News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jordan Wall

Bali Hai
« on: November 25, 2007, 12:21:23 PM »
So I got to play a few times this week in Las Vegas, mostly at night on the lit up Callaway nine hole course, but I got out one afternoon and played Bali Hai too.

Thankfully I got a decent rate, something like $250 off what they charge for morning plays.  When I got to the course, it was pretty empty (should have figured that though, for what they charge most people).  I had heard some things about the course, and also knew it had hosted the Big Break once, a show on the Golf Channel for those who haven't heard of it before.

Pretty much, I didn't have any real high expectations of the course.  I mean, I figured it would be a typcial Vegas type course, very over the top and a lot of eye candy.  Truth be told, it really was a lot of eye candy, but it was also a very good and fun golf course.  And I wont lie, it was fun looking at some of the huge resorts while playing, as the course is literally right on the strip.

The course had some pretty good holes too.  The third hole was a favorite of mine, with a stream running along the right side of the entire hole, protecting the best angle into the green.  The green had a huge ridge that left me with the hardest thirty foot putt I had had in a long while.  I think I played ten feet of break and barely tapped the thing.

The seventh was another cool hole, a double dogleg par-5 that challenges the longer player to give it a go.  I tried going for it, but got caught up in the fairway bunker off the tee and made a quick six.  The layup shot is a good too, as a big bunker disects the fairway and challenges the player to gain the best angle into the green, which had some fun slopes in it that are, at least for me, hard to negotiate.

There was another real cool hole, the fifteenth which reminded me immediately of some of the pictures I have seen of #5 (6?) at Cypress Point.  Obviously the hole isn't near that quality but there was an absolutely mammoth looking left fairway bunker that needed to be carried to hit the kicker slope that would afford the player to have a go at the hole in two.  The green was fun, as it was relatively flat in front but then had a ridge in the middle that dove three feet sloping away, which makes back pins interesing.

So overall, it was a fun course.  It wasn't anywhere near one of my favorites I've ever played or the best architecturally, but it was a lot better than I thought it was going to be.  The guy in the pro shop even let me go out and play a few extra holes because I got done early, and that was pretty cool.  
So, I guess if anyone is in the Las Vegas area, and can figure out a good rate here, then its worth a play.
Its not great, but it was a lot better than my expectations and I really enjoyed my time.
Cheers.

Jin Kim

Re:Bali Hai
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2007, 01:32:02 PM »
BH probably won't get any respect here, but I also enjoyed playing it. No features stood out for me, but it was in good condition, caddies were competent and I scored well. Would I pay $500 if it weren't in Vegas, probably not.  But I figure I'm saving money playing golf rather than playing cards.

Jordan Wall

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2007, 01:35:15 PM »
Jin,

$500?
Wow!

I got on for $95 and even got to play 22 holes.
So I must have gotten a steal!

Its a very, well, over the top course, but fun as mentioned.
Cheers.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2007, 02:27:55 PM »
Jordan, I had the great pleasure of playing there with the Mad Armenian and the Emperor. One of the general aspects that we talked about was how the archie choose to traverse the rolls and reparians perpendicularly versus using them effectively lengthwise.

As you mention, some of the features were quite good and even some were counter-intuitive. However, as a whole the whisper was C&S might've phoned that one in.

BTW, Did you happen to be playing the par 3 next to the runway while a plane was taking off?
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Jordan Wall

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2007, 05:27:09 PM »
Adam,

Yes I did actually, the sixth hole I think.
I caught my nine-iron fat as a plane zoomed above my head and almost went into the water.

On a side note I am having a hard time recalling specific features on a few of the holes, because I whizzed around by myself in less then 2.5 hours, but I recall liking the eighth hole a lot too.  Solid hole.

Do you think the course would have been better with more holes lengthwise?
I dont think I could stand too many holes like the first.
While I did like that hole, it was pretty short and very easy.  One of those holes was enough for me.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2007, 06:03:36 PM »
Jordan, It's been many many moons since we were there, but as I recall, using the ridges as diagonals would've given the course more interest and less predictability. But thats resort golf for you.

I think we're talking about different runway holes. The one I refer to faced the runway and was much longer. Perhaps around 12-14??

"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

astavrides

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2007, 06:27:47 PM »
Jordan, I had the great pleasure of playing there with the Mad Armenian and the Emperor. One of the general aspects that we talked about was how the archie choose to traverse the rolls and reparians perpendicularly versus using them effectively lengthwise.

As you mention, some of the features were quite good and even some were counter-intuitive. However, as a whole the whisper was C&S might've phoned that one in.

BTW, Did you happen to be playing the par 3 next to the runway while a plane was taking off?

doesnt seem like a wise one for them to have phoned in considering the visibility it gets because of its location.  (ive never played it).

Jordan Wall

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2007, 07:28:01 PM »
Adam,

#6 is has the tee box, at least for the back tees, about 20 feet from the strip and coincidentally the airport is directly across the street.

The hole you are referring to is #14, which is actually a good hole.  It played brutal for me though, because from the backs it was 242 and a back pin.  And I cant really recall any airplanes there.  In fact, the only one I really specifically remember was the one on #6.  There very many that flew over the course though.  I found that rather intruiging, and a cool aspect, if anything for originailty.

And now that I think about it, using the ridges differently, perhaps diagonally, would have made for a better set of holes.  The course lacks variety, and I can definitely see how a different routing may have fixed that little problem.  However, I really liked all of the par-3's, even though four of the five presented man made water hazards.

Like #11, that was just a great hole.  To a back pin, I chicked my eight iron to the front right of the green and elected to chip the ball instead of putting up and back down the ridge.  A very, very clever green and a really cool little hole.

Tim Bert

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2007, 08:17:53 PM »
I played the course earlier this year and it exceeded my expectations as well.  I chose it because I had limited time to play and I needed something close to the strip at a "reasonable" price.  I played for $125, which seemed fair given the convenience and the location.  I wouldn't recommend it for any more money than that, but they seem to run a lot of deals on the online last second tee time sites.  I don't think they've got too many people biting at the $250-$300 rate, but they leave it that way to see what they can get, knowing that a good number of players will fill in at the more reasonable market rate.

There were some interesting holes, and I liked the mix of seeing the strip, playing a hole that looked like a tropical paradise but with a gas station prominently displayed behind the green, and planes taking off a couple hundred feet away.

I enjoyed the round as much as Reflection Bay and Canyons, which are a couple of the other courses I've played in the area.  I did not like Bali Hai as much as Primm Valley.  Considering I paid about the same there for 36 as I did at Bali Hai for 18, I'd recommend it if you've got transportation - it's a bit more of a drive.

Andrew Balakshin

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2007, 10:36:34 AM »
If I had know you were going to Vegas I would have let you in on the little bit of juicy gossip that TPC Canyons is only $5 for juniors. Darn good deal for Vegas and not a bad course either.

Steve Okula

« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2007, 01:15:40 PM »
Does anyone know who designed Bali Hai?
The small wheel turns by the fire and rod,
the big wheel turns by the grace of God.

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2007, 01:21:16 PM »
Schmidt and Curley are the architects of record.

"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back