News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bill Brightly

Re:A superb Short
« Reply #50 on: December 05, 2007, 03:55:35 PM »
"there are sites for golf courses were the Flynn method would yield an inferior result to the Raynor method. "

Kyle,

OK, maybe it wasn't an "anti-Flynn" post...but I guarantee that line made Wayne jump out of his chair!
« Last Edit: December 05, 2007, 03:57:40 PM by Bill Brightly »

Kyle Harris

« Reply #51 on: December 05, 2007, 04:01:10 PM »
"there are sites for golf courses were the Flynn method would yield an inferior result to the Raynor method. "

Kyle,

OK, maybe it wasn't an "anti-Flynn" post...but I guarantee that line made Wayne jump out of his chair!

Some would call it being open minded and realizing that Flynn and Raynor were both... human.

wsmorrison

« Reply #52 on: December 05, 2007, 04:16:02 PM »
Kyle,

I didn't say that your post was anti-Flynn.  It was anti-intelligent.

If you saw the plans for Boca Raton South (which you may have, though I do not recall)  then your statement about Raynor routing and designing for a flat site in contrast to Flynn is even less impressive.  Please explain how the Flynn method (whatever that is) does not work on a flat site.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2007, 04:28:00 PM by Wayne Morrison »

Kyle Harris

« Reply #53 on: December 05, 2007, 04:48:49 PM »
Wayne,

You of course realize I could very well mean that Flynn's method yeilded "very good" and that Raynor's method yeilded "excellent" right? I purposely left out any sort of qualitative measures for that very reason. We're discussing the best of the best here.

I recall the plans for Boca Raton South had many bunkers, moreso than is typical for Flynn. Raynor's flat site golf courses use far less bunkers, but still call for similar strategic choices. So in one term (ease of maintenance) the engineered look gets similar results with far less. The flat site Flynn's I've A: seen pictures of  or B: seen plans for (Cleveland Heights, Indian Creek, Boca Raton South) use a large amount of bunkering compared to his work in and around Philadelphia. I also realize that Shinnecock was very heavily bunkered at one point. If this is wrong, please tell me and cite other examples.

Also, if a site is flat, than a flat bottomed bunker would be well integrated with the surrounds, no? ;-)

Now, as to the quality of BRS, we cannot tell as it is NLE, no? I also have no idea as to the terrain that was on Boca Raton South's site - did it lend itself to such design?

Please Wayne, let Flynn's work speak for itself. You sound foolish trying to denounce my side by using logical fallacies like appeals to authority and strawman arguments. We all know you're the Flynn guy here and that you've spent far more time than anyone ever probably will on the subject. Use that knowledge, not the fact that you've acquired it. I'm trying to get ideas out of you and pick your brain. I said I believe that Raynor's method on flat sites would be better than Flynn's and you attack me instead of actually considering why or why not - you're above that. If you don't have the time, give me a figure and I'll send you a check for your manuscript. ;-)

Bill,

I love William Flynn, I have a man crush on him.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #54 on: December 05, 2007, 04:53:06 PM »

As for the green at Lookout Mtn, I never said it should be built on grade.  I said it could be lower profiled and closer to grade.  Not on grade.  That's a big difference you missed because of your mindset.  You make me not want to discuss this any further.  Your conclusions based on this error are thus incorrect.

Wayne, anything built above grade would be artificial.
That specific site requires a substantially elevated foot pad to produce visibility.   Surely you see that.
[/color]

Honestly, Pat, do you really think the Short hole is so unique to golf in terms of interest of periphery pins and central pins?

Yes.
I think it presents a clear and specific examination of the players skills, including his mind, short irons, recovery clubs and putter.

You are wrong.  It is not unique in terms of offering interesting periphery and central pins.  Plenty of other greens do as well.  

Name 5, and please don't cite the 11th at SH, which is a small target from 157 yards.

Name SHORT holes that offer what you state.

The donut and/or horseshoe combined with the steep fall offs presents a unique challenge, on the approach, recovery and putts.
[/color]

You didn't answer my question.  

What was the question ?
[/color]

As far as being a clear and specific examination.  I will give you that but it is too clear and too specific resulting in a fun and challenging hole that has been seen and done elsewhere.  There is nothing unique about a template, by definition.  Sorry.

I don't agree with that.

The short at Westhampton differs dramatically from the Short at Yale, The Knoll or NGLA.  There's a "site specificity" about the Short that makes it unique.
[/color]

They built a lot of terrific short holes.

The 7th on the 4th nine at Montclair.
The 11th at Westhampton.
The 5th at Yale
The 6th at The Knoll

That is partly my point, Pat, except for the terrific part.  Who needs a lot of the same artificial holes?  

They are NOT the same.
While they have the same general concept, they're site specific in their presentation.
Some have horseshoes, some have bowls, some have ridges, some are flat (?)

