News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Adam Clayman

Modernizing Facilities- Sunningdale CC
« on: November 17, 2007, 12:13:40 AM »
Those unfamiliar with Suningdale CC in Westchester Co. NY will be shocked to learn it was once a Seth Raynor design.
Sadly there's little if any Seth left. Probably no Travis or Tillie either.

However, there is some new Mike DeVries.

Yes. Mike and Grampa Joe have lovingly lent their talents to one small section of the varied, well above average, property.

If anyone has any pictures, or, more detailed information please share?

« Last Edit: November 17, 2007, 12:15:35 AM by Adam Clayman »
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Robert Mercer Deruntz

Re:Modernizing Facilities- Sunningdale CC
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2007, 02:39:11 AM »
Mike DeVries is a significant upgrade from the butchering that Stephen Kay rendered to the course.  My buddy who is a member vociferously complained about Kay's shoddy work.  Enough members agreed to improving the situation.  They have already cut down a significant number of trees.

Steve_ Shaffer

"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Joe Hancock

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2007, 01:21:30 PM »
Adam, and Steve,

I've asked Mike to come in and give a little overview of what has been done and what work may be coming up. Adam is right in the assessment of the land...it's very good and a decent routing to utilize it, although some of that may change to accommodate other club functions and infrastructure.

I've also asked Mike to get me a couple before and after photo's, and I will post them once I have received them. It likely won't be today as he is in Ann Arbor, wife his lovely wife, taking a football game of some significance..... :P

While perhaps not a world changing opportunity, it is a very good golf course with the opportunity to be even better.

Joe
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Mike_DeVries

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2007, 11:55:30 AM »
Adam,

Thanks for the nice words.  I have sent some pictures to Joe to post, although I don't have complete "after" photos from the approach on the holes yet.  Superintendent Sean Cain will be sending me some of those next week and we will get those up.

We worked in one corner of the property: holes 11, 12, 13T's, 14G, and 15T's.  

The 12th green had to be completely rebuilt, as there is a city storm drain under the green that had to be replaced.  We uncovered a good portion of a beautiful stone wall that had been buried on the property line behind the green and enlarged the green considerably, setting it at a diagonal, with bunkers front right and back left, allowing for a run-up shot at the left front, although that is a tricky shot on this drop-shot (60') par 3 where the approach is a narrow crown to optimize drainage away from the green.  The green surface has considerably more movement than the flat circle that it replaced, but the slopes are not outrageously wild, just good movement and a variety of shots and putts to move the ball around the green.

The 13th tees were rebuilt, adding about 20-25 yards to the back tee, while the regular tee is the same and the forward options are reduced by about 30-45 yards.  This long par 4 will be demanding for the back tee player to hit a good enough drive to get over the large ridge formation in the fairway landing area, thus demanding a long approach into the green if not hit far enough or precisely enough.  A very good and challenging hole.

The green complexes at 11 and 14 were redone, with the greens expanded on their perimeter and the bunkers redone in a more traditional style, emphasized by a heavy, rolled-over lip.  The variety of flagstick locations and recovery options from tight turf, rough, or bunkers is now greatly expanded and more diverse for the members.  In addition, the approach bunker at 14 (30+ yards short of the green) and the fairway contours and bunkers on 11 (4 reduced to 1 central bunker) were redone.

The work was done in-house with Sean and his crew, along with Joe and I on equipment, and I want to congratulate them on their fine work and a job well done.  Thanks for all the hard work!

The membership response has been very positive and we anticipate doing more projects next year.  Hope everyone gets a chance to check it out before the snow or when it re-opens in the spring.

Best,
Mike

Adam Clayman

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2007, 12:32:51 PM »
Mike, Thanks for the details and Happy Thanksgiving.

Hopefully you'll be able to re-work other corners of the property, but hopefully not in late July 08'. You have been forewarned. I'm heading your way.

I'm sure I mis-spoke earlier in the thread when I said there's nothing left of the ODG's. Re-calling some of the subtle and not so subtle fairway features, like that ridge on 13, are likely original to the course. Any thoughts(evidence) on how much of the original archtects work is left?
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Mike_DeVries

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2007, 10:53:34 AM »
I'm sure I mis-spoke earlier in the thread when I said there's nothing left of the ODG's. Re-calling some of the subtle and not so subtle fairway features, like that ridge on 13, are likely original to the course. Any thoughts(evidence) on how much of the original archtects work is left?

Adam,
Yes, most of the major land features (over rock, so hard and expensive for someone to have removed it over the years, thankfully!) are still intact, but not much of the original detailing is left, as the bunkers have been reworked and the greens have been altered, either by one of the ODG's and then someone else or just let go to lose their exterior portions.  What is not jumping out at you is a "definitive" Raynor, Travis, or Tillinghast look to the golf course, so I am trying to bring back good, solid, traditional features that would be representative of that era, but not necessarily one of the designers exclusively.

Of course, there is good contour in some greens but much of it is flat and uneventful, not what you would expect from the lineage.  So, in the case of the work this fall, we took one of, if not the, best greens (14) and expanded the perimeter to tie in better to the surrounds and provide some tucked pins behind the bunkers or where a fall-off exists.  On 11, we went back to a subtle "Knoll-like" concept for the green, leaving half of the surface and expanded the back and front, thus increasing the size considerably but also bringing the edges into play that are a bit more treacherous.  On 12, we took a small, flat circle and created a diagonal target with contour and options.  In reality, 3 different approaches but all solutions that increase the enjoyment, variety, and fun factor for the members.

Look forward to hearing your thoughts next July!
Mike

Joe Hancock

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2007, 11:57:10 AM »
Here's a few images of the 12th.....before, during, and still during....of particular note, the re-exposed stone wall behind the green. There will be a wall built to match along the right side of the hole, replacing the chain link fence. That work will be completed this winter.

Joe
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2007, 12:28:02 PM »
Mike, Joe
thanks much for posting. Very good explanations of the whys and whats, and then the pictures, which are worth a thousand words, give or take a few hundred. "Stay out of that bunker" comes to mind in the 'after' picture, but not 'before'.

Peter

Adam Clayman

« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2007, 04:08:46 PM »
Mies van der Rohe jumped into my mind.

Look forward to more pics.

ty

Joe Hancock

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2007, 08:52:05 PM »
As requested, a few more pics. (Thanks, Mike Moss!)

Leading off is a before picture of #11 green. I would guess the picture is from 110 yards out or so.

From a bit closer in, the after shot. Note the increased size of the putting surface.

This picture clearly shows the bentgrass area to the left of the left greenside bunkers, which happens to be the back tee for #15. To the left and away from the #15 tee is the newly expanded #14 green.

This is the before shot of #12.

From a similar position....after.....

And, from short and left of the new #12 green.....

Joe

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2007, 09:36:24 PM »
Thanks, Joe -- and once again, my compliments to you and Mike. Lovely work

Peter
And a nice mini education/lesson on how this stuff works/plays out.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2007, 10:00:49 PM »
Joe, Is the picture mis-leading to the actual brightness of the sand?
 The two bunker samples you guys built last year looked somewhat darker. Or am I mistaken?

I love how you recreated the skyline effect on 11 by getting rid of those hideous mounds behind.

Joe Hancock

« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2007, 10:04:57 PM »
Adam,

You are seeing the bunkers without sand. The bright white liner is misleading..... :)

Joe

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back