News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bob Jenkins

Re:sort of o/t Golf and Dad
« Reply #25 on: November 23, 2007, 04:37:36 PM »

Jordan,

Get back to your studies!!!

Actually, that was a very fine post. I know your dad is proud of you. Maybe some day he can teach you to tuck in your shirt.

Regards and hello to your family!

Bob

Sam Morrow

« Reply #26 on: November 23, 2007, 09:13:43 PM »
What a neat thread, I start to get choked up thinking about the fact that my Dad's health is to the point where I can't play golf with him anymore.

Ian Andrew

« Reply #27 on: November 23, 2007, 09:26:19 PM »
Jordan,

Many years ago (it's on here somewhere) I wrote about my father having cancer and not being able to play and how the realization that he would likely never play hurt a great deal. My father was the reason I took up the game and followed my dream to design golf courses.

My father eventually recovered and returned to the game about three full years later. We even made the trip to Ireland another five years after that to "finish" the last of our dream trips we had planned when I was 18.

Play wherever and whenever you can.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2007, 09:27:02 PM by Ian Andrew »

Jay Flemma

« Reply #28 on: November 23, 2007, 09:56:22 PM »
Jordan, I can't begin to tell you how touching your piece was.  Your love of your dad shines through brightly.  he's smiling proudly at you right now.  Jamey's right..it is a gentleman's game...and you are a true gentleman.

I remember playing my first round with my dad after he had quadruple bypass...I cherished every shot.  I still thank god for every day with him.

Thanks for showing us the true meaning of thanksgiving and golf - love and comaradarie.  Slante.

Steve Kline

« Reply #29 on: November 24, 2007, 07:56:36 AM »
Very cool Jordan.

Final Rounds is a TREMENDOUS book. I read it right before my dad and I took our first trip to Scotland I think.

My dad has always had very, very bad eyesight. He plays golf almost every single day. About 5 years ago he woke up one morning and couldn't see out of his right eye - his good eye. The blood vessel to his optic nerve lost too much blood pressure during the night and his eye was permanently damaged. Nothing could be done and nothing could stop it from happening to the other eye. He had a house in Pinehurst and had always dreamed of retiring there. But now that was all in question. Because he was now blind in his right eye he had no depth perception. He tried to play but it was a struggle since, despite his really bad vision, he had reached his lowest handicap ever - 4 - just before he lost his vision in his right eye. It really sucked seeing him down about golf, almost wanting to quit, but he perservered. We have taken several trips to Scotland since, played in several member-guests at Pinehurst, etc. He caddies for me in every tournament I play - Eagle Eye he calls himself. After every shot he hits when I play with him I tell him the ball flight and where it ended up because he can't see the ball for more than 50-75 yards. So when he caddies for me I describe the shot to him as well. It's kind of funny in a way.

When I left for college my freshman year it was obviously my first time away from my dad. During the previous five years we literally played golf together 6 days a week. Every day after school - we got out at 2:20 - my dad would leave work early to come play with me. On the weekends we would play 36 together on both Saturday and Sunday. So when I got to school I didn't realize how much I would miss playing golf with him. When I returned home the first time at Thanksgiving break the very first thing my dad and I did was play golf together. We didn't say a word to each other the first 4 holes. On the fifth hole we just looked at each other. The look on his face, and I know the one on mine, said that all was now right with the world again. It is something I will never forget.

I don't remember the first round with my dad because he had me on the driving range at age three and on the course shortly thereafter.

I work at family's business, started by my great-grandfather in 1928. So, I see my dad every day at work. We still play together about once or twice a week since we are members at the same club five minutes from our office. He still plays every day. And every morning I go straight to his desk to see how he played the day before. A few years ago he said he was retiring and moving to Pinehurst at 60. That's just less than two years away. I've already been thinking about not seeing him in the office every day, not going out at lunch to play a round, not hearing about his round the day before. It's going to seem like a big part of me is missing but I think it will make going to Pinehurst to play with him even more special. We use to go there for my spring break in high school and play 36 holes a day for 6 straight days. So many good memories.

One of the writers here could probably make a really good book about with these stories about dads and golf if it hasn't already been done.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2007, 08:22:21 AM by Steve Kline »

igrowgrass

« Reply #30 on: November 25, 2007, 12:58:48 AM »
Jordan this is you finest post ever.
I've never had the chance to play golf with my Dad, he doesn't play.  My brother and I learned to play from friends.  It was the greatest desicion of my life, giving up baseball for golf.  I beat my brother this summer for possibly the first time in my life.  I shot even, he shot 3 over.  Looking back on it,  the last four holes were hilarious.  We didn't talk much over those holes, but when all was said and done with a rye smile he says, "Good Round."

Anyone have any other good sibling rivalry stories?

I look forward to the day of having my own kids and walking the links with them.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back