News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike Hendren

The Ultimate Criterion: Happiness
« on: November 23, 2007, 11:21:57 AM »
I am gazing at the photograph of the first hole at Sand Hills that I recently hung in my new office.  I have placed it at eye level when seated at my computer a couple of feet away.  

Sand Hills has been discussed to death on this site, and those of us fortunate enough to play it have always been quick to add our two cents if for no other reason than validating the experience.  

That said, I have never been happier on a golf course than when at Sand Hills and The Old Course.  

What course makes you happy?

Mike
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Sean Leary

Re:The Ultimate Criterion: Happiness
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2007, 12:30:16 PM »
Pebble Beach for me. Played it 5 times and everytime I play, I wonder why I don't find a way to play it more....

kconway

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2007, 12:35:01 PM »
any of the following would make agreat day for me:

Sand Hills
Crystal Downs
Kings Barns
Royal County Down
Royal Portrush
Royal Melbourne
San Francisco Golf
Western Gailles
Ballyneal
Lahinch
North Berwich
Royal Cinque Ports

Greg Krueger

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2007, 12:50:24 PM »
I had a incredible day at Royal Dornach this past July. Just
an awesome experience. Others I would put on my list:

The Old Course
Wade Hampton
Interlachen (Minnesota)
Hazeltine
Doonbeg
Pinehurst #2
Raleigh CC

Tony Dear

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2007, 12:51:01 PM »
St. Enodoc in Cornwall, England - a very special place. The US course I would hang a picture of in my office is probably Black Mesa or Circling Raven or Pacific Dunes (all the old GCA favorites) or Wente Vineyards in Pleasanton, CA, which I played on Tuesday and liked VERY much (despite the fact it suffers from a common 'destination' course problem; too many downhill par 3s - I know  downhill par 3s tend to look more attractive but let's keep it to one a round, maybe two. Hey, I think I'll start a thread about this.)
Cheers,
Tony
Tony

Steve Lang

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2007, 12:53:42 PM »
 8) The Black Forest at Wilderness Valley, means i'm on vacation near the 45th paralllel in mich end of july.. and in 15 minutes or so can be jumping into Blue Lake
« Last Edit: November 23, 2007, 12:55:39 PM by Steve Lang »
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

hhuffines

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2007, 01:15:55 PM »
Mike,

Just framed my map of the old course and share your feelings - havent been to NE yet.

Pinehurst #2 with the chimes going off is my favorite, after that anywhere I am playing with my son.

Hart

Jin Kim

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2007, 01:31:14 PM »
The following are courses that I would want to play as many times as possible. I managed to fit 54 holes in at Sand hills one day many years ago.

Sand Hills
Bandon/Pacific
Carne
Prestwick
Old Course

Jeff Shelman

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2007, 02:45:11 PM »
Maybe this is lame, but I'm happy on any course if it is at some point between Monday and Friday. That means I'm not in the office.

TEPaul

« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2007, 02:55:22 PM »
"What courses makes you happy?"

Royal County Down
Port Rush
North Berwick
Pine Valley
Maidstone
The Creek
Fishers Island
Myopia
Merion East and West
Seminole
Sand Hills
Shinnecock
NGLA
HVGC
Manufacturers
Lehigh
Fox Chapel
Oakmont
Riviera
Cypress Point
Fernandina Beach Municipal
« Last Edit: November 23, 2007, 03:00:18 PM by TEPaul »

Mark Smolens

« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2007, 03:34:04 PM »
How about any course where I can play with my buddy Rick after he finishes his radiation and chemo and recovers from a brain tumor?  Yes, all of the courses that the regulars on this sit get to play are awesome, and I'm jealous/envious when I read about them here, but let's not lose sight of the fact that the stupid game is extraordinarily fun on the worst of the dog tracks out there if the people we're with make it so. . . and that's my "ultimate criterion."

Mark Pearce

« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2007, 04:11:29 PM »
Must admit I'm surprised so many people have gone with top level courses.  Happiest I've been on a golf course this year was a beautiful evening on top of the world at Kington.  Wonderful.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

rchesnut

« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2007, 01:09:15 AM »
Mark makes a great point.  I love great golf courses, but when I think back to my most fun, memorable rounds, it's all about who I'm playing with that separates the really good days on the course from the great ones (there are no bad days out there).  Playing with my dad at Oceana military golf course in Virginia Beach as a kid comes to mind.  Of course, if you get out with good friends on a great golf course, it's just heaven...playing Pacific Dunes as the fog rolls in off the ocean with a good friend, or  playing Barnbougle Dunes in 30+ mph winds with another friend, or a good match at my home club (Pasatiempo).  

Jason Connor

« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2007, 09:53:27 AM »
Good point.  A fine golf course makes you feel "at home" the very first time you play it.  A good golf course feels like your grandma's kitchen or your boyhood dog.  This summer I really had the "grandma's kitchen" feel while playing Michigan's Mackenzie course for the first time.

1. Any course with my Uncle Bob
2. Pacific Grove back nine (just something about a muni)
3. Bethpage Black (ditto)
4. U of Michigan Mackenzie Course
5. Heritage (on Pawley's Island)
6. The greats I've played (e.g. Oakmont)

We discovered that in good company there is no such thing as a bad golf course.  - James Dodson

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back