News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

TEPaul

Re:TOC: the Case for the Prosecution
« Reply #75 on: November 29, 2007, 07:58:49 AM »
Sean:

Golf carts may be the worst thing that ever happened to golf, but I'll tell you right now, mats on golf courses are just as bad or at the very least a photo-finish close second!!

Rich Goodale

« Reply #76 on: November 29, 2007, 08:05:34 AM »
Don't be so hasty, Tom.

The Miss Lonelyputts Top Ten reasons in favour of playing with mats on the Old Course.

10. Off a mat, you might finally get to feel what it's like to put spin on the ball.
9.  You can always kick your ball into the light rough and play from there
8.  Mat manufacturing is one of the most important industries in North East Fife
7.  Mats are recyclable whereas divots are not
6.  If you get "caught out" on the course, using a mat is preferable to the leaves of a gorse bush
5.  It's almost impossible to whiff a long approach putt if you are playing off a mat
4.  No cuppy lies on mats
3.  If your opponent has lost his mat you can claim the hole, or even the match
2.  Old Tom Morris invented the mat
1.  If you are playing on a mat, you are playing golf, and not locked by your computer trying to create meaningless GCA threads in the 4-5 months Stygian doom and gloom that is Winter in Philadelphia.

Mark Pearce

« Reply #77 on: November 29, 2007, 08:08:48 AM »
It's no damn difference than going to bed with a life-sized plastic doll of Heidi Klum!  

Is that an informed opinion?
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #78 on: November 29, 2007, 08:26:47 AM »
It's no damn difference than going to bed with a life-sized plastic doll of Heidi Klum!  

No, he's never played TOC. ;)
« Last Edit: November 29, 2007, 08:27:22 AM by Tony_Muldoon »
Let's make GCA grate again!

Chris Kane

« Reply #79 on: November 29, 2007, 04:04:56 PM »
The mats are nowhere near as bad as some like to think, especially those who haven't used them before.  I played a lot of golf with mats at St Andrews, and I can't say the experience was significantly diminished.

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #80 on: November 29, 2007, 04:43:21 PM »
4 months of the year on mats on TOC and 4 months of the year Kingsbarns is closed. East coast Scotland annual rainfall: Among the least in the UK. East Coast Scotland Frost days: Among the least in the UK. Dismal.

Maximising ROI is obviously the LAST thing on the minds of St Andrews golf operators.  ::)

On the plus side, though, this is the first FBD thread in a goodly long while that has run to 3 pages. So I got that goin' for me.

F.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #81 on: November 30, 2007, 04:27:11 AM »
The mats are nowhere near as bad as some like to think, especially those who haven't used them before.  I played a lot of golf with mats at St Andrews, and I can't say the experience was significantly diminished.

I think a lot more UK courses could start using mats in the winter espcially if global warming continues. Firstly you have to understand the grass hardly grows in the winter over here so any wear can be quite damaging because recovery rates are poor. I spoke to a greenkeeper who believed a round of golf in January did 12 times the damage of a July round in the UK and I can see his point. Mats are not a bad thing if primarily you want to protect the course and in some respects better to strike a ball off a mat than an old divot or soggy fairway. Mats are common practice at courses that have a big tournament in say 10 weeks time, perhaps a compriomise could be to ask golfers to actually tee the ball up in order to reduce divot damage.
A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

Garland Bayley

« Reply #82 on: November 30, 2007, 03:14:38 PM »

No, it's second hand information from his friend Mucci.
 ;D
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Doug Siebert

« Reply #83 on: December 01, 2007, 06:14:31 PM »
But the cretins at the Links Trust only charge something like $100 during the winter.  How can you complain about that?  Why did it take two pages for someone to come up with the dreaded mats?  This is surely a LARGE tick against the ole gal.

The mats suck I'm sure but at least they are open during those months.

Anyone complains too loudly about the mats might want to ask themselves whether Pine Valley be dropped from its #1 ranking because they won't let its members out on the course during a nice winter day, even with mats!
« Last Edit: December 01, 2007, 06:14:41 PM by Doug Siebert »
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back