The Short at LM sits on a site unlike most other Shorts.
[/color]

They are not terrific to me.  You think they are and I am very happy that you do.

I love them, I think they're sporty, fun and challenging.
What could be bad about that.

As to having seen the hole before, how do you reconcile playing Merion every day ? ;D

Is it less interesting, less challenging because you played it yesterday, or the day or week before ?  I think not.

And, so it is with CBM-SR-CB courses and holes.

They retain their charm, allure, challenge, sport and fun through the ages.
[/color]

john_stiles

« Reply #55 on: December 05, 2007, 06:08:35 PM »
To the question of flat terrain being better for Raynor,   it would seem that Raynor's best chance at lessening the engineered look for the templates was the course with rolling terrain.

The greens sites could be at the top of crests or placed on the up or downward slope and tied back for a somewhat natural ‘approach'.  

This is as opposed to a higher 'more artificial' mound for a par 3 greensite at a flat location, which was also sometimes done.   The 11th at CC of Charleston strikes me as a hole where you immediately see the engineered fill work.

As many have mentioned, you often do not see the engineering effort as you approach a hole, but you look backwards at the next tee, or look across the course and then you really see the work.

Based on my limited experiences,  I could not agree more with the Mucci's last green sentence that  CBM-SR-CB courses  "retain their charm, allure, challenge, sport and fun through the ages."

Maybe a tee on a rock, on a rocky site, wasn't so much a shock to the original members.     You drive up the rocky cut in the side of the mountain,  pass  Ruby Falls, Rock City, Fairyland Club stuck on the rocky outcrop,  go past Red Hooding Lane,  Cinderella,  down Nymph Road  to a club originally named Fairyland Golf Club which probably had as a member Garnett Carter who started Tom Thumb miniature golf courses.  

Then again, maybe it was a play on the locale or maybe the members added the tee.

wsmorrison

« Reply #56 on: December 05, 2007, 07:37:38 PM »
You of course realize I could very well mean that Flynn's method yeilded "very good" and that Raynor's method yeilded "excellent" right? I purposely left out any sort of qualitative measures for that very reason. We're discussing the best of the best here.

You make a sweeping statement without any support.  I question you and you think the basis of that question is my regard for Flynn rather than the weakness in your argument, which you never support.  Why don't you explain your statement and not look to a false predisposition on my part to shelter your lack of ability to support your premise?

I recall the plans for Boca Raton South had many bunkers, moreso than is typical for Flynn. Raynor's flat site golf courses use far less bunkers, but still call for similar strategic choices. So in one term (ease of maintenance) the engineered look gets similar results with far less. The flat site Flynn's I've A: seen pictures of  or B: seen plans for (Cleveland Heights, Indian Creek, Boca Raton South) use a large amount of bunkering compared to his work in and around Philadelphia. I also realize that Shinnecock was very heavily bunkered at one point. If this is wrong, please tell me and cite other examples.

What makes you think that Indian Creek is flat?  How flat is Cleveland Heights?  While some of it is level, there is more than 50' of elevation change.  Is that flat?

Also, if a site is flat, than a flat bottomed bunker would be well integrated with the surrounds, no? ;-)

That statement demonstrates your lack of understanding of what you would call Flynn's method.  At Shinnecock, Boca Raton South, Indian Creek and elsewhere, these were not flat bunkers but undulating sandy waste areas and contoured discreet bunkers.  Honestly, facts don't have to come into play in these discussions, but they ought to.  I am less perturbed by your regard for Raynor than I am your disregard for facts.

Now, as to the quality of BRS, we cannot tell as it is NLE, no? I also have no idea as to the terrain that was on Boca Raton South's site - did it lend itself to such design?

Wrong.  I do have an accurate understanding of what the terrain was like at Boca Raton South.  From having walked the property, studying oblique photographs and knowing what I'm looking at when considering the drawings and archival materials relating to the course.  You ask Ron Forse if he couldn't tell the quality of the design by merely looking at the drawings.  His analysis is insightful and the product of a deep understanding.

Please Wayne, let Flynn's work speak for itself. You sound foolish trying to denounce my side by using logical fallacies like appeals to authority and strawman arguments. We all know you're the Flynn guy here and that you've spent far more time than anyone ever probably will on the subject. Use that knowledge, not the fact that you've acquired it. I'm trying to get ideas out of you and pick your brain. I said I believe that Raynor's method on flat sites would be better than Flynn's and you attack me instead of actually considering why or why not - you're above that. If you don't have the time, give me a figure and I'll send you a check for your manuscript. ;-)

I let Flynn speak for himself unless his work is misunderstood and therefore misrepresented.  But I may just reconsider that position since it doesn't encourage debate when the retort is that I am biased.

If you are trying to get ideas, then I think you should guard against drawing conclusions such as you make without doing so in an informed manner.

