News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve_ Shaffer

Yorba Linda CC(Rainville, Sr.)
« on: November 30, 2007, 07:18:34 AM »
I just watched an old episode of All Star Golf on TGC. This was a big event featuring a series of 2ball stroke play matches between Snead, Middlecoff, Demaret and Burke played at YLCC in the 1960s. The course looked fairly new and somewhat basic. The website shows the course today as obviously mature. I don't know much about Rainville. I'm sure the CA contingent is familiar with his work. Please enlighten me.

www.yorbalindaclub.com

"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Tommy_Naccarato

Re:Yorba Linda CC(Rainville, Sr.)
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2007, 09:17:13 AM »
Steve,
I haven't played Yorba Linda in some years, last time was about 1986, but back then it was surprisngly fun and for me (at least back then) a sneeky long golf course.

The club has had it share of great golfers too. Bobby May played out of there.

In the old days, (back then) Yorba Linda was set in between beautiful groves of oranges, horse trails and ranch houses. Now it's just a shell of its former self. The area is mass populated.

I believe the course is owned, or at at one time was owned by American Golf. One of their few private clubs.

Lynn_Shackelford

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2007, 12:33:21 PM »
Tommy, Yorba Linda was American Golf's first CC.
The original design was long and had some pretty good holes.  Yes, the housing around the course has comprised what was a pretty decent course at one time.
Long time pro, Tom Sargent, had a long list of top juniors in the 80's.
It must be kept in mind that the elusive charm of the game suffers as soon as any successful method of standardization is allowed to creep in.  A golf course should never pretend to be, nor is intended to be, an infallible tribunal.
               Tom Simpson

David Stamm

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2007, 02:04:17 PM »
I just watched an old episode of All Star Golf on TGC. This was a big event featuring a series of 2ball stroke play matches between Snead, Middlecoff, Demaret and Burke played at YLCC in the 1960s. The course looked fairly new and somewhat basic. The website shows the course today as obviously mature. I don't know much about Rainville. I'm sure the CA contingent is familiar with his work. Please enlighten me.

www.yorbalindaclub.com

Steve, Harry R used to work for Lawrence Hughes and served as his superintendent on several projects. He later went out on his own and later went into business with his son, David. His work was confined to California and he was quite prolific here. I've played a few of his:San Juan Hills GC, Escondido CC, Fallbrook GC, Shadowridge CC (which David completed upon his fathers death), Lake San Marcos CC and Whispering Palms CC (later revised by Jay Moorish and now known as Morgan Run). There's some good stuff and bad among them. His son went on to do quite few others on his own such as The Vineyards and Eagle Crest. The Rainville name in general is probably the most known with golfers in So Cal behind only the Bells and the Robinson's.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2007, 02:09:30 PM by David Stamm »
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2007, 02:25:31 PM »
Lynn,
Tom Sargent recently contacted me on some stuff on the Bell's but I haven't made contact back with him. I was surprised to hear he was now at Mesa Verde CC.

Bill Gayne

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2007, 08:24:36 AM »
I saw the end of the programming yesterday morning and what's really striking when watching these old films is the change in equipment.

Burke and Demeret hitting 2 woods on 18 from 245 yards out. Nobody has a 2 wood today. One of the players chipped with a six iron from a couple of feet off the green and the balled rolled most of the way. The greens were slow and looked like it might have been a Bermuda surface.

Physically the two players look diminutive with large triceps and biceps to generate power.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2007, 10:59:12 AM »
We had our conference golf medal play championship there in 1961 or 1962.  The course was pretty new without a lot of trees.  I played it maybe 20 years later and could barely recognize it.  What I remember most - it's not particularly memorable - was the two very long par 3s, 250 each, bracketing a very long par 5, maybe 580.  Those were long holes in the early '60s.

Jon Spaulding

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2007, 09:16:44 PM »

www.yorbalindaclub.com

Steve, Harry R used to work for Lawrence Hughes and served as his superintendent on several projects. He later went out on his own and later went into business with his son, David. His work was confined to California and he was quite prolific here. I've played a few of his:San Juan Hills GC, Escondido CC, Fallbrook GC, Shadowridge CC (which David completed upon his fathers death), Lake San Marcos CC and Whispering Palms CC (later revised by Jay Moorish and now known as Morgan Run). There's some good stuff and bad among them. His son went on to do quite few others on his own such as The Vineyards and Eagle Crest. The Rainville name in general is probably the most known with golfers in So Cal behind only the Bells and the Robinson's.

Your "most known" might be one of the most depressing statements of fact in existence. (IMO you forgot GCTJ, he's well marketed on hats that people buy at WPB designs)

What you neglected to mention is the 95% bad - 5% acceptability ratio of Rainville's work. Some of the courses listed, if posted on gca, would cause a disk failure on Ran's hosting service.
You'd make a fine little helper. What's your name?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back