News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Lloyd_Cole

Glasgow Gailes
« on: November 22, 2007, 12:17:25 PM »
I wonder how many of the folk here who have played it's famed neighbour have played the Glagow Gailes links?

We played them back to back a few years ago and I felt that, while WG clearly had the edge, and was a stronger test, GG was no pushover and had rustic, rough around the edges feel compared to some to the hard lines at WG. I felt, overall, that I had a little more fun at GG, but as I recall I did win there and lose at WG...

Bob_Huntley

Re:Glasgow Gailes
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2007, 01:03:42 PM »
Lloyd,

Have played it but once and my playing companion and I  found it harder than WG. Off the fairway an inch and the heather is a killer.

Bob

Rich Goodale

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2007, 03:49:56 PM »
I've played them both, Lloyd, and I don't think Glasgow Gailes is anywhere near as good as Western Gailes.  I'd compare the former to the Jubilee course at St. Andrews--not easy (as Bob says) but not at all compelling.  It fails the Mucci replay test, whereas Western Gailes pases it with flying colo(u)rs.  In fact, I can't think of a better place to play 54 in a day than Western Gailes at the height of summer.

ward peyronnin

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2007, 04:49:57 PM »
Llioydo,

Played them back to back and GG did not compare. Very flattish terrain and i remember being close to some marginally acceptable transportation features( in the far corner) and very close to the motorway(elevated) at points. .I just don't remember anything remarkable about the course( setting, greens, bunkering, routing, stances, etc. ) but Wg was quite remarkable  with seaside holes and elevation and greens and bunker placement. I s'pose if the wind was blowing it could be a hard place to play if the heather and rough were up. I agree with RFG- no replay with Prestwick etc. in the area.
All the Best
Ward
"Golf is happiness. It's intoxication w/o the hangover; stimulation w/o the pills. It's price is high yet its rewards are richer. Some say its a boys pastime but it builds men. It cleanses the mind/rejuvenates the body. It is these things and many more for those of us who truly love it." M.Norman

Mark Smolens

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2007, 11:10:43 PM »
I thought it was a good, first day off the plane course and intro to links golf, but have to agree that it was not in WG's league.

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2007, 01:32:04 AM »
I've played them both, Lloyd, and I don't think Glasgow Gailes is anywhere near as good as Western Gailes.  I'd compare the former to the Jubilee course at St. Andrews--not easy (as Bob says) but not at all compelling.  It fails the Mucci replay test, whereas Western Gailes pases it with flying colo(u)rs.  In fact, I can't think of a better place to play 54 in a day than Western Gailes at the height of summer.

Rich,

I agree that Glasgow Gailes is not in the same class as Western Gailes but I think the average golfer will score higher there than its neighbor.

Bob

Steve Kline

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2007, 07:41:50 AM »
Played both in the same day. I would love to play Western Gailes again but I would never even think of setting foot on Glasgow Gailes again. The two courses aren't even close to the same league.

When I was there 5-7 years ago a new course was being built not too far from Glasgow Gailes. Does anyone know anything about this course?

Jin Kim

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2007, 01:33:25 PM »
I thought playing Glasgow Gailes was a waste of time.

Jason McNamara

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2007, 07:33:45 PM »
When I was there 5-7 years ago a new course was being built not too far from Glasgow Gailes. Does anyone know anything about this course?

Do you mean Southern Gailes / Dundonald?  A Kyle Phillips (Kingsbarns) course built around the time you mention, owned by Loch Lomond for the past 4+ years.

http://www.dundonaldlinks.com/
« Last Edit: November 23, 2007, 07:40:49 PM by Jason McNamara »

Bart Bradley

« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2007, 08:12:31 PM »

Do you mean Southern Gailes / Dundonald?  A Kyle Phillips (Kingsbarns) course built around the time you mention, owned by Loch Lomond for the past 4+ years.

http://www.dundonaldlinks.com/

Played Dundonald last summer...nice course, solid, not elite, not tremendously memorable...although Kyle Philips not even remotely in the same class as Kingsbarns...The pictures I have of Dundonald are a bit nondescript but will give you some idea.  I would rank it behind Turnberry Ailsa, Prestwick, Western Gailes, Troon Old...all in the same area...I didn't play Glasgow Gailes...ENJOY...