Kyle Harris

« Reply #57 on: December 05, 2007, 08:00:34 PM »
Wayne,

Indian Creek is on an island in the middle of the intercoastal. I can't imagine it being very hilly.

As for CH - If that's 50 feet, it's on a broad slope over 130 acres. It's a flat site and the major elevation change is around the clubhouse and about 15-25 feet in change. So you got half of your elevation on a quarter hill and the rest over the rest of the property. I've been there numerous times, have you?

I wasn't talking about Flynn with flat bottomed bunkers, I was talking about your generalization of Raynor's bunkers. YOU SHOULD KNOW THIS I RAKED FLYNN BUNKERS FOR A SUMMER AND HAVE COMMENTED AND LAUDED HIS USE OF GRADING IN THEM.

As for BRS - I said you have no idea what the course was like, unless you lived then. I did ask you about the terrain as I don't know, and I stated that. You then use another appeal to authority. Ron Forse, you, or I are not he be all end all of determining the value of an NLE. If you do know, then answer... did Flynn's design lend itself to terrain and if so, why?

You're not letting Flynn's work speak, you're letting Ron Forse speak for it. I HAVEN'T DRAWN A CONCLUSION, I said "I believe." I want to know why I'm wrong, not that I'm an idiot for thinking so.

I believe the templates and Raynor's engineering is better suited to a flat site because the templates are tried and true strategies that can literally be built from the ground up. A more creatively independent method may or may not yeild a course of similar quality.

wsmorrison

« Reply #58 on: December 05, 2007, 08:52:58 PM »
Listen, Kyle.  You believe utter nonsense that the 9th green at Huntingdon Valley CC is more man-made looking than the Short Hole at Lookout Mountain.  It is hard to have any worthwhile conversation with your baseline of understanding.

Indian Creek is on a man-made island but it was built up to 35' above sea level at its highest point.  It is the highest point of ground in the county.  You may not imagine it being very hilly, but you categorized it as flat.  It is far from flat.

As far as Cleveland Heights (strange name for a flat piece of ground), you know I have never been there.  However, I can read a topographic map and, as an Eagle Scout, I know that you know how to as well.  Take a look at one for the course.

I believe the templates and Raynor's engineering is better suited to a flat site because the templates are tried and true strategies that can literally be built from the ground up. A more creatively independent method may or may not yeild a course of similar quality.

Uh, yeah.... ::)
« Last Edit: December 05, 2007, 08:54:13 PM by Wayne Morrison »

Kyle Harris

« Reply #59 on: December 05, 2007, 10:00:01 PM »
Wayne,

Do you have anything to offer other than "uh yeah?"

Cleveland Heights topo:

http://terraserver.microsoft.com/image.aspx?T=2&S=12&Z=17&X=509&Y=3872&W=1&qs=%7cLakeland%7cFL%7c

A grand total of 50 feet of elevation change over the distance of ONE KILOMETER... that's a 1.5% grade and the terrain is hardly rolling, it's just one 25 foot drop from the clubhouse and then a broad slope down to the lakes.

Here's your major elevation change, by the way, and I took this from the 2nd floor porch of the clubhouse looking west down the first hole.

Here's Indian Creek, which I think speaks for itself...

http://terraserver.microsoft.com/image.aspx?T=2&S=12&Z=17&X=733&Y=3577&W=1&qs=%7cIndian+Creek%7cFL%7c

Both are 5 foot contour interval, so anything less than a 5 foot elevation change wouldn't show up.

The 9th green at Huntingdon Valley is cut into a hillside and has a tier in it... It's not nearly as sharp as some of the Raynor work out there, but it's hardly natural looking and based on what I can see in the picture of the short no less man-made looking.

JESII

« Reply #60 on: December 05, 2007, 10:03:58 PM »

The 9th green at Huntingdon Valley is cut into a hillside and has a tier in it... It's not nearly as sharp as some of the Raynor work out there, but it's hardly natural looking and based on what I can see in the picture of the short no less man-made looking.

Something like being more or less pregnant than someone...put them all in the same bucket than...everyone!

Kyle Harris

« Reply #61 on: December 05, 2007, 10:11:38 PM »
Jim,

You're 100% correct.

john_stiles

« Reply #62 on: December 06, 2007, 08:26:10 AM »
If you are an engineer, and you want the engineered look, and you need a lot of fill,   it would be best if you get your materially locally.   So a rolling terrain would allow you some places to take your cuts.  Don't believe bunker work would provide as much 'engineering fill' as Raynor often used.

That would be best unless you had a very high budget, which Raynor apparently had on more than one occasion.

Maybe  CC of Charleston was Raynor's best site ?  CCC might be 5 feet, and it could be 2 feet.

I think the templates really stand out best on rolling terrain.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2007, 08:26:57 AM by john_stiles »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back