.

Thanks to everyone for their posts.

PThomas

« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2007, 09:58:57 PM »
i think i remember an article about the great amateur Bill Campbell in which he said he took his dog out at his club

i've seen numerous supers on the course with their dogs tagging along

I 've always wished to be a member of a club that would allow me to take my dog out there with me...unfortuantely, if that were the case with  my current dog, a labrador named Junie B, i'd probabbly spend more time chasing her than the ball :-\ >:( ::)

and when I played Ekwanok the two women in the group
behind me shared their golf cart with their little pooch
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2007, 11:22:45 PM »
Many years ago, when a resident at Inverlochie Castle, I played  nine holes at Spaen Bridge, the local golf course. It was early evening and my wife and I were playing a hit and giggle and we came across a father and son with their two West Highland terriers. The scene was almost like something from Brigadoon, two men in harmony with their animals on a golf course in the sanctuary of a wondrous setting and complete solitude.

If this wasn't heaven then I wanted nothing else..

Dogs are the perfect companion on the links.

However, when I took my beloved Max, all 115lbs of him, a Lab/Swiss Mountain dog, out on the Shore course at MPCC his interest in the local deer population caused me to receive a reprimand from the powers that be. I retreated in shame.

Bob

Bob

John Kirk

« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2007, 11:50:13 PM »
I was honored to play a round of golf last year with Jim Kidd and his longtime companion Gus, who I would guess was a golden Labrador retriever.  Gus kept up and was very polite to all the players.  He never stood in anyone's putting line, and though he tolerated my occasional attempts to befriend him, he never once acknowledged my presence.  Just another golfer in a charmed dog's life.  He adored his master.

Sadly, Gus died rather tragically this year.  He will forever be remembered as the photogenic companion in Dick Durrance's famous photo at the Sand Hills Golf Club.

Jason Topp

« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2007, 01:13:29 AM »
Jason:

How do you keep control of a beagle on the golf course? Mine tries to take off every time a new and seductive scent (of course, all scents are seductive to a beagle) wafts by on a zephyr...

I can't keep control of my beagle anywhere.  For some reason I find them charmingly evil.  This is my 2nd.

No one else was on the golf course.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back