News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

kconway

Golf Course Books
« on: November 25, 2007, 08:25:17 AM »
What are the best Golf Course Books for Christmas presents?

Jeff_Mingay

Re:Golf Course Books
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2007, 09:31:17 AM »
kelly,

It depends what you're looking for, exactly.

If you're after a book featuring stunning photos of the world's great golf courses and commentary on those courses and clubs, pick up Darius Oliver's and David Scalletti's new, Planet Golf. If you're after an education in golf architecture, you can't go wrong with Tom Doak's, The Anatomy of a Golf Course.

I'd add any, and all, of Geoff Shackelford's books to the list too.
jeffmingay.com

wsmorrison

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2007, 09:42:03 AM »
I wasn't very high on The Match, the story of young amateur golfers Venturi and Ward playing a better ball match against the legendary Nelson and Hogan.  It wasn't bad, but I hoped for better.  How many times did Frost cite the winks and nods between the four players?  In my opinion, a long magazine article (or monthly series of articles) would have been a better format.

I am halfway through Tommy's Honor and so far it is very well done.  It captures the time and place in a manner that is easy to visualize and understand; an earlier era in golf and the earliest days of professional golf and an uncanny connection to today given the impact of technology.  Back then it was the gutta percha versus the feathery.  So far, it is highly recommended.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2007, 09:42:54 AM by Wayne Morrison »

Eric Franzen

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2007, 09:56:32 AM »
Finegan's "Where Golf is Great" might also be of interest.

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbninquiry.asp?ean=9781579652715&z=y

John Kirk

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2007, 11:02:58 AM »
My two favorite golf books lately are:

The Golden Age of Golf Design by Geoff Shackelford
The Evangelist Of Golf by George Bahto

They are both a few years old.  Both are very educational.

David Stamm

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2007, 11:11:14 AM »
For a book on golf courses, I would recommend Hutchinson's British Golf Links. Fantastic old photo's! I agree with Eric, you can't go wrong with Finegan's Where Golf is Great. Malcolm Campbell's Scottish Golf Book is also worth having.

Of course if you haven't read World Atlas I would also recommend that as well. Both of Wexler's books on America's lost courses are a must. And I'll also agree with the comment about Shackelford. Anything of his is worth the investment.
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back