News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David_Tepper

Marin CC
« on: November 29, 2007, 12:37:59 PM »
The Marin CC (Novato, CA) has just about finished a major renovation/facelift. Word is they are now pretty much at the grown-in stage.

I don't believe there has been any discussion here about it. Does anyone know who is doing the work?

Joel_Stewart

Re:Marin CC
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2007, 01:15:47 PM »
Marin Country Club, located just north of San Francisco, will begin a $5.6 million golf course renovation in early May under the direction of Tacoma, Wash.-based Architect John Harbottle. The project will include a new irrigation system; drainage upgrades; the reconstruction of all 18 greens, all bunkers and tees, the practice putting green; and a re-grassing of the entire course. From start to finish, the renovation of the 50-year-old course is projected to take nine months.
"We are absolutely delighted with John's ideas, both in terms of reconstructing the course's underlying infrastructure and with the aesthetic changes that will be most obvious to members," says Peter Hansen, Marin's general manager.
Nestled in a small valley blessed by one of the most temperate microclimates in Northern California, Marin is not a terribly long course by today's standards, said Harbottle. "Still, it's a sporty course with rolling topography, mature oak trees and a winding creek that creates the variety that holds a golfer's interest throughout a round. Our plan is to upgrade the course infrastructure and features with modern technology, but we don't want it to have a modern feel. Rather, we want to take the course back in time, giving it a 'Golden Age' character, which will be especially apparent in our bunker work."
With the selective removal of non-native species of trees and the pruning of brush that has grown up along sections of the course's waterway, "the creek will become a more visual and integral part of the course strategy," adds Harbottle.
That Marin's 515 members voted 66 percent in favor of the proposal is testament to the quality of Harbottle's work and the persuasive points made by course superintendent Kevin Pryseski. Indeed, the club opened a new $15 million clubhouse and tennis court complex just two years ago. Several in the club asked whether the project could be spread out over time to minimize disruption to play and break up the nearly $13,000 cost to each regular proprietary member.
With prior experience in both construction and renovation projects, Hansen and Pryseski explained the merits of bundling the work, and particularly how it would improve the quality and consistency of the project and eliminate the costly re-work that invariably accompanies a staged project. They also explained to the membership that capital project costs are rising annually by 10 to 15 percent. And, in a region where water use is drawing an increasingly critical eye from government officials, they noted that the project will enable Marin to reduce its water use by almost 30 percent, which takes the club much closer to self-sufficiency.
"The members appeared highly interested when we explained that the greens would have a Sub-Air system, which enables us to drain the surface during rainstorms and in reverse, inject air into the green during hot conditions," notes Pryseski. "We'll have more - and more interesting - pin positions than in the past, and we won't need to spend 100 hours repairing bunkers after every downpour. The crew will be able to focus on maintaining a first-rate course, instead of spending all too much time on intensive care issues."
The irrigation and course renovation will be handled by Landscapes Unlimited, one of the preeminent firms in the business. Based in Lincoln, Neb., the firm will start work on Marin immediately after the completion of its work on Torrey Pines in La Jolla, host of the 2008 U.S. Open. Greenshield Systems of Mount Vernon, Wash., has been contracted for the drainage work

David_Tepper

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2007, 01:19:17 PM »
Joel -

Thanks for the prompt & comprehensive response!

DT

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2007, 01:39:08 PM »
Joel -

Thanks for the prompt & comprehensive response!

DT

I just wrote that off the top of my head :)

Actually I did a search and found it from the Marin newspaper.  I have played there a few times, most recently about 3 years ago at the state amateur qualifier.  The course needed some help, especially on the front nine.  A $13,000 bill to each of the members is a big pill to swallow.

Tom Jefferson

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2007, 09:35:55 PM »
It's a beautiful setting............

The members have a GREAT superintendent in Kevin Pryseski.....that bodes well for the project.

Tom
the pres

Scott Stambaugh

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2007, 10:08:00 PM »

Actually I did a search and found it from the Marin newspaper.  I have played there a few times, most recently about 3 years ago at the state amateur qualifier.  The course needed some help, especially on the front nine.  A $13,000 bill to each of the members is a big pill to swallow.