Bart

ANTHONYPIOPPI

« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2007, 10:12:53 AM »
Lloyd:

Any photos of the place? What about a couple of your favorite holes. Obviously, you didn't think it a waste of your time.

Anthony

Lloyd_Cole

« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2007, 12:10:29 PM »
Lloyd:

Any photos of the place? What about a couple of your favorite holes. Obviously, you didn't think it a waste of your time.

Anthony

Tony, No. I've only played it twice, but the last time was when my band had our reunion in 2004, and we had a 6 or 7 round stableford tournament - we played at WG, GG, Troon Darly (a muni), The Island, and a couple more.. I almost never take photos, certainly never in a match, so  all I have is my general impression from Playing a (very)competitive Match on the course, which was that I enjoyed myself, and so did the rest of the group, I felt challenged, and was not asked to repeatedly hit the same shot. My memory is dodgy at the best of times...
I only brought the topic up because I never see mention of GG while WG is mentioned often, again this week.
I respect the posters who found GG wanting. I think one of my 'handicaps' when it comes to appreciating GCA is that I find it hard to do much more than compete, when I'm in a match, and my course impressions afterwards are general, non specific, did I enjoy it? Was I challenged? Did I play the same club too often? To really assess a course, I need to walk it, which I rarely have the time to do.
I also come from, and remain entrenched in, mediocre golf country, so I'm possibly easily pleased. My home course is probably a Doak 1 or 2, but I do enjoy playing it.
Playing any golf at all, for me, is a luxury, and if I can carry my bag, feel a sea breeze and enjoy the competition, it is never a waste of my time.

ANTHONYPIOPPI

« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2007, 12:19:37 PM »
Lloyd:

I trust your opinion so now I'm in search of Glasgow Gailes photos.

Who cares what the Doak Scale rates your course? Does it have a category for "I enjoy playing it even when my friend takes all my money?"

I didn't think so.

Anthony

Lloyd_Cole

« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2007, 12:20:41 PM »
Tony

http://www.glasgowgailes-golf.com/gailes_hole_by_hole.asp

I am happy to supplement the income of all my friends.
I am also happy to receive said supplement, although it seems to happen less and less...
« Last Edit: November 25, 2007, 01:07:17 PM by Lloyd_Cole »

ANTHONYPIOPPI

« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2007, 12:58:02 PM »
Lloyd:

I couldn't find sh*t for photos but I did find this information.

Gailes Links is hosting the 2010 Scottish Open Amateur Stroke play Championship and the 2012 Home Internationals.

Glasgow Gailes Links is owned and managed by Glasgow Golf Club, the 9th oldest golf Club in the world.

Willie Park of Musselburgh a former open championship winner designed the course, which opened for play in 1892.

At 6903 yards long from the championship tees with a par 71 here is a great test of golf and off the kinder ‘medium tees represents a fine test for players of all abilities. It is simply traditional links at its best.

When a former Open Champion and the winner of the treasured Green Jacket at the Augusta national Golf Club tells you the course is ‘one of the world’s truly great tests of links golf’ then you HAVE to listen! Such a generous verdict on the Glasgow Gailes, Irvine comes from one of Scotland’s most distinguished sons Sandy Lyle.

Lloyd_Cole

« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2007, 01:05:59 PM »
Lloyd:

I couldn't find sh*t for photos but I did find this information.

When a former Open Champion and the winner of the treasured Green Jacket at the Augusta national Golf Club tells you the course is ‘one of the world’s truly great tests of links golf’ then you HAVE to listen! Such a generous verdict on the Glasgow Gailes, Irvine comes from one of Scotland’s most distinguished sons Sandy Lyle.

Tony

Photos (not much, but something) are in the individual holes' pages of the course guide. Click on the hole on the map - presto!

If I had a course, great player that he was, Sandy would not be my first choice for a quote.. knowing GGC a little, having lived there, I think it would not be unfair to suggest that they are more interested in their prestige, their standing amongst the British elite clubs,  than they are in the courses...

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back