News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Matt Kardash

Colleton river dye - what's the what?
« on: November 22, 2007, 08:54:19 PM »
Ok, so every tme Pete Dye opens his mouth he says Colleton River is one of his very best courses. That's a lofty statement. I remember once tim Liddy having ranked this course in Dye's top 5 on this very site. Ron Whitten says it's better than Long Cove and at least as good as Harbour Town.

I was just playing on Google earth and was looking at this course from the air. From the air it looks about as strategic a course as you can build and the back nine looks really interesting along the water.

So what gives? How come you never hear about this course? Has anyone played it?

I dunno, i wouldn't mind playing a place that looks like this. I like that huge green that looks like it needs to be played to blind if you don't hug the water

http://tinyurl.com/2ktg2w  

« Last Edit: November 22, 2007, 09:45:12 PM by matt kardash »
the interviewer asked beck how he felt "being the bob dylan of the 90's" and beck quitely responded "i actually feel more like the bon jovi of the 60's"

Cory Lewis

Re:Colleton river dye - what's the what?
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2007, 09:16:04 PM »
Try searching for old threads on golf around Hilton head, I know it's been discussed here quite a bit.  For my part I thought it was a great course, especially the back nine.  Bunkering and greens were different from Dye's other stuff in the area.
Instagram: @2000golfcourses
http://2000golfcourses.blogspot.com

Matt Kardash

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2007, 09:20:03 PM »
Yeah, i remember this course being discussed a little in one thread (that i probably started) a long time ago...but it seemed very few people at the time actually played it.
the interviewer asked beck how he felt "being the bob dylan of the 90's" and beck quitely responded "i actually feel more like the bon jovi of the 60's"

Anthony_Nysse

Re:Colleton river dye - what's the what? New
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2007, 07:18:59 AM »
Matt,
  I just moved from Hilton Head Island. I spent 4 years there at Long Cove Club and was fortunate enough to play the Dye course at CR many times. It's not very user friendly and the membership tends to play the easier, Nicklaus course, the the stradigy involved in playing the Dye is unmatched. There are pot bunkers EVERYWHERE and there are numerous mounding areas that make it feel different that anything on HHI. I think that the shots that need to be performed there are are as good as anything Dye has done. Period. The par 3's all go in different directions, there is a really good set of par 5s and a godo variety of par 4's including the blind approach on #14. I personally think that The Dye course is the BEST in the HHI area, much better than Harbour Town. HT isn't even isn't even in my Top 5. I think that HT is VERY overrated. The Dye course ALWAYS has a good breeze and has such a great mix of holes. I'm just not sure the membership promotes the course enough. Kevin Dugger, Golf Course Superintendent, understands how to have TREMENDOUS conditioning on very firm surfaces. He's a very agressive supt that gets it. I personally rate CR Dye in Golfweek's Top 100, easily.

Tony Nysse
Asst. Supt.
Colonial CC
Ft. Worth, TX
« Last Edit: January 27, 2017, 12:00:16 PM by Anthony_Nysse »
Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2007, 12:10:50 PM »
What's most interesting about Harbour Town, Long Cove and Colleton River's Pete Dye-designed courses is they're all SO different. I think that's a compliment to Dye's thoughtfulness and creativity, over a period decades between the construction of Harbour Town and Colleton River.
jeffmingay.com

Matt Kardash

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2007, 04:11:49 PM »
Yup, as I thought, basically no one here has played this course.

Anthony_Nysse

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2007, 05:58:40 PM »
Matt
   Ive played it, so I wouldnt say that no one has played it....
  As Cory pointed out, it has been discussed in the past-do a search. Just because no one chimes in doesnt mean no one has played it. I know quite a few here that have.