Not quite as big as the $33,000 pill they swallowed about five years ago for a new clubhouse/practice facility/tennis courts.  Marin is a true hidden gem in the Bay Area.  A member once told me that the valley the golf course sits in has the fifth best climate in the world.  Not sure of his source, but it can't be far off...

SS

Bill_McBride

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2007, 10:58:03 PM »
I caddied in the first foursome that opened Marin GC, in 1958 I think!  George Splane was the pro, a great guy.  Marin was private when it opened, sounds like it might be still.  I remember the front nine was pretty flat and played out and back, around that barranca / creek on the right side both ways.  The back nine went up into and down out of a couple of pretty nice canyons, so there was more terrain on the back.

That's where I learned that you never straddle somebody else's line, awkwardly, to tap in a "gimme" putt.  Yes, I missed a tap in and lost a high school match.  Never again.  >:(

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2007, 11:17:07 PM »
Wait, didn't we just play this...oh wait, nevermind.   ;D

Bill,
I did that once too. It's the kind of thing you only do once, isn't it?

Kevin_Reilly

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2007, 11:44:59 PM »
Harbottle is busy in the Bay Area...he is also doing work across the bay at Orinda CC.
"GOLF COURSES SHOULD BE ENJOYED RATHER THAN RATED" - Tom Watson

Joshua Pettit

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2007, 12:53:45 AM »
I caddied in the first foursome that opened Marin GC, in 1958 I think!  George Splane was the pro, a great guy.  Marin was private when it opened, sounds like it might be still.  I remember the front nine was pretty flat and played out and back, around that barranca / creek on the right side both ways.  The back nine went up into and down out of a couple of pretty nice canyons, so there was more terrain on the back.

That's where I learned that you never straddle somebody else's line, awkwardly, to tap in a "gimme" putt.  Yes, I missed a tap in and lost a high school match.  Never again.  >:(

MCC was my first golf course job when I was 15, of course I can't claim it was as early as 1958.
"The greatest and fairest of things are done by nature, and the lesser by art."

Bill_McBride

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2007, 08:21:31 AM »
Wait, didn't we just play this...oh wait, nevermind.   ;D

Bill,
I did that once too. It's the kind of thing you only do once, isn't it?

Hopefully!  ;D

Mike Benham

« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2007, 11:05:14 AM »
I caddied in the first foursome that opened Marin GC, in 1958 I think!  George Splane was the pro, a great guy.  

I'm happy to say that I wasn't even born yet ;)

But Bill, how many caddy jobs did you have in the North Bay?
"... and I liked the guy ..."

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2007, 05:20:10 PM »
I'm positive McBride must have a portrait in the attic. He claims to be 106 years old, but is quite clearly no more than about 42 in the flesh.
Is your middle name Dorian, dearest Unc? ;D

neffers,
M.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

David Stamm

« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2007, 05:43:14 PM »
Harbottle is busy in the Bay Area...he is also doing work across the bay at Orinda CC.

Kevin, do you know what kind of work he's doing? This is supposed to be one of Watson's least changed courses.
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Bill_McBride

« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2007, 07:08:46 PM »
I caddied in the first foursome that opened Marin GC, in 1958 I think!  George Splane was the pro, a great guy.  

I'm happy to say that I wasn't even born yet ;)

But Bill, how many caddy jobs did you have in the North Bay?

Not really that many, mostly around my 16th year (1958).  A few loops at the Meadow Club, mostly (as the newbie) for pairs of elderly ladies who played army golf while I struggled to keep up, and a few loops at Marin when it opened.  Pretty quickly I figured it was a demanding job that didn't pay much and moved on.  ;)

Jon Spaulding

« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2007, 08:16:52 PM »

Kevin, do you know what kind of work he's doing? This is supposed to be one of Watson's least changed courses.

Didn't Harbottle already screw up Hacienda pretty badly? Paging Tommy.......
You'd make a fine little helper. What's your name?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back