Tony Nysse
Asst. Supt.
Colonial CC
Ft. Worth, TX
Anthony J. Nysse
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

Mark_Fine

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2007, 11:08:54 PM »
Matt,
I've played it.  Maybe I'll post some photos tomorrow if I get a moment back at the computer.  It is good, but I would not call it Pete's best and I've seen most of Pete's top designs to compare it to.  It has lots of pot bunkers as stated above as well as some of what I call volcano bunkers which are quite interesting.  It makes you think your way around but that is trademark Dye at almost any of his golf courses.  It might come down to style which could be why he likes it so much. I do have to say that the back tee on #18 is one of his worst and also very expensive as well.  Just my opinion.  
Mark

Tim Rooney

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2007, 01:27:22 AM »
Matt, played Dye 3/yrs ago and echo Tony's,et.al. regarding all the positives.Would rate behind TGC,TOC ,however, a wonderful track.Did Nicklaus improve his course, dramatically, with his recent Restoration?

Anthony_Nysse

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2007, 06:42:52 AM »
Matt,
  Mark comments about the tee on #18 is actually the tee on #9. Its a tee built up on a deck platform with a natural marsh area under it. It is actual grass, but the tee is rarely used.
  As for the volcano bunkers...there is alot of mounding at CR Dye and on top of this mounding is little pot bunkers-I assume there are really never is play and probabley make you laugh a bit if youre on the bunker crew. (#9, #12)
  The Nicklaus course really didn't have too many improvements other than drainage. #6 greens was moved 30yds to the right to get away from a tree lined area and closer to a lagoon. The whole golf course was returfed and a new Director of Golf and Superintendent were brought in. They have raised the level of conditioning to equal any bermudgrass course in America. Their greens are alway very fast (12+) and very firm. It's a very safe, member friendly golf course that really "pops" when you reach #14. That is the first dune hole and the get out near the Colleton River. In fact, you can see #18 at Belfair from #17 and #18 at CR. A good track, but doesn't require the dicipline that that Dye course does.

Tony Nysse
Asst. Supt.
Colonial CC
Ft. Worth, TX

Anthony J. Nysse
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

Mark_Fine

« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2007, 08:25:33 AM »
Tony,
I'm sure you are correct about #9 tee (my mistake).  Here is a photo of it:

And here is one of those "volcano" bunkers:

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2007, 11:51:16 AM »
I played the course when it first opened.  I recall some of the holes by the water which were very good.  I do remember walking off the course and thinking that the terrain was uninteresting and that I didn't care if I ever played it again.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Paul Saathoff

« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2007, 11:31:27 AM »
I thought I'd make this my first post to the boards.  I love the Dye Course at Colleton.  Anyone who would say this track is uninteresting is just mad.  I had the pleasure of playing it three times while I was working for on the construction crew at the new Dye course in Sea Pines.  It has some of the most interesting shpaes I've seen on a golf course.  The shaping is superb and it has some great looking mounding and bunkers from the volcanoe bunker (Dye's mountain as they call it) to the bunkers that are practically in the middle of nowhere (in front of back tees).  The back nine can get challenging especially if there is a strong wind, which I encountered every visit, and it has some great views.  The 2nd and 4th holes were used extensively in the cheeseball (imo) movie Bagger Vance.  If you get a chance, check this place out, it's a fun track, and interesting visually.

The par 3 3rd with bunkers everywhere!

The par 3 6th with interesting plateau type shapes in the drive through bunker

Dye's Mountain again

View of 18 from 10 tees, not great, but you can see some of the shaping going on

12th

13th Par 3

14 (getting dark).  If you're on the left side of the fairway here the bunker on the left completley blinds the huge green, which falls off sharply on all sides.

The 18th.  Maybe a bit much, but definately interesting.

David Whitmer

« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2007, 12:41:10 PM »
I thought the Dye Course at Colleton was fantastic, especially the back nine. Much better than the Nicklaus course, in my opinion. I'm not sure I'd put it ahead of Long Cove, but it's not that far behind.

Mike Salinetti

« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2007, 04:29:10 PM »
I played the Dye course at Colleton right after it was built as well. I recall that I was not too impressed, but that could have been due to a terrible round. I am fortunate to be playing both Colleton courses as well as Harbour Town and the new Dye course in Sea Pines, formerly Sea Marsh, during the week between Christmas and New Years. I will take some pics and post comments.
Mike Salinetti
Golf Course Superintendent
Berkshire Hills Country Club
Pittsfield, MA

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back